Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the crown?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default What is the crown?

Pardon my ignorance but what is ment by "the crown of a barrel" and what makes it good or bad?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i am also interested know it is bad to damage the crown of barrel causes great loss in accuracy i have heard

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you look at the muzzle end of a barrel, (don't do this with a loaded gun !!), you will see that the bore of the barrel finishes with a chamfer.

Some barrels are deeply cut, like BSA others have a very mild cut, like the AA Pro-Target.

That is the crown.

Neil

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

basically where the pellet exit the rifling

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Crown is extremely important, is cut at a certain degree so that all expanding gases leave the barrel in the same manor, which means as little interference with the projectile as possible.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Niel,
    You have read that Moose some times do not put a pellet in his rifle when he shoots. If he is not sure if he did, he blows down the barrel to see if there is resistance. The rifle is cocked!!!! some times with a pellet and some times without. Do you think he will not look down the barrel if he has enough balls to stick a loaded rifle's bartrrel into his mouth? :beer:

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I will rather not comment on that, that's really f................................. !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

And Moose, in defence you say what? Seems to me you are getting a reputation here, which may or may not be deserved.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You know what Kobus, I really hope that's not true. To do that is really stupid and irresponsible !
    A accident like that (at a competition) is really the LAST thing FT shooters need.
    Think people think !

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The primary purpose of a muzzle crown is to provide gases a resistance free path away from all parts of the pellet as it exits the bore of the barrel. The secondary purpose is to protect the bore from damage caused by misuse. The third purpose is for good looks which is always achieved when the primary purpose is satisfied.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri May 06 2005, 10:14AM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Here is something to do to an OLD rifle that you DON'T like.

http://www.funsupply.com/airguns/Muz...0Procedure.htm

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

gerrie you are talking kuk the rifle is definitly not cocked when i do this yes i admit i do it whcih is stupid but it is not cocked might be stupid but not that stupid

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I know I am going to regret asking this question, but here goes:

Moose, why do you not just cock the rifle and discharge it into the ground?

A pellet costs how much ?

If you are just about to spend a sizable bundle of cash on a rifle, I think you can afford to waste a little compressed air and a pellet or two.

Would you put the barrel of a possibly loaded.308 W in your mouth, cocked or not!!

There is NO difference, a firearm is a firearm.

Stay safe Moose, and waste a pellet or two into the ground.

Neil

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Have you ever seen what happens to a persons head when he sticks a barrel into his mouth ? ? ?

Not very pretty !

Being a skerpskutter in the army for many a year & a cop for 5 plus , you get to see all sorts !

Mind you , biggest escape I saw , an indian guy stuck a .22 in his mouth to " end it & all " , landed up with a hole in his pallet , & a hole all the way through his head , bullet neatly between left & right halves of his brain ! ! Couple a days in hos & home !

'Nuther one , black dude , shot himself in the side of the pip , bullet ( 9mmP ) went through , ricochet off wall , through plate glass window , & into tree accross the road . We called motuary van , although he was still breathing , pile of brains on ground ! After an hour cancelled mortuary van & called ambo , he lived for 3 days , just goes to show , the security guard at the gate can actually live with out a brain ! !

Moral of story , think before you do some thing , a kid may copy you , with tragic results !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There's a nice bit in the book "Trigger to Target" about crowns. How a misformed crown initiates yaw in the pellet - thus the aerodynamics have already gone to pot in the first inch of the pellets flight.

Hmm an AA pellet costs approx 0.12c (about 1p NeilM?) - worth to check IMO.