Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silencer stealing your thunder?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Silencer stealing your thunder?

Awe dudes,

So I took my s410 and BAM to the range today. Being a firearm range , there was no need for silencers om my guns...here's the thing though...

At the end of my shoot, I put my silencer back on the BAM and just wanted to make sure it still hits the same spot at 45m.

My rifle was at 125 BAR. It performs best between 160 and 100. Now, the shot WITH the silencer on , hit 3cm below the previous shot without the silencer on. That is a massive difference in power! I double checked this by taking the silencer off again...

I knew the silencer would take some of your power but THAT MUCH?!!

Anyone a expert on this? And also, is the decline in power less at higher preasure, thus is the decline exponetial?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Braam. it is not the power that is lower. it is the muzzle flip that is less due to the weight up front..

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the power is not decreasing....the point of impact is only shifting slightly downwards...quite common on semi free floating barrels when silencers are fitted...

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

It does not take any of your power.it is i think more weight on the end of the barrel.Thus giving a bit of droop.

I have chronoed my S400 with and without.there is no change in speed.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

it is like some people wondering why heavy pellets hit higher.. it is because the pellet stays in the barrel longer due to slower acceleration thus exiting the barrel as the barrel is pointing higher due to muzzle flip and recoil as apposed to the lighter faster accelerating pellet which hits lower.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

wow so there's a subject I obviously knew nothing about!
    Thanks Guys

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    it is like some people wondering why heavy pellets hit higher.. it is because the pellet stays in the barrel longer due to slower acceleration thus exiting the barrel as the barrel is pointing higher due to muzzle flip and recoil as apposed to the lighter faster accelerating pellet which hits lower.

I think this one applies to heavy bullets in firearms - I've never observed it with any airgun.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I agree with Dale...highly unlikely that is happening in an air rifle...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

take a springer guys. I have seen it with these own eyes with my own springers. I aggree due to the low recoil in a pcp you dont see it as often but springers it is a known phenomenon..

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

possibly in springers yes, you are correct...due to the stronger ecoil..

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

a little pic to help explain

http://www.arld1.com/rifledynamicssmaller.html

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ChairGun says it shoots lower with the same "point of zero" and all other things equal, but only AFTER that point, it falls away significantly fromt the lighter pellets. I used 7.9,8.4 and 10.5s The 7.9 obviously shoots the flatetest trajectory. If you use the zero for the lightst point it shoots lower on CharGun and in pratice using a PCP. About springers I don't know, I haven't shot a springer in a coons age.
    Last edited by gerrief; 22-05-08 at 09:13.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I aggree Gerrie, but one thing chairgun does not take into consideration is recoil. it simply cannot estimate how much your rifle will recoil as apposed to the next.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Very interesting thread especially the dynamics of spring guns. Had forgotten about that site.
    Have organised a meeting with the chaps tomorrow to show them the demos - on the big screen with projector.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

yes, we always forget how slow the pellet actualy travels and how much effect the forces on the rifle have on barrel movement during that period of time. Another interesting experiment is to shoot prone with a springer from your hand and shoot from a rest and see how much higher the pellet from the rest hits the target. this is because on your hand in prone the rifle can rotate down with the forward recoild but on a rest not.