Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: starting advice

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default starting advice

Well, I've been lurking around for a few days reading the various threads and I figured it was time to post.

I'm quite interested in taking up air rifles mainly just for plinking in my spare time. I don't have a lot of money available at the moment so I really can't afford to drop R10k on a rifle and various kit; and for that matter I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much on something I might not take up seriously. So I've decided to limit myself to R2k budget to start with.

So my question is, what should I be looking for? I assume a basic entry level springer, but I'm not too sure what I can get for that money.

A few things to consider:
    I'm 190cm (6'3") tall; so I have fairly long arms and don't want to be cramped with a really short rifle? Is this even much of a concern?
    My eyesight is terrible, so I need to purchase a scope as well; this will definitely affect what I can get as it needs to be factored into R2k.
    I would rather buy something used since I understand you can get much better deals this way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

R2k is a bit thin around the waist for a scope as well

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

best you can hope for is a 2nd hand cfx maybe.. gonna have to search around though to get one with an allright scope

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    best you can hope for is a 2nd hand cfx maybe.. gonna have to search around though to get one with an allright scope
    I agree. Rather save a bit and don't rush. You will just be dissapointed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I agree. Rather save a bit and don't rush. You will just be dissapointed.
    Not really rushing. This has been a consideration for a few months already. Unfortunately there's too much other stuff I have to save for currently to be able to allocate additional funds to this, so I don't see my budget growing by much.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

thing is R2k is close if you go the 2nd hand cfx route. 2.5k will give you a cfx with a desent scope. 2k you will have to hunt around and maybe wiat some months. Tehn again with the interest rates going up 3 times more this year with what looks an ultimate min of 2% you may get lucky sooner..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    thing is R2k is close if you go the 2nd hand cfx route. 2.5k will give you a cfx with a desent scope. 2k you will have to hunt around and maybe wiat some months. Tehn again with the interest rates going up 3 times more this year with what looks an ultimate min of 2% you may get lucky sooner..
    If an extra R500 means getting something decent then I'm prepared to do that as long as it's a worthy deal. I'll have to keep my eye out for a cfx then

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

and make sure the scope is good quality. post here before you buy. You may even get one here just dont be impatient.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Listen to JT's good advice!!! Ask the guys on the forum before you buy. You might end up with a "bad" deal because of an uninformed decission. JT ask your "secret" source to be on the lookout for a good gun for Cairbre!!

Goodnight!!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

hehe.. yeah will keep an eye open

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Secret source? interesting! What else does your souce get?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yup, 1st rifle that sprung to mind was the CFX. Good allround rifle. Try before you buy though... And okay I know this'd be outa ur budget, but maybe just see if you can take a few shots with a PCP (any kind will do) , just so you know the difference between the classes and so you can be sure you buying what you really want

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

dunno Curt. It is fairly random

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Good suggestion Vuilhond - best thing to do is go to one of the club shoots and speak to a couple of guys - i'm sure most would be quite willing to let you check out their equipment and possibly have a few shot to get the feel of them. Also who knows, maybe JT's "source" will be their...... hehe
    Seriously though, you'd be able to make a more informed decision this way - who knows the bug might just bite you big time - I know!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Secret sauce... sounds tastey mmm

Added my location. I see most of you guys are in cpt. I'll have to see about going to club in jhb sometime. Are there any particular scopes I should look for? Or more to the point, are there some I should avoid like a plague? Also how important is it having a scope with a mildot reticle?

Otherwise thanks for the advice.