Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pro-Target Stock

REP: Tula!! Silencers

User Info Menu

Default New Pro-Target Stock

Up until now i have only refurbished stocks or done final shaping and finishing on some of Piets stocks. For my 60th birthday present my wife was, to say the least shocked and stunned, when i requested a R2000 block of laminated wood. I got the wood but with a lot of comments like don't mess it up, etc. The project i have set for myself is to make up a new stock for my Pro Target ( picture below) which was the original stock but in its 14 years of life has been broken and repaired, painted and stripped a few times. The last person who stripped it back to its original state and finished it off to how it is now was COR and he did quite a nice job of it.

Air Arms Pro-Target

This little rifle is a keeper it is bloody accurate and light to lug around.

The laminate i purchased from S&O is a Boyd stock block called Forest Camo which is made up of Grey, Green and Brown laminates.
    After studying it for two months i took it to Oom Piet and discussed what i wanted to do and Piet asked his able assistant,Henko, to help me as he had a bit of spare time available on his machine. I had marked the block on the top as it needed to be cut prior to inletting, so Henko proeeded to glue the block down nice and square an programmed the machine to do what i wanted.

First stage complete, Second stage a bit more involved as the rifle mechanism has to be measured and drawn on the cad system, this is very much a check 6 times cut once operation and as it was the first stock inletting, that Henko was doing as well, we double and triple checked everything. Stock was lifted and turned around and glued back to the table all leveled etc. Then with both of us holding our breathe we started the cutting process......

Well all the Double and Triple checking paid off as it need very little tweaking before it fit that mechanism like a glove .... all can say is thanks to Henko for a job done very well first time.... wow ....and a big thank you to Piet and Bets, for letting Henko do it for me, i really appreciate it.

Will post more pictures as it progresses ......
    Last edited by Mark H; 30-06-16 at 11:10.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Good luck with the build oom Grumpy

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Wow it looks good so far, can't wait for an update.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Looks like it's going to be amazing once completed!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes, must admit, looks good hey. I really enjoy hand-made things and treasure them due to the personal effort put in - Well done old chap, it will be nice to see the end product

REP: Ratel Sporting Airguns
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Niceeeee kwagga enjoy
    Also wants ones of those machines

Cheers

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yummmmmm!
    Excellent work and laminate choice!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

That particular laminate in those colours is very popular and in demand. Some limited editions of rifles come in that laminate.
    It's gonna be awesomely beautiful I just know it. I hav a soft spot for laminated stocks. Can't wait to see the end result.
    Nice!

REP: Xtreme Airguns

User Info Menu

Verrrrrrrrry niccccce uncle H.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Very very nice man love that laminate great pick can't wait to see the results!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for all the nice comments .... Hoping to be able to draw the basic profile and cut it this weekend then the shaping will start. Will put up pictures as i progress .....

REP: NeonSales
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Good Stuff![emoji106]

User Info Menu

Marked out basic design and went to Piets to cut it out on the bandsaw and drilled out the trigger hole and the start of a thumb hole. Then went home and started doing some shaping.

Bear in mind that the shaping that has been done so far is very rough and I had to take a lot of excess off.
    Last edited by Mark H; 02-07-16 at 22:54.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Wow looks really cool, interesting that the forest lam has thinner laminates than the original, wonder how much heavier it will be once done? REALLY regret selling that rifle now! Damn!

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Starting to look like a rifle, keep us updated Oom Mark.