Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning barrels

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning barrels

Most of the "knowledgable" guys will tell you to use sergical spirits as the cleaning agent for your barrel, but i find it doesnt clean it properly.
    If i run the cloth throu, and replace them till they come out clean, and then i put a last cloth through with some napier throu, it comes out filthy... i find that to work alot better... Or am i smoking my socks? Does anyone know of any other "better" cleaning solvent? i useto use Trisol before i learnt it wasnt good for the seals, and that took the cherry of the cake for cleaning well.....
    !dodge

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm hardly knowledgable myself but ... you know what Jason, to be honest, I don't know about this barrel cleaning lark. Okay I may be using a low power rifle, but, at first, I went along with the manual - cleaning every 500 pellets. Then I went a couple of thousand pellets, and my last stint I shot 8 thousand pellets before I cleaned.
    You know what? It made sod all difference.
    Maybe I'm such a bad shot I can't tell if groups are opening up or not, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

I have noticed that after cleaning a barrel though - my groups do go worse at first.

Anyways... I'll see you tomorrow? I've packed your gloves in.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i clean my s400 after nearly every time i shoot which will range from 300 -500 shots

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

avion dont know where you get that you are such a bad shot every time i have shot at leeukop and at jasons range you either came tie for 1st or 1st. you a damn good shot!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey even a blind pig finds a truffle occasionally. :

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hehe

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

avion, i really agree with you, i havnt cleaned my barrel once since i got my gun from the same reason as you said, did'nt want to say anythingg but i know some smart was going to give me cuck... hehe

but guess what i did yesterday... are you ready for a shocker guys????
    you ready?????

I used a phosphur bronze brush to clean my barrel...

yip, scratching sound as it went down my barrel... but i decided something....
    A lappie with whatever liquid you use, will only whipe the ridges clean (hence in my eyes doing nothing to the grouping, resulting in not cleaning my barrel anymore since it feels it does nothing), but what about the lead build up in the grooves? i feel you need something to run through the grooves to Brush out that lead, i dont believe it sits in there loosly enough for a lappie to remove it....

I useto clean my BSA hornet with a brush all the time, and that thing shot better then any gun ive owned so far, so im just going to see what happens....

Smaries, what you say? %-6

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Take a pellet, dip it in Napier, drop it in the dirt then load and shoot it - same thing. j/k

When I've used a 'lappie' I have noticed the rilfing grooves leaving dirty marks on it. So I would guess it's getting 'in there' and not just on the lands.

Maybe if you shoot dirty pellets (ahem) then that would account for the grooves blocking up some.

I basically stipped my rifle today - stock, scope, mounts, trigger, silcencer and gave the barrel a thorough cleaning.
    First ten shots were all over the show @ 35m - back to normal again now though.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Firmly believe in giving the barrel a scrubbing with a "bronze" brush every four months or so. Does wonders for my grouping.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Moose,
    Now we will not be able to talk to man any more...his head will so damn big it is not worth metioning. He will probably buy an EV or something to fit his immage now. I must just convince him to use decent pellets.LOL

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

found the best way to clean your barrel is to run some AA's through it

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I have done about 2000 pellets through my HW97K springer since my last cleaning and have found no accuracy problems.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have done about 4-5000 through mine, clean with patches ... haven't seen any problems either.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

After doing research for 2 days I have found the best way to clean an airgun barrel ...
    ... whichever way you find best ...
    :rude:

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

so im not the only one "damaging" my barrel with a brush lewis?