Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decanting

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Decanting

I'm looking at getting a small scuba bottle to carry out to shoots etc..

Just wondering how easy it would be to decant of my main 12L to say a 3L buddy bottle.

Would it just be a case of connecting them up to one another, open the valves and allow the pressure to equalise (Considering both bottle are rated the same pressure), then close the valves and bleed off the air in the connector pipes?

Sounds about right to me - just wondering though.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yes thats it...
    except that if you start with 200 bar in your 12L you will end up with about 160 bar in each

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Also true - but I'm a bit fed up of lugging the 12L around. It takes up the only passenger seat I have in the bakkie - plus I don't like leaving it in the sun when I go on a hunt. I reckon the 3L is light enough to carry around, plus I saw this funky backpack thing in the UK for a 3L that you don't have to even take it off to fill up your rifle.
    I guess I'll have to trade off some air.

Any idea how much a 3L goes for? Been waiting for a price for three days now - dive shop a bit slow. :<

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

thats a bit swuk, so i take it ur gun will only be able to be filled to 160 or say about 152, he he. waste of time in my opinion, sure a 232bar 12L would work well with a 200bar 3L or is that going a bit much, say with the 232bar!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No wait a minute .... lemme think.. urgh okay that hurts.. anyways....

The 3L would not drop to below 170bar - my minimum fill. (max being 175). So the 12L would just top up the 3L to 232bar (if that's it rating). Now when the 12L get's down to 232bar - then it's all maths and hard stuff, easier rather just to refill the 12L at that stage.
    I pay R25.00 a fill, not that expensive. Currently a fill lasts me three months unless I'm filling other peoples rifles.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

232 bar divided by 15 x 12 = 185 bar in each

you are just sharing that 232 bar in your original 12L cylinder into 15L of cylinder space hence 185bar in each

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That is if the 3L is at 0 bar though innit guido?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

wernt you saying that you new a guy that would fill your scuba tank to 280bar or was that lewis or some one else??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nope t'was not me moose.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

mabye was gerrie f

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

yes assuming your 3L is empty...
    Its not really a good idea AVion since you will only get a few useful fills from both unless your rifles run below 150 bars

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yeah, the amount of fills will be less. If I find a cheap small cylinder I'll give it a go though.

Thanx for the input anyways.

was refresh, thats why he drive so slow on sand roads, he's got his cylinder under his seat and preys all the way home, he he he he!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

heh - why do you think his tank and rifle got left in the back of bakkie when I drove home yesterday. no way was that sitting next to me in the cab. !amazed

hows his whole situation that happened yesterday, is everything ok?