Thread: Help with ranging

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Help with ranging

I want to take part in the Wonderboom event on Saturday, which will be my very first event... I intend to to use my Gamo CFX but I have absolutely no idea how to compensate for the various distances?!?! Any help will be appreciated, I've got the rest of the week to practise as I'm on leave(I know this is not alot of time, and I don't expect miracles)

I have been shooting BR targets at 25yards and getting one hole groups...but this is obviously very different from FT-shooting

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Ant. download chairgun plug in your velocity and pellets and distance between scope and bore. zero her for 15m then she will come though line of sight @ about 35 again. Also set up your mildots in cahirgun and the zoom you are shooting at. Your velocity should be in the region of about 830 and if you shoot with AA or JSB then pick the righ pellet from the list. Then use Chairgun's "Reticle" to create you a reticle. works like a charm. You should end up with something like this.
    Last edited by JTK; 29-08-10 at 20:34.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Also, I would suggest you shoot HFT as this will probably be more satisfying for a first time out. Good luck. CFX's are sweet!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I did download the piece of software, but I have no idea where to begin?!?! I'll read through the Help file...but can you just guide me in the right direction to get started please JT

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

hehe.. play around with it.. for now.. give me the measurements and I will make you a reticle. I need:

1) height between centre of scope and boreline. usualy 4-5cm but get the correct one
    2) You will probably shoot at 9x zoom. put a ruler up at 10m and see how far the mildots are appart @ 9x zoom. it is better to see how much measurment all the mildots are and then divide that through the amount of spaces. to get the distance between the mildots
    Usually mildots are set up @ 10x but not sure whre yours will be. The scope on the weihraugh, is it an airking? if so consider putting that on the CFX because in my opinion that is an excelent HFT scope. and it is set up @ 10x.
    3) what pellets you are going to shoot with.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Also, why dont you shoot with the 57? it should be a smoother shooter than the cfx. Who tuned your CFX and what was done to it if I may ask?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Unfortunately my Weihrauch is in Durban with family at the moment.... My dad used to shoot .762 Bisley...and he has been gunsmithing since before I was born...He is actually a retired engineer...We de-burred all sharp edges, took of the muzzlebreak and properly crowned the frontend of the barrel in a lathe... Made a new Tophat out of Naval Brass with a Nylotron spacer to act like a thrust bearing. Made to fit snugly in the piston but keeping the weight the same It basically cancels out a lot of the rotational/coiling force of the spring because of the smooth surface.....New spring guide...unfortunately I haven't been able to source a replacement/upgrade spring. Shorten the stock by 10mm to suit me. Packed the stock with shock absorbing material and added 1kg of weight to the stock....Balances beautifully also very stable because of the extra weight.... Polished the sear of the stock trigger but put in a longer adjustment screw. And then obviously properly lubing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

1) height between centre of scope and boreline. usualy 4-5cm but get the correct one - 5cm
    2) You will probably shoot at 9x zoom. put a ruler up at 10m and see how far the mildots are appart @ 9x zoom. it is better to see how much measurment all the mildots are and then divide that through the amount of spaces. to get the distance between the mildots 6.8mm between dots
    Usually mildots are set up @ 10x but not sure whre yours will be. The scope on the weihraugh, is it an airking? if so consider putting that on the CFX because in my opinion that is an excelent HFT scope. and it is set up @ 10x.
    3) what pellets you are going to shoot with. Hopefully AirArms FT...(The guy from Rescomp said he is expecting his stock on Friday)

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

sweet! your tune sounds just about perfect She should shoot like a dream now. You should get yourself a GRTIII trigger blade to finish off all the hard work. And keep the stock spring till it breaks. You may need a new tophat and guide if you change to another spring as the diameters are not always the same. that said. heatshrink over the guide works well to thicken it a bit. If you change springs order the terantula from Maccari. drops speed to about 800 but is much more consistant.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Ant,

your scope height sounds right. Your mildots sound a little close togehter. Just double check. Anyways. here is a reticle based on 830fps/ 5cm scope height/ AAfield/ 9x zoom/ 6.8mm between mildots @ 10m/ rifle zero'd @ 15m

Print this out and stick it to your stock as a note. You are allowed to do it.
    Last edited by JTK; 29-08-10 at 20:34.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I want to find out do you adjust your reticle first then the AO...or do you adjust the AO to the indicated 10metre mark and then adjust the reticle to get a clear picture??
    Attached is a illustration of what my reticle looks like...I measured from the crosshair to the thick edge 34mm and divided it by 5 as there are 5 spaces...

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Ant. you cannot adjust your reticle. the rear adjustment is like a diopter adjsutment on a camera with a lcd viewfinder. You are just adjusting the scope to fit your eyes. On low mag it does nto make that big a diffs. what you should do is turn zoom to max. set your AO to infinity. look up in to the sky and adjust the eye piece until the reticle is in focus. look away and at the reticle briefly to escertain this focus. if you keep looking at the reticle then your eyes will autofocus and you will see it in focus all the way through the adjustment if your eyes are pretty good. now for the AO. dont trust the AO markings. You need to work these out for yourself. However if you shoot HFT it is not that critical as you are not allowed to adjust the AO during the shoot anyways. I suggest you put it around 20-25m and dont touch it again after you have zero'ed your gun @ 15m. You will see that you battle a bit @ 10m to focus now but at least you will see 50 fine.