Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Race Gun" reliability?

REP: Atom Precision Sport

User Info Menu

Default "Race Gun" reliability?

Hi

This thread is not about which make is best or most reliable and I?m not interested in opening that can of worms again, so if possible keep brand out of it. I?ve been pondering on the idea of buying a proper FT ?race gun? for quite a while. It most probably is not going to improve my very modest scores and is more a matter of I WANT ONE. Have not really decided between Walther, Steyr, EV or PT but at the moment, I guess, I?m leaning more towards the looks of the AA rifles. I am however a bit hesitant to take the leap. Listening to people talk at the FT events it seems like these fancy rifles are quite fiddly? I hear comments like: ?Had to get the regulator serviced last week?, ?Some or other leak acted up again? ?Bought a new XYZ a short while ago and its back at the agents for the n-th time ? Are these rifles really high maintenace when compared to something standard lets say a AA400, FX etc. What sort of service intervals are there on these race guns? I mean where it has to go back to the agents, not the typical DIY maintenace like cleaning barrel etc. Are there really issues to be aware of or am I making to much out of maybe a few isolated cases? Maybe the owners of these rifles just expect too much? Maybe owners fiddle too much with them and that?s causing problems?

Your views and experiences would be greatly appreciated! And remember to say my ?XYZ race gun? rather than ?My Walther? or ?EV? or whatever

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Buy one, it is not all that bad mine is 11 years old and acording to the agents it has nerver been back, it is going back now though it is leaking and i cant get enough velocity out of it

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've got two "raceguns". You are welcome to test shoot both of them. Just arrange with me for time and place. A nice venue could be my personal range.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

They are good and very consistant. If something little goes wrong it has big implications.
    The only mechanical difference raceguns have is the regulator and trigger, the rest is all basically the same.

more complicated designs + more moving parts = more maintenance?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Arnold has got it spot on - the more complex, the greater the chance of a problem. Keep a regular maintenance period though and you should not get major issues

And for the record I think Arnold is bonkers selling his Pro-Target - it is one of the easiest to maintain, reliable and fuss free race guns there is. My own personal Pro-Target has never once in 8 years let me down during a competition, in that time I have had the regulator serviced three times, no other parts have needed to be changed beyond the two o-rings in the regulator during those services.

P.S. mitchejc - I have known that particular rifle since the day it was bought brand new from Nick Jenkinson by Jamie Webb, I subsequently owned it for a while before I brought it into SA for Neil Gouws, and can recommend it most highly if you are going to add it to your considerations.
    Last edited by Dale; 28-05-08 at 15:16.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HGS View Post
    Buy one, it is not all that bad mine is 11 years old and acording to the agents it has nerver been back, it is going back now though it is leaking and i cant get enough velocity out of it
    That's what I want to hear

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    I've got two "raceguns". You are welcome to test shoot both of them. Just arrange with me for time and place. A nice venue could be my personal range.
    Thanks Goose, I may just take you up on that offer. I'll bring the beer

User Info Menu

Arnold, Dale: What you are saying makes a lot of sense.

Yes Dale, I've eyed Arnold's PT ad on the forum quite a few times to check if the price has not miraculously came down a little bit. It’s a reasonable price for that rifle so there is obviously no reason to lower the price. If I could only manage to coax Arnold into a black or turkish walnut custom stock for one of his other rifles as part payment who knows…

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If anything the price on that PT of mine will only go up ... same as petrol prices

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I have not had any problems with my gun(other than a few 6" problems ).It is reliable to the Nth degree.

Race guns in my mind need a bit of qualified love from time to time.

A non regulated gun is just so easy to maintain.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

My W@!#&r has fired more than 50 000 shots, and besides the mods that was done to it in the beginning, no maintenance what so ever has been neccasary to be done to it. Not even an "O" ring has been replaced.

The new one's come with the mods already done to it in the factory, as the Germans finally litened to us, after ignoring the English that was telling them what to do. Thanks to Dale for putting us up with the right leads, to be able to make the mod's, and sort them out once, and for all.The results, speak for them self.

James, at the end of the day, you must pick the one that appeals to you, and that you feel comfortable with. They are all capable of outshooting all of us, and in the right hands, they can win any comp in the world. No matter what brand name is engraved on the side. They are all very accurate rifles. You must just set it up, to suit your style, and physique.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

James,
    You are so lucky. Nobody has had any better and sensible advice on to top it all, in the time I am reading this forum. You are also the first and probably the only one, except myself, that is honest enough to say that you want it because you want it, not because it would push your scores up. One of the main reasons I have what I have is because of back-up, at my back door.

User Info Menu

Piet, thanks very much for the info and great advice. Considering the amount of shots thru your rifle it’s an academic question but I wonder if there is a theoretical lifetime to air rifle barrels as well? I’ve heard the center fire rifle guys talk about something like 7 seconds for certain calibres which equates to a certain number of shots at an average velocity. I guess air rifle barrels will probably last forever…

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Airrifle barrels will out last your childrens children, the only thing that will destroy them is rust definetly not shooting lead pellets.

User Info Menu

Gerrief: Aggree 100%. Yes, lol. I've been shooting FT since 2004 and realise by now I'm not going to be the next up and coming champ No amount of equipment will work that miracle for me I am however having lots of fun in the midpack and this new rifle thing is an itch that comes and goes. At some stage, I guess, I'll have to scratch it.