Thread: BSA Lightning XL Tuning

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default BSA Lightning XL Tuning

Does anyone know of someone who can assist me in some advise and the actual job on tuning my BSA Lightning XL (gas ram or Venom kit?). I am in JHB and Randburg to be more specific, not really sure where to start and I don't want to go the route of importing the kit on my own and not knowing what to do with it once it arrives, I'd rather go with someone who has had success with tuning this rifle into a nice smooth shooter.

Also, what kind of improvements can be made to this rifle?
    What kind of price can I expect to pay for a complet set up?

Look forward to any advice you all can provide.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Start off with lubing it properly, see what it does and then decide. The kits you are speaking of will probably equal the price of the rifle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Adrian. I have seen many threads on v-mach's and gas rams, maccari etc and the price of these in the threads are in the region of R1000 R1500, granted they might not be for the same rifle but will they really cost in the region of R4500, that is pretty much what I paid for my BSA XL (FAC)?

Secondly, please educate me around the "lubing" I really am new to this.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

V-Mach kit will transform your BSA into a really tight shooting little rig.
    I have done mine and it is superb.

make sure you order the 12 ft\lbs kit from him...

Gasram is nice but cannot be serviced once it fails...it is a sealed unit

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear, in your message you mention that I should make sure I order the 12 ft\lbs kit from him............, my next question is who is him, I would like to get some prices and not sure who to ask.

Please help.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I order my V-Mach kits directly from Steve Pope

v-mach@blueyonder.co.uk

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Guido, ok, I got a very swift response from the guys and they quoted me 79.70 pound for shipping etc, are there any other costs that I need to be aware of or is this all inclusive, customs etc?

Also, the pic of the kit consists of a spring, what appears to be a few washers, piston and two different lubes, one in a squeez bottle and one in a small jar.

Is this the correct stuff? I'm not sure how to upload pics yet so cannot post a pic?

Please advise if the price quoted which includes packaging and postage is all includsive or is there something on the SA side which I will only know of once the kit arrives at customs?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

That's the kit...you will pay VAT once it arrives.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Bullseye, i have a 12fpe BSA XL that i stripped and did a simple "lube tune" which made a big improvement in the firing cycle. A kit would make an even bigger improvement no doubt about it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Going to order a v-mach kit in 12ft \lbs for it, just waiting on confirmation of payment process and an ETA if I place the order today\tomorrow. Sounds the best route to go and at the end of the day, I want to enjoy my rifle and want it to perform to it's full potential. If I'm going to go to all the effort of stripping it (to lube tune) I might as well fit the kit and get it sorted right hey.

Thanks to all for your replies, once again, there is no other place to get this broad base of knowledge and industry contacts on such short notice. This forum is a great place to meet other Air-gunners and learn.

It can however become and expensive past time, I am already contemplating a HW97 HC as my potential next buy.

User Info Menu

If the V-Mach kit does to your rifle what it did to mine you will just love it. Just shout if you want a hand installing it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Adrian, much appreciate your gesture, I'll have a read of the instructions once I receive the kit and then assess the work involved. Thanks for the offer.

User Info Menu

Please remember to use a spring compressor when taking the rifle apart.