Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Powers

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

Default High Powers

High power?.
    Oooooooo?.. Some people get the Shiva?s when someone mentions that name?.
    I would just like to express my opinion on the high power story. More towards Arnold as we spoke about this matter in a different thread.
    When everyone starts this game, most of us want a high power if Im not mistaken, well I did anyway, especially since I hunted a lot?. Now I have had two high power rifles, and they were both shot on 12ft/lbs.
    Reason?
    On high power, you use a lot of air, you can?t group nearly as well as on 12ft/lbs or so. Some might say the speed gives you a better trajectory, which is true, but how will that help you if you going to hit the bird through the arse?. I found that if I take my rifle and shoot it in a dead rest, it can group on high power, but if you out in the field, it doesn?t perform?. Shots fly off if you don?t follow through 100% (I think has to do with the recoil of the rifle on the higher power setting). Pellets get unstable at high speed too?.

On 12ft/lbs, you get a lot more shots, you can group very very well, at the same time you are shooting at field target standards, and this will help with your field target shooting, i.e. learning your trajectory and what your pellet does (for those of us doing FT). Now if you had two guns, one high power for hunting and a standard power for FT, you would have to learn two guns, and what each guns pellet trajectory does?..

Ok but here comes the comment from the high power people, ?But the pellet has a lot more stopping power at that speed?. But it?s not like that?. If your pellet goes through a dove, it can?t do any more damage by it travelling faster? If it goes through, the rest is just excess energy?. And at 12ft/lbs, it still goes through a dove at 50 meters. So a high power is not going to do anything more, once you have penetrated through something, the energy is sufficient?. Anything more is excessive?.

So you have two choices,
    1: Have a high power, and limit your self?s to body shots. Lets think about a guinee fowl in this example. Which will probably still probably run away?.

2: Have a standard power, take head shots and knock prey down in their tracks? At the same time practicing for FT, learing the trajectory?.

On 12ft/lbs, you still have enough energy to penetrate a rabbit, dassie head?

The only time a high power would be neccesory, will be when hunting for something bigger, like a jackle?

And tell me, those of you that hunt, how many of you do this?
    Maybe 2 or 3 percent of our hunting career will we do this?
    So we have had a high power rifle for however long and only needed the true power of it 2/3 percent of our hunting?.. Think it?s a waste of air?. (Energy).
    I think it?s a good sales gimmick?. ?HIGH POWER? wow?..

Basically at the end of the day, the accuracy is very important in my eyes?. You can be shooting at 1200 fps, but hitting the vitals is the next challenge?.

Anyway thats my opinion.... :boo:

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

well... sounds like high speed and good accuracy don't like eachother

but imaging that .223 bullet weights 55gr can travel 3000fps and still carry deadly accuracy.

why?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Amen Jason, welcome to the world of 12ft/lbs !

English have been hunting 12ft for many years and none of them are complaining.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

HP airguns can be accurate, with the right pellets, in 99.9% of the cases, these are the 10.5gr+ pellets, question still remains ... why ?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

It extends your effective hunting range.
    It also allows you to take larger quarry effectively...doves are not a good example.
    It allows you to use a .20 with a larger frontal area hence less penetration and more retained and distributed energy.
    It's also cool for playing with at the range and shooting some awesome groups at ridiculous distances...it's not just about hunting....

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

boondock-thats just it. the high powers like neilg says are more accurate with the heavier pellets, in my opinion, the 55 g bullet is less effected by speed compared to the light 8.5 average pellet we shoot, take a ping pong ball compared to a tennis ball, which one would fly straighter when hit its hardest?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yeah, that's the point. why not rather just find or create a good heavy pellet to keep the power and accuracy instead of sacrifice the power for accuracy?

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

well the way i see it, as soon as u go heavy, ur ft/lbs stays the same but what im gathering here is people like long range shots, so u go heavy the pellet slows down once again and trajectory decreases again! meaning short range shots again. i dont think its that possible to create extremely heavy pellets for the .177 calibre out of the simple fact that it can only go longer, i worry that the balance of a lnger pellet wont be good at all. will become to front heavy

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The heavier the pellet the more energy it retains at greater distance (when leaving the muzzle at the same energy) Check this in chairgun. As Guido said your effective range is increased and this is what a lot of people are after. Shooting a heavy pellet you also benefit from less disturbance from wind.(when the pellet speed is the same as the lighter pellet). About wasting air at high power, air is cheap and how many shots is really needed when hunting compared to FT? thats my 2c worth.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hehe.. i agree air is cheap... power is the king!

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

I have hunted on both powers, and my bag is always bigger on 12ft/lbs....
    kla....
    I've tried most of the 10.5 grainers on hp out there and they arent nearly as consistent as 12ft/lbs....
    But my agrument is more directed to people who do FT aswell.... it helps putting 100% of your shooting into one pellets trajectory....
    i want to go with someone who shoots a high power rifle, and see them take a head shot at 40 meters....

and giudo, dont you still find that you get better groups at 70 yards on std power compared to hp?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

no ways...at 12ft\lbs the wind and air time has a considerable effect.

I have placed an order for the .177 16gr Dae Sungs , 50 tins.
    They should cost around R65\tin...at 800fps they are devastating and accurate.

Also with a 35 to 40ft\lbs air rifle body shots on close range ducks and guinea fowl start becoming a possibility...as well as large rodents, etc.
    It opens up a whole new realm of hunting possibilities...there is obviously place for both types of guns.
    I sold one of the .20 barrels to a Cape Town gunsmith and he has fitted it to a S400E...he is overwhelmed at the power and accuracy he is getting.
    He uses the rifle to cull feral cats in some warehouse...says the combo is devastating.

In the US nobody hunts with 12ft\lbs rifles.

In the UK they have no choice hence all the stories about 12ft\lbs being more accurate bla bla...

With the right pellet and rifle combo high power is just as accurate and even more so beyond 50M under most field conditions in my experience.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

let me know when they arrive (dae sungs)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Jason,
    Can you remember how we battled with Refresh? Welcome to shooting something dead. Have you ever shot something more than dead? You make all the right points FOR 12ft/lbs. Who hunts, as you say big game or at distances over 50 yards? Don't be surprised if you place a shot well and still drop most quarry at over 60 yards. Jamy told me in Brits when he took a shot at a rabbit , if I remember correctly, at over 60 meters and could see the pellet EXPLODE out on the other side. (He was shooting at 60xmag and 12 Ft/lb, which is what we were discussing at the time.) 12Ft/lb is more that enough for most of us. You can't compare centre fire boat tail bullets with a diabolo pellet. Lets compair apples with apples guys. :beer: (Scores are kept for hitting targets no matter at what velocity!!!)

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Gerrie,

The rabbit that Jamie told you about was at a distance of 83 yards. The rifle used was an AA Pro-Target Mk3 (now owned by Neilg) running at 785fps, equipped with a Tasco 12-60x56 Custom Shop scope and AA Field 4.52 pellets.

The shot produced a through and thorugh head wound that proved instantly fatal to the rabbit in question. Shots such as this are an exception, but show that if you know your outfit 12 ft.lbs is quite capable.

Now as Guido says the Americans don't use 12Ft.lbs for hunting but then again they are power crazy. Surely though one of the pleasures of hunting with an airgun is that its relatively low power makes you develop your skill as a hunter rather than just sitting on your ass at long distance and blasting things.

Also as I have said before high velocities only allow you to miss quicker if you can't guarantee the accuracy.

Dale