Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up for Field Target shooting

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Setting up for Field Target shooting

Hi all

Is is possible that anyone could give me more info regarding setting up of an air rifle for ft shooting. I read quite allot that people mention that their rifles are set up for FT but have no idea what exactly that entails. Is it just settings like fps or ft/lb or is it the whole deal like scope, stock, pellets and all the other stuff?

The reason I am asking is that I have started building a few FT tartgets for me to play with and would like to eventually when I come down to Cape Town go to a club meeting to shoot with fellow airgunners. I just don't want to show up looking like a complete idiot.

Any info is greatly appreciated. I have searched around on the forum but could not find what I was looking for.

Regards

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

First, don't stress about going to visit a club. As long as your rifle is sighted in so you can hit targets at a known distance you will be fine for a first visit.

FT can be quite technical, so until you have gotten some practical experience of what is involved it is going to be difficult to 'set up' your rifle for FT in such a way that it will suit you.

Go along, shoot, observe, ask questions and learn.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thx Dale

Will definately try and join a shoot once I am.down in CT.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi gatekeeper

Shout when you are in the Ct area, we are shooting league this Saturday, you can contact me directly or just lookout in the FT section as we post all our shoots.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Gert

I'm not quite sure when I will be in Cape town. I stay in Alexander Bay about 3km from Namibian border but my whole family stays in Cape Town so n visit there about 3 or 4 times a year.

Will shout when I am down there.

Thx

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi Willem,

I think the most NB thing is to make sure your rifle is legal, ie sub 12fpe. Its pretty disheartening to get everything else right and put in practice, practice and more practice and then get a DQ for power over limit .

At club shoots, the 12fpe rule is usually more relaxed, but at FT leagues it is enforced. As far as I'm aware there are not many FT club shoots in CPT as there are relatively few shooters.

Agree with Dale and Gert, go to the shoot and take part and take things from there. You could be doing FT for a very long time and there will still likely be things you are still fiddling with ito your setup. If you go and make a monkey of yourself you will be in EXCELLENT company, so enjoy.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Keith

I am quite thick skinned anyway ......

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thx Citizen K

That read was very helpfull

Also Roelof thx to you 2

Hopefully this thread will provide other guys searching for info as well.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ola
    So many people so many opinions.
    Later you will start wanting to customize your gun too.
    That becomes fun!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nee flip ouens!!!! Net soos ek dink ek weet iets dan kom lees ek weer n klomp ander goed....

Soos gese is... die sport is baie tegnies en as jy nie passop nie eindig jy op in n Fisika klas instede van die skietbaan....

LOL

Baie dankie elk geval. Lekker om elke dag iets nuuts te leer. Ek dink daar is baie min mense wat ooit sal besef hoe slim party van die ouens is wat met n "air rifle" skiet. Hierdie is beslis
    nie n eendimensionele sport nie...

Protea FT Team '19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    The Sultan of Spring 2017

User Info Menu

When starting FT, it does appear very technical, so break it down into the core components:

1) Make sure the gun is a) shooting below 12fpe and b) grouping well. If you're using an unregulated PCP, find your sweetspot with a chrony.

2) Zero the gun; 25m is a common distance to zero at but it doesn't actually matter what distance you choose. All "zeroing" means is shooting at a distance and adjusting clicks until the gun shoots where you aim. Most scopes will let you reset the elevation turret to zero. If you zero at the peak of your trajectory (usually around 25m) then you will always click up which makes life a little easier.

3) Range the scope - because the scope tells you the distance to the target. Put bricks out: from 9m to 30m put a brick at each meter, from 30m to 50m put one at every 2m. Going brick by brick, adjust the scope's focus (parallax) until the brick is in focus. Mark each distance on the side wheel.

4) Get clicks or holdover. If going the click route (which most do), shoot at each distance adjusting the elevation turret until the gun shoots where you aim. Record the clicks required for each distance. If going the holdover route, record the necessary holdover for each distance. I don't advise the holdover route unless you're really used to it from other shooting disciplines.

5) Go out and shoot. Positionals and wind reading and and and you'll pick up as you go. No one starts knowing everything or being able to do everything.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Thx Mark F

I am currently taking in any and all info so I can lay in bed all night thinking... LOL

Must say that I am enjoying the sport alot up to this point. I think I might have started off at a slight disatvantage as I bought a secondhand Hatsan AT44-10 with a 4x32 nikko scope. Rifle was only used for plinking so the rifle has not been tuned yet. I have detuned the rifle myself and currently shooting H&N Baracuda Match 10.65 gr @ 880 fps and @ 25m I get 25mm
    groupings. I am still working on getting the ES down a bit, currently sitting at 24.

I'm sitting at 18fpe and to get that down to under 12fpe I would need to detune it even further to around 800 fps and shoot pellets around 8 gr. Has anyone ever used one of these rifles for FT before? Are they up to the challenge?

Protea FT Team '19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    The Sultan of Spring 2017

User Info Menu

Get the speed down then see if it groups decently (say 25mm) at 50m in no wind. If it does then you're good to go.