Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Fire Practice for Field Target shooting?

REP: Atom Precision Sport

User Info Menu

Default Dry Fire Practice for Field Target shooting?

One of my resolutions for this year was to improve my shooting skills a bit. Well, it?s June already and I haven?t done anything about it until now. I can?t really shoot at home and after reading up a bit it sounded like quite a few top shooters (not FT, but other disciplines) does some sort of dry-firing routine in practice where they repetitively go through the motions of taking shots. Have any of you tried this with any sort of results? Is it worth it? Exactly how does it work? What else can one do to improve the skills a bit without actually firing loads of shots?

Thanks in advance!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you want to practice trigger control that is the way to go and to check when you do squeeze off that your aim is on target.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I do it. I think it helps.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I would say if you are going to try this, then if possible do it in the FT sitting position and aim at something out of your window. For instance, I can sit at the top of my stairs and aim at a chimney roughly 50m away through one of the rear windows of my house. There is a tv aerial on this chimney and I aim at one of the fixing bolts while dry firing to ensure I am remaining on aim.

Another good training method is to invest in a good quality spring rifle and shoot FT style with that when you are at the range. Spring guns will not tolerate poor technique in the way a pcp will and remind you to use more consistency, which when transferred over to your pcp can only be of benefit.

User Info Menu

Yep, Wally, I want to improve the trigger control a bit. I'll be doing this with an AA400. Do I actually cock the rifle to do this as there is no feel to the trigger when uncocked?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

You have to cock the rifle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

A pity the AA S400 has no training setting like the Walther has. You will lose your air but when empty you can still do your trigger control exercise.
    Good luck with your exercise but it you are going to win me, I am going to be the moer in.

Ha! Ha! said the Clown!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Another good training method is to invest in a good quality spring rifle and shoot FT style with that when you are at the range. Spring guns will not tolerate poor technique in the way a pcp will and remind you to use more consistency, which when transferred over to your pcp can only be of benefit.
    Agree Dale.
    The other big thing that dry firing can help with is practicing the standing and kneeling positions. There are lots of docs from 10m shooting that can help with this.
    Practicing mindset, breathing, and trigger control are all useful during dry firing.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    You will lose your air but when empty you can still do your trigger control exercise.
    If I were you only dry fire a pcp with air in it, unless it has a dry fire facility such as on the Walther. Without air you run a good risk of the striker slamming into the end wall of the firing valve block and damaging it. Air is cheap - repairs are not.

User Info Menu

[quote=Wally;56445]A pity the AA S400 has no training setting like the
    Good luck with your exercise but it you are going to win me, I am going to be the moer in.
    quote]

I wouldn't hold my breath for that to ever happen

User Info Menu

That dry fire setting on the Walther is what got me thinking that there must be something to the whole exercise...
    Thanks for info so far! Any links to shooting technique info would be great Doesn't it hurt a AA400 a bit to cock and fire without a pellet in? It feels a bit like revving a car in neutral....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

James, you know I am a bad shot. If you and I do practice, someday we will make the SA team.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Dale's thread, if dry fire with air no problem it could damage your valve block with a empty cylinder.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have been dry firing my old Faithfull for years and still going strong.
    Arnold does it as well and he has no problems.
    an AA S400 is a tuff rifle, ask the AA guys. The Walthers is the bad one, ask the AA guys.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just don't fire it empty like stated before.

I sit in my tv room and aim at the roof nails on the building across, it is only about 30m though. This helps a lot with getting comfortable in your position and getting to know your trigger.