Thread: New addition to my collection - Whiscombe JW50

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Default New addition to my collection - Whiscombe JW50

Two weeks ago I was lucky enough to finally acquire an example of a rifle that has intrigued me since I first had the opportunity to meet its designer and try his rifle at the SWEFTA Open shoot back in 1990 - it is a Whiscombe JW50

[IMG]

For anyone not familiar with these rifles they are a recoilless spring rifle that uses a twin opposing piston system to cancel out the recoil. To cock the rfile there is a concealed under lever in the fore-end, to bring both pistons to their full cock position requires two strokes of the lever. The cocking system uses a very clever but simple rack and pinion gear system to cock the forward piston. Cocking wight on the first stroke is quite light, the second stroke requires more effort but is not unduly heavy.

Once cocked, the pellet needs to be loaded into the barrel, as this is a Mk1 JW50, it features a tip-up barrel to load the pellet, to tip the barrel there is a latch on the left hand side of the breech block that cams it out of the twin detents.

[IMG]

Some people expressed concern that the tip barrel mechanism might wear and cause accuracy problems, however the detent and pivot are massively engineered and as the barrel is only tipped for loading with no cocking force the potential for wear is negligible - as demonstrated by this rifle it is about 19 years old and still solid as a rock.

Once the pellet is loaded, flick off the safety catch at the rear of the action and fire the shot. Given the 400 pounds of loading on the trigger mechanism you would think it would not be great - wrong John's design is superb and would not be out of place on a pcp match rifle with a minimum safe release weight of 4 ounces. The match trigger option goes to 2 ounces in total safety!

When you fire the rifle there is no recoil at all, you are aware that something is going on but you don't feel it - difficult to describe, you need to shoot it to understand. Accuracy is excellent as good as anything you can get today.

The only drawback with the Mk1 JW50 is the tip barrel as it restricts the maximum scope length you can fit, when the rifle was first designed the monster scopes we know now were not being used in FT, with the likes of the Tasco 2-7x32AG being a bread and butter scope, with the Zeiss Diavari-c 3-9x36 being the 'luxury' scope. This was cured when JW produced a fixed barrel design where pellet loading was effected by a side lever operated loading port.

The stock on this rifle is an excellent thumbhole design with adjustable cheekpiece, buttpad and deep fore-end. All in all a first class FT stock that is as good now as anytime.

Whiscombe JW50

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Awesome Dale, you lucky fella. Have read quite a bit about these and they seem to be an engineering masterpiece.
    What is the weight, and have you chonied it. Look forward to further updates.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

beautiful....

one day when I'm big I want a JW65 with a fixed barrel....

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Weight - fairly heavy, don't have exact figure to hand but a bit heavier than a TX200 Mk3.

Velocity currently running at 771fps +/- 4fps with 2mm transfer port insert, will max out at 940fps without the insert.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That's pretty! I want one too!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Great buy Dale!!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I was looking for a whiscombe for some time now.
    Do I have to travel to UK to find one?
    Enjoy

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Yannis we shall have to cross the river Styx together to find one...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Good for you Dale. Believe he has stopped making these rifles now, so unless he sells the buisness they wil be even more of a collectors item now.
    Is there a copyright on his design?

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

The host of the Worlds in America last year, Roz Sumpter shot with a Wiscombe, and Allan had the privillage to shoot with him on the first day. According to Allan, it was very accurate

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sweeeeeet dude!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Yannis, you need to keep a close eye on the likes of the sales section on the BBS and be prepared to move quickly if you find one as they don't tend to hang around long.
    I was extremely lucky with this one as a friend of mine found it by chance in an out of the way gunshop, bought it then a few weeks later sold it on to me.

Mac - John Whiscombe is currently producing the final batch of rifles which have all been pre-ordered. I would guess he would have put some form of patent in place on the design. I have no idea if he is considering selling the business and rights to the design.