Thread: JSB 8.44gr vs JSB Express 7.87gr

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default JSB 8.44gr vs JSB Express 7.87gr

Ok guys so today I experimented a little bit with the TX200. I've been reading a few threads on the European forums and it seems that there are a lot of people over there that prefer the Express's to the standard 8.44gr pellets.

I shot at least 50 shots with each today. And to be honest It was difficult to tell them apart accuracy wise! There was a strong variable breeze blowing and I was shooting from the FT seated position. Even on paper there were times when I shot tight groups with both at 25m that were around 15mm C2C.

Other than the flatter trajectory and reduced flight time that the 7.87s give, what is the general consensus regarding the two types? Who shoots what and why?

Unfortunately I didn't take some pics of the groups I shot today, but will hopefully get a chance to soon.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I also used the 7.9gr in one of my 97s. It gave me a flatter trajectory but now i just use 8.4gr. Easier to get and cheaper.

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

From what I've gathered about 80-90% of the SA FT shooters use 8.4's

Similar stats from worlds https://www.airrifle.co.za/threads/4...ionships/page5
    nearly 5 x as many using 8.4's vs express (if you include the AA's)

Strangely enough, Machiel who won the league this weekend was actually using 10.3grs and there was some tricky winds out there.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In my case the JSB 7.87's are marginally more accurate in my HW35 and HW50s, but the difference is small.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
    From what I've gathered about 80-90% of the SA FT shooters use 8.4's

Similar stats from worlds https://www.airrifle.co.za/threads/4...ionships/page5
    nearly 5 x as many using 8.4's vs express (if you include the AA's)

Strangely enough, Machiel who won the league this weekend was actually using 10.3grs and there was some tricky winds out there.
    From the replies so far it is interesting that a lot of the guys that use the lighter pellets seem to be shooting springers, notably the Weirauchs.
    Keith, was Machiel shooting the heavier pellets due to the wind, or is it his preffered choice overall? Was he shooting PCP or springer?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I know that most guys in the UK also use Falcon accuracy plus pellets, also 7.9gr

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Machiel was using the 10.3grs as they arethe most accurate in his rifle, Don't think wind had that much to do with the decision. I've heard rumours about other protea shooters (FT) that have also been doing a lot of testing with the heavy pellets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
    Machiel was using the 10.3grs as they arethe most accurate in his rifle, Don't think wind had that much to do with the decision. I've heard rumours about other protea shooters (FT) that have also been doing a lot of testing with the heavy pellets.
    I remember that the 10.3gr were the most accurate in my Evanix. But I haven't tried them in the S400 yet. Seems I have a lot of testing to do! Any idea what speed he was running them at? I assume around 720fps?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    I know that most guys in the UK also use Falcon accuracy plus pellets, also 7.9gr
    Mostly in springers or PCPs MrH?

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I believe his speed was around 710fps

Quote Originally Posted by Drewton View Post
    I remember that the 10.3gr were the most accurate in my Evanix. But I haven't tried them in the S400 yet. Seems I have a lot of testing to do! Any idea what speed he was running them at? I assume around 720fps?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I did a little testing with the different weights over the weekend.
    Here is my setup and what I found. Shooting a springer, tuned a little, and been shooting the 8.44Gr JSB's. On the good shots I am able to get 5 shot group at 20mm at 15m.
    I tested as I my 8.44 were finished and the local shop only had the Crosman Premiers 7.9 and the JSB heavy 10.34's.
    Although I found the 7.9 to be just as accurate as the 8.44 the head of the pellet went in extremely tight, so pushing the head in first and then the skirt. I didnt like this.
    Then I tried the 10.34 which obviously gave me lower velocity, could hear it so didn't chrono. The 10.34's grouped well but I had the occasional flyer, but the margin was large. These went into the barrel nicely with only the skirt "tight".

Yes I know I'm using a springer and the same consistent trigger pull is critical. Shot the 10's at 20m but the group opened to nearly double that of the 15m.
    Penetration is way less obviously because of velocity. I will test later today at the same distance and see the results but for me I found the 8.44 to be better in my springer. So once this tin is finished I will be returning to the 8.44's
    JMHO.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

what springer you using?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Bam B-19. Shoots well for a Ching something

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Assuming that both are shot at the same power level, the 10.34gr pellets have a loopier trajectory, but has less wind drift than the 8.44gr pellets.

So, depending on your skills, you may prefer one above the other. If your wind reading skills are better than ranging, go for the 8gr. If your ranging is always spot on, the 10gr pellets have the edge. The caveat being that the barrel likes both pellets.

If both are fired at the same muzzle velocity, the 10gr have the definite advantage with a flatter trajectory and a lot less wind drift.