Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut stocks here I come.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Walnut stocks here I come.

Have a look at these lovely pieces of Walnut I bought. R26500 per M3. Works out to about R400 a piece. 850 x 250 x 65. Gonna take my time with this one.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Sorry if I upset you but the grain is a bit plain on that wood for my taste.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with Allan, but a few coats of London Oil, rubbed in with lots of TLC, on top of a good coating of grain sealer, will do the trick !

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

It really is nice. Its only a cellphone pic.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

section8 , when I think of a top class stock a see twisting grain.The wood is good quality I am sure .I would just go for a more wild grain.Then again i like techno goodies and some guys like wood.Get busy on the stock and keep us informed.Good luck.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Jip I really enjoy woodworking and I like clean looks. Oil not varnish. Has anyone seen the new Daystate Huntsman. Thats what Im looking at. Ill keep you all updated. My mahogany CFX had good reviews. Remember, different strokes for different folks. Im more into hunting. Not so much FT.
    Last edited by Section8; 05-06-08 at 23:23. Reason: Add a pic

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also like the oiled finish. I'm sure it'll look nice when completed.

If you want to see a few nice walnut blanks in Pretoria, Moot Arms has some ranging from more affordable lighter american to wicked dark turkish (be sure to be seated when you ask the price for the turkish blanks...scary)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Seeign that I'm not going to make it to Pretoria anytime soon, how much for the turkish delight blanks?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I was tempted to buy something called Zebra wood. Its light like American Ash, but the is almost black. Even as a raw plank it looks awsome. Its about R35000 a cube and he's got them in 75mm thicknesses. Just a thought.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Look that about a grade 2 at best but with the right oil finish it will look very nice. Bottom line is a grade 5 walnut can look average with a bad finish and a grade 2 can look 2 grades better with a top notch finish. i would use some Arcin root oil on it first to bring out the dark parts more in the wood if youre going to use a neutral london oil on it you are going to get a very plain look. Contact Natal Gun Company- chat to Allan he imports the CCL stock finishing kits. Will make all the differnace in the world

REP: Atom Precision Sport

User Info Menu

I'm sure those pieces of wood will create lovely stocks! Really great to see a few more guys getting busy with the stock building Please keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I was tempted to buy something called Zebra wood. Its light like American Ash, but the is almost black. Even as a raw plank it looks awsome. Its about R35000 a cube and he's got them in 75mm thicknesses. Just a thought.
    I also thought that Zebra wood (Zebrano) should create a very interesting looking stock. I've tried to get some 75mm thick wood for quite a while without any success. Where did you find zebra in that thickness?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spyker View Post
    Seeign that I'm not going to make it to Pretoria anytime soon, how much for the turkish delight blanks?
    The Turkisk Delight blanks go for about R128 per kg at Sweets from Heaven I do not know the prices at Moot fire arm but the turkish walnut normally range from +- R1200 (grade2) R2200 (grade 3) - R3600 (grade4) and way more for the higher grades, if I recall correctly. Keep in mind these are air dried blanks that the suppliers have to keep in stock for many years and that obviously is reflected in the price.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

James, if you looking for Zebra wood go to a game farm and get Zebra droppings (dung).

Ha! Ha! said the Clown!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I check again next week, but the last time I was there at Moot Arms he said it was exhibition grade and going for 13-16K!!!!!!!

Makes me get sick when I remember a few years ago at Vektor/LEW they had an adhoc braai, didn't have charcoal, so ended up using wood from their huge stockpile of turkish walnut blanks.