Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As promised

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default As promised

Follow the link to the results and photos of our last FT Competition here in New Zealand. The competition was held on Saturday 31 May. Martin Owens who is currently on holiday from the UK came and shared a rifle and ran a couching day on Sunday.
    http://www.nzairgunners.com/nzairgun...ead.php?t=3721

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Nice one JavZ You guys have some beautiful countryside down there. Not to speak of the artiliry

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Some more pictures. These were taken at my club yesterday.
    http://www.nzairgunners.com/nzairgun...ead.php?t=3741

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update. Great to see how things are done 'down under". Interesting range of rifles, and also how you laid out the "gates" with rope. Also noticed not many big side wheels or turrets, and quite a few springers.
    Looking forward to meeting you guys at the Worlds next year.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Side Wheel scopes aren't very popular yet because range finding isn't that crucial at 30fpe power levels. The only side wheel scopes are on the 12fpe guns. The most popular guns at the clubs down here are the FAC sporter type .22 rifles. Makes for interesting comps with us 12fpe shooters. Luckily the 2 of us are within the top 3 so far this year with 1 competition to go.
    Most of us own springers but don't really shoot them at the club. PCP's are quite affordable so most people upgrade quite soon after joining the club.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Man now I am just plain green... wish I hadn't asked that question.
    Well done to you 12Ftlb guys. Shows brains better than power..Ha Ha

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Our airgun laws are quite relaxed down here. You can own a 9mm or .45 Career as long as you are over 18. No lincensing required. Unfortunately the 30fpe guns do a fair bit of damage to the targets so they are constantly being repaired and checked for malfunctions. The Gamo targets can really take a pounding. HAHA
    It would be good if more people joined myself and Adam at 12fpe. My shooting has really improved since I dropped this season.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

hehe JavZ. The question is... how do you keep the target standing @ 30 flbs? I am sure those gamo targets just drop and play dead by now

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Fortunately I know a few tricks to stop the false positives. I regularly test them at 5m with 30fpe and 60m with 12fpe. Just to make sure they work properly. The funny thing is how many scores dropped after I started modifying the targets to work correctly. HAHA.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JAVZ View Post
    The funny thing is how many scores dropped after I started modifying the targets to work correctly. HAHA.
    Please elaborate a bit more on this!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

5m with 30fpe
    hehe I can see bent paddles there this after I saw what my ERB @ 20 does on 5m to a 3mm mildsteel plate.. I have found a new way of punching steel!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spyker View Post
    Please elaborate a bit more on this!
    The Gamo targets gave a lot of false possitives before I started working on them. The rat would drop with shots to the ears and above the killzone. Squirrels would drop with high faceplate hits. After doing the mods the scores dropped for a few shooters that were constantly missing and hitting high.

Yes JTK. The paddles do take a hammering but come right with regular panel beating. Some have had extra steel added.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes, but what changes do you make to the targets?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I am also keen to know what you do to the targets.

Although at 12 ft/lb I think the targets are quite reliable.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default TARGET MODIFICATIONikko Stirling

Hi guys,
    Like Andre said we had quite a few issues with false positives for high power air rifles, and non-dropping for 12 ft/lbs air rifles among the various target styles we use.

We use a combination of Gamo style targets modified to suit us (reducers etc etc) and home made mechanisms which are copied off the gamo design (oops patent infringmnt?).

I did all of our club's targets using the following link info as a guide, and for Gamo targets it really works well. It removes false positives completely, and now they will fall for 12 ft/lbs at 55 yards (equates to 5 FT/LBS).

http://viriato.net/airgunning/falltests.html

My thanks to the Portugese FT Assn for doing this research and putting the Gamo target mod "out there" for us all.

I personally found that after doing the mod to remove false positives, I needed to bend the paddle so it was parrallel to the faceplate when sitting upright, that makes the balance of the paddle/mechanism reliable for 12 ft/lbs rifles. If it leans forwards it won't fall if you hit it at the bottom of the paddle as there is too much weight to push past the point of balance. Bending it parrallel to the faceplate "tunes" the target for 12 ft/lbs.

At our National Series events this year we had a few issues with tested targets still failing occasionally depending on the angle they were sitting at. It became obvious that testing a target on the flat could still result in a problem target if it was set up in a tree for example.

Andre is correct, our consistency has improved with regards to our own shooting this year once we dropped down to 12 ft/lb.

GS
    Last edited by greyskullnz; 12-06-08 at 03:11.