Thread: Weihrauch barrel choke

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Weihrauch barrel choke

Just some thoughts on weihrauch barrel chokes ,it seems they obtain a choke by swagging the front sight dovetail, thereby inducing a choke.my problem with that is surely the bore will be out of concentricity[roundness] which must have an affect on accuracy.I wonder if it is feasable to cut the barrel back and fit a silencer without suffering bad groups.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Weihrauch with bad barrels? what have I missed?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Not bad just a question on method of choking might not be the best there is, I personaly love weihrauch products.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Peter.. will be an interesting method that is sure.. But not sure that the fraction that a barrel diemeter changes when choked will make that much difference to the rifling. I am however not sure @ all. But the lack of inaccurate weihrauch barrels suggest that it seems to work fine?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

A choked barrel is a constriction in the bore size near the muzzle. Instead of a screw-in device or an add-on appliance, the rifle bore is made that way. The bore actually gets smaller. It is always a small amount - usually less than one-thousandth of an inch. Both the bore and the lands close in by an equal amount. This is done gradually to not disturb the the pellet. A choke assures the uniformity of the pellet at the most critical point in its internal travel - just before it leaves the muzzle. It actually swages (squeezes) the projectile slightly smaller, ensuring that all of them leave the bore a uniform size. This is the reason that it does little good to run pellets through a sizing die. The barrel itself IS it's own sizing die! Weihrauch do not choke their barrels, but they do swage in dovetails to hold the front sight base. The upsetting of the outside of the barrel carries through to the bore, which becomes slightly choked. Weihrauch barrels are still very accurate because no matter which way choking is achieved it doesn't have to be uniform.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks fox , I totaly agree, just wonder how HW97k is choked cause there is no dovetail to cause any bore constriction.