Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: benefits of shooting with both eyes open?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default benefits of shooting with both eyes open?

So, there must be some since it appears to be the recommended way if using a scope. What are they? The only one I've heard is that you can sight the target with the off eye. Depth perception?

The kicker for me is that I'm going blind in my left eye so about the only thing I can see with that eye open is the end of the rifle. I can't be the only person with such a handicap; so what are the reasons then?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Personally i would nt worry too much ,after all think about the Japanese Fighter Ace Saburo Sakai he got one of his eyes shot out in 1942 whilst engaging an SBD 3.Did nt stop him from becoming one of the greatest aces in the pacific.
    Last edited by Avi; 10-06-08 at 01:44.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

yeah.. do what works for you. If you can get it right to keep that eye open do so. you see better with your right eye when your left is not closed. Test this by holding your hand in front of your left eye. Look at somthing with your right. Now close your left and open it. You will see the image appears clearer with your left open even though you cant see from your left eye with your hand in front of it. and at the same time you can notice environmental changes that you may not be noticing through the scope, like wind etc. so if you can. shoot with both open. If you cant then it is not the end of the world I suppose.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

shooting with both eyes open, is a combat thing. its taught in the military and you'll see it alot at practical pistol shooting events. your able to get a bigger picture of the battle field assess,decide,act. and like you said better depth perception. i can shoot both eyes open pistol and rifle open sights, will try it next time with a scope. the beauty is once you've done it you can't go back to the old way, just does'nt feel right.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the main advantage is for balance...the left eye retains visual cues with the surroundings even though it is not really concentrating on anything in particular... a very good way would be to put a frosted white piece of plastic attached to a shooting cap allowing light to reach the left eye but not confusing it with any object to focus on.

This is used in pistol and smallbore shooting where balance is paramount.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I can echo that, feels better with both eyes open. Of course when your left eye is much weaker than your right, like mine is, it's much easier thing to do. Who would have thought the need for a coke-bottle-bottom lens can actually help with your shooting!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Some of the kids I teach can shoot with both eyes open and seem to do better on average than the guys shooting with one eye, but it is too early too tell if they are just better shots.
    I do an eye test to check which is their dominant eye. One guy is right handed and left eye dominant, so he is learning to shoot left handed. Another is left handed but right eye dominant, so he is learning to shoot right handed.

Personally I can't do it. My left eye is stronger than my right, but I was taught as a kid to close my left eye and now I am stuck with it. If I open my left eye I can't see the scope image at all as my left eye takes over completely.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Tim try the opaque filter in front of the non shooting eye...just a small piece of opaque plastic suspended from the peak of a cap.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

We were told the other day by that BR World Champ, that I'm always on about, to rather shoot with your NON dominant eye as it leaves the Dominent eye to see changing conditions better.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Gerrief that must possibly rate as the most ridiculous piece of advice I have EVER read... I think he was pulling your leg.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Gerrief that must possibly rate as the most ridiculous piece of advice I have EVER read... I think he was pulling your leg.
    He he , clearly wanted to win at all cost...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido,
    Might be so, but that is what he said, without a hint of smiling or correcting himself. Nic Schoonwinkel can attest to that, also. I shoot with my right eye and the left closed. How anybody els does it is his or her problem. All I'm doing is passing the info on, that I have.
    Last edited by gerrief; 10-06-08 at 13:19.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Tim try the opaque filter in front of the non shooting eye...just a small piece of opaque plastic suspended from the peak of a cap.
    Yeah, it's the case of the shoemaker again. Just haven't got around to trying that yet. Do it for the kids though.
    Probably because I shoot well enough as it is so I never really felt the need to try it.
    Going to shoot up a storm this long weekend, so may finally get around to trying it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gerrief View Post
    Guido,
    Might be so, but that is what he said, without a hint of smiling or correcting himself. Nic Schoonwinkel can attest to that, also. I shoot with my right eye and the left closed. How anybody els does it is his or her problem. All I'm doing is passing on the info on that I have.
    Hey Gerrie, we just stirring the pot again....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So do I !!!!