Thread: FDI

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default FDI

i knew it was gona to happen.........just glad it was during a club shoot, and not a league or nationals.

there i was, everything going well, then i missed 6 in a row ie 2 whole lanes.......... 1 or 2, i know it's me, but 6 %-6 i was convinced it was the rifle..........i was furious, i was about to throw the rig into the pond near by (did once with my golf clubs), i even work out how i was gona get cash from my portfolio first thing monday morning and get myself the steyr/ev2 (determined by stock availability).

then someone suggested "did you dial-in?"

"ofcourse i did", i replied............ then i saw, i was a whole rev out !ill %-6 ~ . obviously i forgot to "return".
    doh!!!!!

suppose, i've learnt my lesson now, no more Failed to Dial -In in the future............i hope

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Shoot with mill-dots, it is safe.hehehehoho I'm too thick to dial.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Did that at our clubs league shoot. Cost me three targets before I woke up.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Get yourself into this routine ! (learnt the hard way)

works very well for ME :

Focus yourself, forget about the previous and the next target
    Look at target with the naked eye.
    Estimate the distance
    shoulder the gun
    look over the scope at the target
    put eye to scope and rangefind
    do required scope adjustments (if not using mildots)
    look at the target again
    check settings again
    load the gun
    shoulder the gun and look over the scope at the target (finger off the trigger)
    put eye to scope and look at target
    finger on trigger
    shoot
    continue to look at the target for 5 seconds after you took the shot
    change scope back to initial zero\
    Move on to the next target.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

[blockquote] change scope back to initial zero [/blockquote]
    This part was left out of the equation &|

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yup.......

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm working very hard on perfecting this routine, I have also made the not dialed in properly mistake more than once.
    Don't wanne make it when it REALLY counts. Club and League shoots aren't the end of the world, but imagine it happening in Nationals or even Worlds, don't even want to think of it &|

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

I dont use mill dots, or dailing, just a little DOT in the middle of my scope and compensate (very unprofesianal i know)... but seems to be doing the job. Maybe i should still invest in some mill dots though...
    I havent found a scope i can trust enough to use dialing methods. I dont feel i can even trust my lynx. maybe a leupold is a different story thou...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

FDI - "Failed to Dial In".
    lol - I had other wording to go along with that acronym initially.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

F#$^ Dialing In

Jason, I agree with u on the dialing and the doubts about consistency, when I dial the turret down I first go up to relieve tube tension and then dial down again, when I dial up I turn past the required setting and then come back down again.
    This tip came from Dale.
    Leupold ... good, budget ... bad

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

More like F$(5ing Dumb Idiot, a pet name for myself when the wheels fall off the bus.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ja. I can name a few other wordings for that FDI thing that I am very good at, but this is a respectable forum and I will not repeat such words here..
    Luckily I have a training partner who has my full permission to whack me on the head(it's empty anyway) when she notices me doing that! I've been using the 'Freestate holdover' method for too long and must now get into the habit of dialing.Eish I can feel my head zinging for the next fun shoot already.