Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ME testing procedure

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default ME testing procedure

just wondering what's the ruling here.........

suppose i use H&N FTT, chronyed @ 11.6 ftlbs for FT. but with heavier pellets such as bis mags/baracudas it's chronyed @ 13.1 ftlbs. if i set my rig @ 11.6 ftlbs with those heavies.......i will probably get 10.3 ftlbs or something with the FTT's.

what do you guys do????

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

you shoot the event with the pellets you normally use and chrony wth those pellets only.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yes that makes sense..........but can anyone verify the official SAFTAA ruling.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

This is a bit of a tricky one. It will be easy to test every rifle with say AA 8.44g. Then the rifle must be under +-800fps. The Problem- Owner only shoots with lubed pellets, we have unlubed, our test pellets are 4.52 and he only uses 4.51...........
    Think it will be best if we can get an electronic scale for the day and weigh your pellet. Neilg will have to sort this one out.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yes, that's a good idea when i weighed FTT (advertised as 8.6g) the other day.........most were 8.5g with a few 8.4, 8.6 & 8.7g.

also, chronys and combros are claimed to be 99.5% and 99% accurate. shouldn't there be the same allowance for the readings??? ie +/- 1 or 0.5 %.

i suppose all i need to do is to set my pellet of choice @ around 11.0 ftlbs, then all the above shouldn't be an issue.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Chrony - 99 - 99.5% accurate - ja maybe in their world, mine is more like 85-95% accurate.
    I chronied by Pro-T and it gave me from 750 up to about 820 fps over 5 shots, went to AA and also to Wolwehoek - 5 shots - 3fps es.
    Still under warranty wanne take it back !

Wolwehoek has a Ohler that will be put to good use during the "Nationals". Will try to organise a scale to work it out. Anyway, there's no way to control it, the pellet that u test with is not necessarily the pellet u will be shooting with.
    HP are out at this 1, there will be margin for error (+-1%) but that's it.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have the same problem with my chrony. Don't trust it anymore.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

On their website they say 99-99.5 % accurate ! I will print it all and then take it back 2 da dealer ...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yo Neilg
    How about allowing a 20ft/s deviation on 800ft/s with 7.9gr accupel & 15ft/s deviation on 10.5 accupel heavy @720ft/s. Is there a formula to calculate the energy in the field?
    Can this formula be included in the rools? Just asking

ice's Avatar ice

Yep, also have a sh**ty chrony. Compared with 2 other and they all give different readings. (25-30fps)

The box states " Now everyone can afford a chrony"
    Very misleading! i wanted an accurate one!

I think most of the entry level ones are very sensitive to light intensity. Diffusers must be used at all times.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

they've come out with this infra-red light attachment......apparently one can even use the chrony in a dark room...........

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I reckon Stoffeltoo's onto a good idea here. Seeing as it's not criminal to have an airrifle over 12ft/lbs in this country perhaps some form of error should be allowed. Who's to say who's chrony is the accurate one. Either that or it's constant trips to the CSIR to get it checked and a certificate issued. :<

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

don't think they're made for .177

let's start a ANTI CHRONY post that always stays on top, it's very clear that I'm not the only unhappy owner !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

http://www.shootingchrony.com

Every SHOOTING CHRONY? measures the speed of bullets, arrows, shotgun & airgun pellets, paintballs, et cetera, from 30/fps. to 7000/fps. and with better than 99.5% accuracy.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

can't say i'm 100% happy with my chrony........but i do get cosistent readings.....ie the "same" as my mate's combro, and another chrony.

unless, all 3 are off...........i guess it's good enough for my use.