Thread: Scopes

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Scopes

I was wondering what scopes compare to the Leupold brand in quality and price. I am just eyeballing the various scopes. I have heard that mixed stories about Lynx scopes used on centre fire rifles.

So what are the center fire rifle shooters opinions?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Try a brand called Vortex

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Arnold, I had Leupold's on all my hunting, and competition rifles, and now only have the one on my Walther left. I happened to shoot with a friends Burris scope, and was so impressed with the clarity, that I subsequintley replaced all my Leupolds with them. The oldest one, is now 5 years on my rifle, and I would never look back.

They cost about 2/3 of the price of a Leupold, has a liftime warranty, and is available from VLT Arms in PTA. Tel no: 012 3330170.

They manufacture a whole range of them, but I found the entry level Fullfield 2 range the best value for money.

I imported the last 3 myself, from the states, through www.Wholesalehunter.com, at less than half the price I pay here, and at a 1/4 of the price of a Leupold locally.

I have been shooting comps with mine, since I bought the first one 5 years ago, and it never let me down.

I have compared the clarity of the same mag Leupold's on a number of occasions, and the Burris came out on tops. Ask Sniper for a reference, and he will confirm it. Esspecially when the light conditions start to deteriorate, like late afternoon, ans=d at night.

I have hunted bush pig in the full moon, and then it comes to it's own.

It has not bot the brand name of Leupold, but I was convinced. Price wise, and vallue for money, No comparason.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I would partly agree with Piet, I have a Burris 8-32x44RA at home with stunningly good optics - however overall build quality IMO is not as good as the Leupold, one notable thing is the target turret on the RA's the clicks gave up the ghost within a short time. The turret still dials OK, but I have a Leupold 6.5-20 that I bought s/h in 1990 and the clicks are still as new on it - a small detail but important to me. The tubes on the older Burris's also seem very prone to marking quite badly as well.

I also had a very recent Burris 4-12x32RA compact and the optics on that were not brilliant at all - might just have been a poor example but given it was quite expensive I would be very cautious about buying one unseen. It is a pity as it was a very nice specification and size scope otherwise.

Other scopes that I have been impressed by are the Weaver T series scopes - the T36 is very nice and the Weaver Tacticals. Bushnell 3200 and 4200 are really nice, haven't seen one of the new 6500(?) series yet though.

Another older range that is really nice is the Bausch & Lomb Target scopes (predecessor to Bushnell - but optics seem better), particularly the 6-24x40 and the 36x40.

The old Tasco TS series scopes are also very nice too.
    Last edited by Dale; 13-06-08 at 14:47.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ek jag in Namibi?. Die ouens daar raak nie aan 'n Lynx nie. Dit hou net nie. Paralaksfoute, ens. Vir die FT ouens is die GROOT LYNX weer die ultimate.

Centre fire = Bushnell 3-9 x 40 Sportsman = R1800 = Value for money = durability.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

ps: - Stay as far away from Weaver scopes and Redfield scopes. Biggest rubbish ever made!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i kinda like the Nikko stirling scopes

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SHAMEN View Post
    ps: - Stay as far away from Weaver scopes and Redfield scopes. Biggest rubbish ever made!
    Well I currently have 3 Weavers - 2 x T36's and a little 6x38 and they are very nicely made scopes, excellent optics and reliable adjustments. I also had a 3-9x40 tactical and that was an excellent scope as well. It may be that Weaver are now sourcing product from another manufacturer and quality has changed, but I can't fault the ones I've got.

As to Redfield, I have an old US made Redfield 6x40 on my .44 Mag rifle and that is a cracking little scope. The current Redfields aren't brilliant though.
    Last edited by Dale; 13-06-08 at 14:43.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Nikko Stirling's are notoriously bad on bigger rifles.

Dale, do yourself a vavour, and look at the Burris Fullfield 2 series. You might be as pleasantly surprised as I were. I have 1 x 4.5 - 14 x 42mm Illuminated retical, 2 x Normal 4.5 - 14 x 42mm, and 2 x 3 - 9 x 40mm Burris scopes, and they have served me exceptionally well.

Ask Hennie. It took me exactly 2 min to convince a dy hard Leupold fan, that the Burris outperforms his Leupold by far, on a day at the range. He was so impressed with it, that he bought an spare Burris spoting scope from me, without even asking the price.

There is a special on at the moment at Wholesale hunter, that if you buy the 4.5 - 14 x 42 scope, they throw in a 6 - 24 x 56 spotting scope for free. It was one of them, that he bought from me. I had 3.

They all have the ballistic plex retical, that have subsequintly been copied by Leupold, Swarovski, and others. In my oppinion, the best retical for general hunting, and competition shooting in our local conditions, where you can expect short distance bushveld shots, or open plains with long distances.

The clarity on all my scopes, and spotting scopes, is phenominal.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Piet Skiet View Post
    Nikko Stirling's are notoriously bad on bigger rifles.
    that is also true

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I guess it comes down to what works for you, as always.
    I am a biltong hunter and I mostly use these calibres and scope combos for different situations:
    6.5x55 Swedish Mauser topped with Nikko Stirling Platinum 4-12 x 50
    7x57 Mauser topped with 6.5-20 Leupold then 4-14 Ultra Optic then the Leupold again.
    30-30Win topped with Lynx red dot.

None of the above has dissapointed me in their purpose and I cannot complain about any one of them, even though the price range varies from cheap to really expensive.
    Friend of mine has one of the older Bausch & Lomb target scopes on his .308 Steyr Scout, I do not recall the configuration, but it has really brilliant optics.

Does anybody have any experience with Night Force rifle optics ?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Arnold that Leapers 3-12X44 of your will work well...give it a try!