Thread: Barrel / Pellet Preference

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Barrel / Pellet Preference

I know this has been discussed a lot before, but I have a few specific questions for you...

So, finding out what pellet your specific rifle or barrel prefers, basically means, taking enough pellets of each type you'd want to consider, shooting several groups with each, with the rifle held as steady as possible, to minimise other errors that can affect accuracy... right??

But, more specifically, how big should the groups be? 5 Shots, 10shots?
    How good do I clean my barrel between groups? How many fouling/leading shots before checking accuracy?

So, how do you guys do it, and perhaps, how do you clean your barrels as well...?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Every time I get a new rifle I go through the pellet testing and every time I end up with one of the different weight JSB's.
    I clean my barrels when I think I am not getting the usual accuracy using strong fish line and patches sprayed with Ballistol.
    Works for me. That's how I keep my groups as tight as I can manage to shoot them.
    Last edited by McJack; 24-05-17 at 15:57.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by McJack View Post
    Every time I get a new rifle I go through the pellet testing and every time I end up with one of the different weight JSB's.
    I clean my barrels when I think I am not getting the usual accuracy using strong fish line and patches sprayed with Ballistol.
    Works for me. That's how I keep my groups as tight as I can manage to shoot them.

I've shot thousands of pellets at one time ..... and would agree with this statement. Only, I would add the 4.5mm CP's, BUT only if you can find the ones in the box.

Back to your topic ....... as you explained and that is the main reason I only used JSB's also. Otherwise there just are to many variables and not enough time in a day to do the test representative enough..

Rather than changing pellets, I would however change the velocity. I'm still to find a barrel that cannot shoot a JSB pellet accurately (if a good barrel)..... but maybe that accuracy would be at a speed different to what I intended / hoped for .........

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My scenario...for a 10m competition rifle, and need to use a wadcutter.
    Pellets available to me at the moment...H&N Finale Match; RWS- R10 and JSB Diabolo Match. So, I need to make the right choice between these!
    In all the rest of my airguns, I use some form of JSB's and I'm very happy with them, like you guys have rightly said...

Perhaps someone else has been here before...?

I would like to give all of these pellet choices the best chance before settling on a specific one! And, of course, in a very competitive discipline, like that, every little bit helps...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Statisticly speaking, 5 shots can only give you an indication at best. Bigger the sample size, the more accurate the results would be. So, 10 at least. I find it difficult to keep concentration for 10 shots in a row. On the other hand, if your rifle sprays the first few shots like a shotgun, why continue?

Cleaning the barrel between batches is up to you. With my FWB it takes about 15 shots before the velocity settles down again after cleaning. I have heard some guys saying they need half a tin of pellets through their's.

That said, I will be surprised if your 10m rifle does not like the H&N Finale Match Rifle pellets.

Here is a grouping of 10 shots in a piece of soft pine with my FWB 300s using H&N.

Why use anything else?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Frederick View Post
    Statisticly speaking, 5 shots can only give you an indication at best. Bigger the sample size, the more accurate the results would be. So, 10 at least. I find it difficult to keep concentration for 10 shots in a row. On the other hand, if your rifle sprays the first few shots like a shotgun, why continue?

Cleaning the barrel between batches is up to you. With my FWB it takes about 15 shots before the velocity settles down again after cleaning. I have heard some guys saying they need half a tin of pellets through their's.

That said, I will be surprised if your 10m rifle does not like the H&N Finale Match Rifle pellets.

Here is a grouping of 10 shots in a piece of soft pine with my FWB 300s using H&N.

Why use anything else?

That is good advice, indeed. I feel the same about group sizes as well.

Something interesting that I have noted, myself. Did quite a bit of testing with an SPA Predator, as well as a CP1 recently. The CP1 is much less pellet picky, and requires almost no need for shooting in between brands or between cleaning.

What I found difficult to believe, though, was that I cannot beat the accuracy I get with, straight out of the tin, Gamo Pro Match pellets. Neither the H&N, or RWS R10 pellets can better it...and these results were the same with two other shooters...
    These results can be exactly reproduced, using my other CP1.

The Predator could not be more different...and, yet their barrels should have sort of the same origins...??
    Between brands, and after cleaning, its barrel needs almost 50 shots to properly settle down, before a proper group is possible.

It will NOT group with the Gamo's at all, much better with the H&N's, and the best groups, seem to be from the R10's, by the smallest of margins, though!

This, just again, serves to prove how different two seemingly similar barrells can be!!