Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGT Vulcan owners?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default AGT Vulcan owners?

Hi gents,

So I want to find out the "good the bad & the ugly" from the Vulcan owners.

Overall the information available on the net is limited to Turkish videos and foreign forums praising the Vulcan for its accuracy and some extend to its build quality.
    But little is said wrt owner general satisfaction of its reliability, barrel cleaning requirements, pellet preference, tinkering, silencing, true shot count etc.
    I would like to hear as much as possible about the rifle from a "local" point of view about the pro's & cons, likes & dislikes...Everything!

I settled for the Tactic (for weekend potato sniping at longer ranges), simply due to the ergonomics being slightly more representative of a "rifle" with a bit of preferred weight opposed to the BP, not that it makes my heart skip a beat really. But the maths in my head compute that it is a laser with proof & back-up from the agent, so I'm already committed.

Bottom line: would you rate it the best in its class with all things considered?

Thanks!

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have the bullpup in 5.5mm with a huggett belita on it.
    Shooting 860fps with JSB 18's with an ES of 8. Gets 9 11 shot mags between 230 and 120bar. Very very quiet with the shroud and silencer.

The metal work is up with anything else out there, including my previous airwolf. Very nicely designed side plates that allow access to the majority of the important bits. The indicator that tells you the gun is cocked is great too. The mags are made of plastic but are very well made, never deform a pellet and function incredibly smoothly. The way they insert is really solid.

The thing is utterly laser accurate and I haven't had to clean the barrel since I got it. Firing cycle is very gentle even for a pcp with minimal vibration.

The ergonomics of the stock are excellent, but I have no idea about the tactic version or how it compares.
    Scope rail is very well machined and aligned - with sportsmatch mounts it took 2 clicks on windage and 4 clicks on elevation to zero at 20m.

Trigger is excellent - quite different in feel to my current s400, and previous air arms, hw100, daystate triggers but breaks at about 1 pound and very crisp. Significantly better than my previous (heavily tuned) JKHan and the other bullpup triggers I've tried. Bottom line is the trigger is an aid to accuracy rather than a detriment.

Only real issue I had with it was that it shipped with a slightly deformed breech o-ring that cocked up accuracy pretty badly at first. Eugene provided great service and once that had been switched out, it settled into its current, one holer pattern and hasn't left it since. Best thing is I virtually never get flyers either, noticeably dud pellets excepted.

Initially the bolt was a little sticky on occasion but that has smoothed out completely, to the point where I can't see myself bothering with the sidelever 'sidegrade'.

Is it top of pile? No idea - tons of guns out there that are amazing. Can't imagine a daystate pulsar is a 'worse' bullpup. Just as different as the people that buy these guns. Probably just as accurate too.

Will you be happy? I certainly think so.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thank you Macros

That is exactly what I wanted to hear!
    The Vulcan will also be fitted with a standard Hugget moderator. I hope it will be mouse fart quiet.

I'm glad you mentioned the trigger, I understand it is plastic / polymer does it have any flex?

Marksman

User Info Menu

I find myself reading up more and more on the Edgun R3. Anyone know the clear benefits of the Vulcan above the Edgun? (For the price difference which isn't much in that price range I guess)

I get the sense the Edgun is a solid, reliable rifle. Haven't shot either of these.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

It's is polymer, much the same in feel to the hw100 trigger. No flex at all when using it normally. Although it can be flexed a tiny bit if pulled hard when the gun isn't loaded. Not something you'd ever do unless testing it for a forum question such as this though :P

- - - Updated - - -

Having never shot an edgun I can't help with JamesCr's question...

Marksman

User Info Menu

So a eventual upgrade to a steel trigger for me then.

Thanks Macros, appreciate the feedback & testing!

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Pleasure
    Looks to me like such an upgrade should be very easily accomplished.
    Enjoy the gun! Let me know how you find it

P.S. JamesCr- maybe ask Mark (Air Wolf) how he found his edgun. He sold it due to not liking how the stock fit his hand, but may be able to answer other questions.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Incredible rifle..

When you buy it clean the barrel of all machine residues and you may never need to clean it again, or if it starts shooting clovers instead of stacking pellets, a few dry patches and you are done. I polished my barrel until it was squeaky clean and I am glad that I did, your mileage may vary as this process is not for everyone.

18 grain jsb at 860 to 870 fps is good for shooting out to 130 meters with confidence, do a pellet drop BC calc at 91 meters for a nice surprise, I would tell you my BC but you won't believe me so do it yourself and PM me!

The side lever isn't required but it is what makes this gun amazing, for someone that shoots a full cylinder everyday having the side lever is a godsend, as a hunter you can live without it but you shouldn't do yourself the dis services...

The rifle needs a silencer, the standard Hugget is exceptionally good the Belita is almost as good.

Get extra mags, you will be shooting like crazy so it helps to have 4 or 5 ready to go, especially with the side lever.

AGT Vulcan

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Nice rig you got there Sir!!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gfighter View Post
    Nice rig you got there Sir!!
    Many thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Anybody know where I can sell my kidney and get one of those ?[emoji16]

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Interesting stock work - looks pretty futuristic/star trek now. Did you have that done to the walnut one or buy and mod the synthetic stock?

How're you enjoying the Sidewinder ED? Much of an upgrade over a standard Hawke sidewinder? How about the Frontier? Admittedly I don't like the usual Hawke optics.
    I'm running a 2.5-15 Series VIII Vixen scope on mine, which is awesome. Very nice mag range for any airgun. Clarity, contrast and mechanics easily on par with the Sightron SIII on my AA S400.

Did you import the eagle vision mounts by the way? Or is Eugene selling them now?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Anybody know where I can sell my kidney and get one of those ?[emoji16]
    Eugene from AirgunNut. Doesn't take kidneys but will recommend a qualified surgeon to assist with removal!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Nothing in life is perfect out of the box...

Hi Macros, loaded question so sorry for the long post.

The stock was the walnut version, it wasn't grained and was very light in colour so off to the hydrodip gentleman. Also I don't like wood that much.

The pattern selected is a series of shaded and interlocking polygons, inspired by WW1 German airplane cammo called lozenge. It was prohibitively expensive to get a stencil made up so I selected the closest standard pattern and requested the base coat be sniper grey.

The ED is very good. In a different class to all the other Hawke scopes. The glass is not comparable to anything in this price class except maybe the cheap Vortex that can't parallax to 10 ft.

I have the mil turrets, it tracks better than any sidewinder or MTC. The elevation range is a little narrow about 120 clicks and at the extremes some image clipping is apparent so effectively you have 100 clicks to dial.

I like high mag for target shooting and 10-20 times for PC, the Sightron was on the radar but the reticle on the ED is amazing!

50 x is very clear! If you have had other variable mag scopes you know how hit and miss max mag can be...

I have completely removed the turrets and replaced them again with zero reticle movement! The scope is built like a tank and All moving parts are stiff with no creep. This is not a normal Hawke at all, I have owned three other models in the range. Side by side the Frontier pales.

I imported the rings myself, they are almost mandatory with this scope. Due to the narrow elevation range, one has to cant the scope to get your min and max range close to the optical centre. I have about 20 moa giving me an effective range from 16 to 200 meters at 10x and 16 to 85 at 50x.

Eugene has the rings in stock, at a very competitive price, when I bought mine he didn't have these but I must say that he recognises a good thing and has made arrangements to distribute eaglevision since then.

Everything in the picture is available via AirgunNut, while I assembled this gun from components, Eugene has tried to make himself a one stop shop so if you want something similar you can just ask him and have it all done at once.

I have had the pleasure of building three of these customish rifles, what isn't seen is the extensive cleaning, tuning, polishing, truing, stock bedding and chrono work to achieve crazy accuracy and bananas BC! All that is missing is a regulator tune as there isn't a reg tester to properly tune it available in SA... yet!

Talk to Eugene, he knows some people that can make this gun exactly the way you want it, as the title reads, nothing is perfect out of the box, sometimes a little TLC before hand pays dividends over the life of the gun...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, Riaz!

That is one thing with the vulcan - you generally don't get magnificently grained walnut stocks. I've actually been planning on making a copy/ semi modified stock on my brother in law's cnc machine out of a big chunk of African Rosewood soon. That ought to be amazing. The stuff is virtually indestructible and looks gorgeous. Will post it up when I eventually do it.

I've heard the ED is great, but it was on airgun nation and those guys are like Stepford Wives when it comes to praising what they're told/expected to. Call BS or recommend something else and you either get banned or lambasted So it's great to hear someone here with first hand experience that really likes it.

For the time being my gun can't really get any more accurate, but I'll certainly keep those tuners in mind when I get the itch to possibly push it further!

Cheers man
    Happy shooting!
    Last edited by Macros; 10-06-17 at 08:50. Reason: Typo