Thread: Relum Telly / Jelly

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Default Relum Telly / Jelly

Yes folks Jelly. A teenager living in our complex with his mom(Broken home, physical and psycological abuse from dad) produced an airrifle he found in one of his uncles cupboards. The uncle has given it to him and has asked me for help to get it working again. Jelly and the calibre is on a plastic button on the stock.
    There is no spring guide. Uses a double spring, one inside the other. The sear is a shaped lump of metal attached to the piston. The trigger housing is welded to the compression cylinder. The piston washer is leather held in place by one of those rivet arrangments.

I need to make a new washer and rear sight for the thing. Any photos would help.

The discipline of the range is helping to keep the youngster on the straight and narrow. He would like to plink with his own rifle. Feels a little guilty about always using one of mine.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The rifle is actually a Telly. Go here for the drawings http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...&cat=Telly+200

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

first time ive ever seen one

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

I've actually fixed a few of them. Have one here at the moment that still need to be fixed.
    Don't bother with changing the inside spring. If you replace both springs, the rifle is almost impossible to shoot as the spring tension is so high that it pinches the trigger.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have fixed some in my time. Replaced seal with Gecado seal and used a single spring of a Gecado 35.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

OK now's the time to sort this out for me. I've also got the Super Jelly. Unfortunately the name plate on the stock got lost over the years. Now somebody also told me it's a Telly and I totally disagree. I'm not really that stupid and I can read well. I remember well because me and my brother used to have one each. Now the proof got lost in the form of the nameplate. Come on all the guru's and solve this for me please.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

It is a Relum rifle, that seems to be known either by the name Telly or Jelly - I just wonder if the name was in an odd font on the badge where a 'T' can look more like a 'J' owing to an exagerrated swirl at the bottom.

Anyway, name inconsistencies aside, it is actually a pretty decent little rifle, especially when compared to some of the budget chinky crap you will find.

Farmer is dead right - lose the double springs and fit a single spring, and while you are at it make a close fitting spring guide - the rifle will be much nicer to shoot.

Just found this on the collectors section of the UK AirgunBBS:

"Although marketed and sold via the umbrella company of Relum in the U.K. (who at that time had their headquarters in London iirc), this medallion had the original Eastern European manufactures name on it of either Artex or Telly. the vast majority of these said Telly however, and as font used for the letter "T" had a flick to the left at its base, if read quickly the word Telly seemed to read Jelly thus a nick-name for all break-barrel Relums was born."
    Last edited by Dale; 19-06-08 at 14:06.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes the name tag was witten as Jelly. As I can recall this air rifle was a Russia make. Maybe the T is a J in Russian. I knew it as a JELLY.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I had one, an under lever and it was know to me as a "Telly"

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I believe Hungarian rather than Russian.

Just out of curiosity I had a look through the various fonts on microsoft windows to look for any where a T could appear as a J and found twelve different fonts where capital T's show an extension to lower left giving a 'J' like appearance. The majority of these were 'script' type fonts.

I would say it gives fair credence to the idea of the name being misread.
    Last edited by Dale; 19-06-08 at 16:40.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Many thanks guys. The printable cut away drawing is most useful. Making a new trigger adjusting screw is going to be an interesting exercise. The original is no longer around. The works is held in place by a large bolt with a flanged head. One of the front stock mounting screws has also sheared off in the bracket. At present the front attachment is a copper band screwed to the stock. Should not be too difficult to sort out.

This rifle is definitely not top of the pops in terms of springer engineering. The springs look as if they were just cut from a continous coil. I don't see how they are going to remain straight when compressed. The built in twang should be interesting.

Thanks for the tip about fitting a Gecado spring and making a spring guide Farmer. This will have to wait until I have a lathe again.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Dale for sorting out the riddle for me. From now on I will slowly start to adapt the new name. Say 35 odd years of habit to erase.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I had a Relum under lever as a kid. I think it was called a Tornado. My Dad bought it at wholesalers in Booysens JHB called Sweiden & King. My friend had a Telly. The T did look a bit like a J. I remember the leather piston seal well. My Dad used to make his own when the old one perished. I have lately found some pictures of one on the web and it sure is an ugly gun. The stock seems way too short for the metal.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

I had one in the 60's my dad paid R7.50 out of the box for it. It is Telly or Jelly.