Thread: Walther LGV 5.5mm or .177

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Walther LGV 5.5mm or .177

Hi all.

After a long (too long) break from airrifle.co.za and air rifles, I decided I need to come back.

I had a Walther LGU .177 and a SPA M11 5.5mm before I sold them both. I am looking at a second hand Walther LGV (just like a springer more) since the LGU's are a bit on the expensive side!

I just do a bit of plinking and a lot of PC. So I cannot decide on a 5.5mm or a .177. I would love to hear your opinions and thoughts regarding the 5.5mm and .177 LGV's.

Thanks in advance!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The LGV's are nice rifles , I have one in 4.5mm.

There are some shortcomings however.

These rifles are HEAVY and have a sub-standard trigger for the amount of money that they sell for.

Normal wearing spare parts like springs and seals are unobtainable.

You may , or may not , be able to live with this.

For your primary purpose I would advise getting a 5.5mm rifle.

Good 5.5mm springers are hard to find in South Africa.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Juniper! I can live with the heaviness of the rifle. My LGU was quite heavy and I actually liked it. With regards to the trigger, I know there are upgrades you can do, but I'm possibly going to get one out of the UK if I can't get a nice deal here.

Do you maybe know what the range are of a 5.5mm? I like to shoot up to 80 to 90 meters, but don't know if the 5.5mm will reach that far with a springer.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Theo, one would need to know what pc you're specifically going for. But 80/90m for a springer is maybe not such a good idea...
    But before we discuss pc here which is not the thing to do, maybe start a thread in the dedicated pc section and rephrase your question to perhaps something like "What springer for pc?"

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Heya

In the LGV I would go for the .177 it just does not have the port configuration to setup a 5.5mm properly

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fucius View Post
    Theo, one would need to know what pc you're specifically going for. But 80/90m for a springer is maybe not such a good idea...
    But before we discuss pc here which is not the thing to do, maybe start a thread in the dedicated pc section and rephrase your question to perhaps something like "What springer for pc?"
    Go look on Pellet-Gun.com they have a lot of 5.5mm springers at good prices there, my pick would be the Diana 350 magnum or the HW80.
    I own a 350 magnum and I think an HW80 wil soon find a new home here
    Both a rough outa the box with excellent triggers so I would advise fitting a Vortek kit a.s.a.p.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fucius View Post

Thanks Fucius, will do, but the 80/90m is merely plinking

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Kuber, I will go have a look. How good is the HW80?

Marksman

User Info Menu

That's pellet-guns.com - with an 's'.