Hello Fine Folk,
Just rebuilt my AA S400 - it having been transported from the UK, laid up for the last four years - and she shoots sweeter than a fudge and chocolate pudding with a syrup coating.... only she shoots single holers 30cm low at 25m and the ancient Deben-branded Hawke scope will not adjust for elevation. I've removed the turrets as far as I can to check they are 'biting' and have come to the sorry conclusion that the condition in which I find the optic comes under the general description of 'buggered'.
So, time for a new scope my lead-flinging brethren. What I would like is 30mm tube, side parallax, illuminated reticulated python and glass so clear, crisp and light conducive that it makes an eagles eye look like a shoddy instrument. Half mil-dots (if not quarters) is also on the wish-list. Max required magnification is 16x; min 10x. Objective lens (kind of depends on other quality features that aid light transmission) is likely to be in the 44-50mm range. I like Hawke, I like MTC and I like - as a more budget option UTG. However, I also like inexpensive. My wife says I'm cheap. I have told her I can put my prices up – it's lucky we're both right-handed because I can still open my shooting eye.
- Buy a scope I want - a Hawke SF 30-series (bit heavy/large for the field).
- Buy a scope I want - MTC of similar ilk.
- Buy a scope I want - MTC Viper Connect and fit it to my Daystate and put the Huntsman-mounted MTC Mamba Light 4-16 by 44 on the S400
- Buy a scope I want - a Hawke or MTC with a fixed 10x magnification.
- Get a new wife
- Just get a cheapo-ish scope with a 25mm tube to fit the rings already on the rifle so I can take it shooting this weekend.
If anyone has any advice, scopes for sale (or spare, tolerant and wealthy wives) then please advise on price, place, shoe-size and specifications. Your views will be welcome.