Thread: It's that what scope question

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default It's that what scope question

Hello Fine Folk,

Just rebuilt my AA S400 - it having been transported from the UK, laid up for the last four years - and she shoots sweeter than a fudge and chocolate pudding with a syrup coating.... only she shoots single holers 30cm low at 25m and the ancient Deben-branded Hawke scope will not adjust for elevation. I've removed the turrets as far as I can to check they are 'biting' and have come to the sorry conclusion that the condition in which I find the optic comes under the general description of 'buggered'.

So, time for a new scope my lead-flinging brethren. What I would like is 30mm tube, side parallax, illuminated reticulated python and glass so clear, crisp and light conducive that it makes an eagles eye look like a shoddy instrument. Half mil-dots (if not quarters) is also on the wish-list. Max required magnification is 16x; min 10x. Objective lens (kind of depends on other quality features that aid light transmission) is likely to be in the 44-50mm range. I like Hawke, I like MTC and I like - as a more budget option UTG. However, I also like inexpensive. My wife says I'm cheap. I have told her I can put my prices up it's lucky we're both right-handed because I can still open my shooting eye.

Choices:
    1. Buy a scope I want - a Hawke SF 30-series (bit heavy/large for the field).
    2. Buy a scope I want - MTC of similar ilk.
    3. Buy a scope I want - MTC Viper Connect and fit it to my Daystate and put the Huntsman-mounted MTC Mamba Light 4-16 by 44 on the S400
    4. Buy a scope I want - a Hawke or MTC with a fixed 10x magnification.
    5. Get a new wife
    6. Just get a cheapo-ish scope with a 25mm tube to fit the rings already on the rifle so I can take it shooting this weekend.

If anyone has any advice, scopes for sale (or spare, tolerant and wealthy wives) then please advise on price, place, shoe-size and specifications. Your views will be welcome.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

New wife best option

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for helping me put my life in order, mate.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Don't laugh now, but I have a cheap R1200.00 BSA essential 3-12x44 AO mildot scope on my hw50s. I hit a pot +-200mm in diameter at 110m. The glass is really not bad for the money and it holds zero very well. I have also out dialed both windage and elevation, brought them back to zero mark and was dead on the bull again. OR another option is a Tac Vector capricorn 4.5-1450 ffp, better glass than the BSA, workable turrets, but mushy though for around R3200 (last I checked) im happy with mine, holds zero well. OR, as mentioned above, divorce the wife and get a Hawke airmax 30sf 6-24x50 ir/ 4-16x50, I got one aswell and am very happy with it.

Just my 2c......

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Most probably there is nothing wrong with your scope. You need to shim it at the back. Use a beer can cut in strips or a used credit card at the back mount under the scope. Google shimming a scope, lots of info on the net and on this forum.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Does not adjust up or down - so even if I shim the rear, it will still not adjust up or down.
    Last edited by Damoni; 19-06-17 at 21:38.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

+1 for Optisan EVX series. Recently acquired a 5-20x50. Brilliant scope, IMHO the best to be had currently in it's price range. On par or better than Hawke's Sidewinder series, for less. More compact. Turrets and reticle both MilRad.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

It depends what you going to shoot at, bench, spend a lot of money, plinking....I use a Hawke 3-9x40 and at R1425 the clarity is great, it has a few mildots, saw them cheaper at futurama.co.za

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, all, and good to hear from you Ayoba. Decisions, decisions.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

A 10 x 44 Viper or a 4-16 Targetmaster would be my ideal field scopes.

Caveat emptor on the MTC brand of Viper. Also on any Nikko products unfortunately.

Rather go for the Optisan, where the LOCAL guarantees and support are historically a lot stronger.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Funny enough, I have the Hawke, Nikko and the BSA as well, 7 months ago I bought 2 Chinese made scopes, one 8 x 24 X 50AOEG and the other 32 X 50AOEG IR, I must say they're not bad, good glass, very clear in any magnification and any light condition and holds the zero well, I use one on one of my Kral BP and the other on my Jkhan, some of you might laugh but I get a 1/2"group at 50m with the kral at easy, and I drop the poor thing a few times and still as good as new and only cost me R950each and they are clearer than the Hawke.
    (...and your wife called cheap, how's that for cheap?)