Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Springer?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default New Springer?

Good evening all.

I'm looking to get another Springer. Im leaning toward the BSA lightning SE. Specifically the GRT version. Not the XL or XL tactical versions either. Looking for someyhing light weight and dont want to bother about a scratch or two from the weekends bush trip. Ive heard good things about them so I'm willing to give one a bash. They going at a good price now and I feel it will be a better choice to take a "cheaper" rifle into the Bush than my other more expensive rifles. They seem very manageable and workable. What has everyone else to say?? Should I or shouldn't I? And why do you say So??

P.S. I have way more expensive rifles, so please don't tell me to save and buy this or that, I've probably already got it or already had it Lol, I just want something for fun in the Bush and backyard.

Thanks guys.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The downside of having top-end springers is that one struggles to appreciate anything else.
    I suggest to look for a lower priced high-end branded piece, maybe needing a bit of TLC, but with sound basics. E.g. a HW30, Gecado 35.
    HW30 is not easily beaten for backyard open sight plinking.
    My 2c

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I picked up two mint condition LGV Challengers for R3500 and R3600 a while ago, also a HW30S for R2000.

I have a PS and Gamo CFX Royal available.
    If you are into vintage there is a Diana 22 and a Gecado 50 available

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hello,

I have a BSA Supersport Carbine , that is fitted with the British designed trigger.
    Overall it is a nice rifle.
    I would avoid the BSA's that are fitted with the Gamo trigger , even the GRT conversions , they are not in the same class , and appear to be built to a lower standard than BSA's used to be built , (in my opinion).

In my opinion the rifle is also a bit loud for unobstrusive shooting.

Cheers.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I don't know much about the new lightnings, because they are now GAMOfied, so don't trust them too much.

What I can tell you is that the ORIGINAL BSA versions are VERY SWEET after a downtune. One of the easiest-shooting springers you will find. Compact and accurate, and smooth as silk, with a not at all bad standard trigger.

If I did my part, a 10mm 5-shot group at 25m was standard issue. I am sorry I ever sold it.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

HW50s

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I wonder whatever happened to Guido's old Lightning.

Who owns it now?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ok so here it is. I own a tx200hc with lots of custom bits, a fully tuned hw50s with ginb stock. Weihrauch hw97k, self-tuned and a Gecado mod 50 that's older than me. So like I said in my original post, I wanted something a little cheaper for out and about shooting, I know it's not gonna compare to my others and I don't mind. All I wanted to know was is 2.5k for a brand new BSA lightning GRT a bad discussion. But anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and get one, if it's not great, I'll tune it till it's at it's best. Hell I've also been thinking of doing a project gun now for a while. So there I am, might like it, might just need a little magic... Thanks for the help though, really appreciate it alot guys

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I will take over your Gin B HW 50 and swop an LGV 4.5 with plastic stock but maybe not !LGV,s are easy to work on so much enjoyment changed one to 5mm and only 300 mm barrel its a blast for close range PC

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The BSA with gasram makes a really compact sweet shooter.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

And what a lot of fun it is to fiddle around with the air rifles it keeps me out of trouble ! please keep us up to date with your progress and and any tuning tips you learn

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

For that price, you cant go wrong. Only draw back on them is the new design triggers. And you dont get new piston seals for them in SA

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Out of interest, not worth getting hold of Paris and see what they are clearing out? [SPECIAL OFFER] Air Rifle clearance, HUGE DISCOUNTS ~ Air Rifle SA Forums
    I know nothing about the BSA's, but he might have some wisdom to impart with.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Dogtrix, an LGV for my Ginb hw50s? Are you insane? The Ginb stock alone is worth more than the entire LGV...... even one with a wooden stock!! anyways, I have learned that the newer BSA rifles use the SAT gamo trigger with a modified safety lever. It can be tuned to a short crisp second stage stroke by inserting a longer set screw beind the trigger and, and I say this only because I know I can do this as I have machine tools at my disposal, modify the shears. I have inspected this trigger mechanism and I know beyond a doubt that by changing a tiny amount of angle on the middle shear and sharpening the latch edge, it can become very close to a match trigger, not a perfect one, but very very close. If I foul it up, I'll just make new shears. Like I said, I have machine tools to use and I can have them hardend and annealed properly. And So the journey begins....