Thread: BSA Airsporter - Stuck piston

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default BSA Airsporter - Stuck piston

Hi All,

I got my hands an Airsporter(MK7) that would not cock. I disassembled the rifle, and now I cannot get that piston out. I soaked it overnight with Q 20, tried again, and it would not budge.
    I jumped on it with all my weight, but it keeps on laughing in my face.

What other methods can I try?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hello,

You could try heating the outside of the compression tube with a hair dryer or heat gun.....

Cheers.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I had the same problem a while back. The o-ring is the wrong size. I resorted to gently heating the tube with a hot airgun and pounding the piston out using a steel rod down the barrel you will have to repeat the process a number of times. Once you have the piston out you'll need to polish the compression chamber to get the residue gunk out. Good luck

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thank you for your advise. I got the piston out with some heat from the wife's hear dryer.
    I made contact with Vrystaat for some spares, so will hopefully get her shooting soon.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Njappers View Post
    Thank you for your advise. I got the piston out with some heat from the wife's hear dryer.
    I made contact with Vrystaat for some spares, so will hopefully get her shooting soon.

And? Sorted?

Marksman

User Info Menu

I got the rifle shooting again after making my own buffer washer and tap shim. Sourced tap spring from an old lighter.
    The rifle is not shooting well though. It shoots 5 to 7cm low at 10m. I think it needs a main spring replacement. I screwed the cylinder and trigger housing in by hand without difficulty.
    The tap lever is broken, and the tap shim I made will not last. I need these parts, but Adriaan is not getting back to me.

Who else will be able to help with parts?

Thanks,
    Njaps

Marksman

User Info Menu

I got this rifle shooting nicely. Good tight groups at 10m. Replaced the spring with a shortened universal spring. Took a couple of attempts before it felt right. It still vibrates quite a lot though. I am sure it will run in with time.

On another point...I was fortunate to get my hands on a .22 Airsporter in great condition. It had a broken spring. I bought another universal spring, but this one had a thicker wire than the other and the original. It fitted in the piston so I gave it a go like before. The problem I have now is that I cut 10 coils off already, and she still kicks like a mule. Very difficult to cock too. How short can I really go? I tried to find a spring with the original springs specks, but no luck.

Should I forget about mending other springs to fit, or is there a place in Pretoria with a better selection of springs to choose from?

Regards,
    Njaps

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Good evening...I have an old tect document that mentions spring sizes and coils.
    What it says for Airsporter is the following:
    OD 20mm
    ID 15mm
    coil thickness 3mm
    lentgh 270mm
    coils 29 - 32

Hope this helps