Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really dumb question from a a person that knows nothing about Field Target

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Really dumb question from a a person that knows nothing about Field Target

Hi guys my 11 year old son wants to start FT shooting so I guess I will have to try set up his scope for him bit confused about one thing . As far as I know 2nd focal plane scopes will change their POI for each magnification setting, I under stand 50x is used for ranging but the field of view is so small at 50x I don't think its practicle to shoot at 50x ? - So my question is at what magnification should I zero his scope at about 25 M ?

SAFTAA Chairman
    Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17
    MOT: Steyr Sport Service South Africa

User Info Menu

hi Seadog

if this is for your son I would do the following.
    let him shoot SFT for a couple of shoots this way he will get points and walk off happy.
    you will need to set the scope to 12 mag and tape it there.

the scope should always remain the same in either focal plane if the parallax is correct.

most FT shooters range at 50mag and shoot on lower mag.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanx was told to buy him a 50x scope so he could compete taping it at 12x defeats the purpose of me buying him a bloody expensive scope lol - What magnification do most ft shooter zero their scopes at ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

so I understand wrong thought only first focal plane scopes hold the POI at all magnifications ?

SAFTAA Chairman

User Info Menu

seadog

If he is going to shoot FT in the near future then the 50x scope is a must.
    the mag is only used for ranging purposes. the zero and shooting is done on any mag.
    the poi is decided on the clicks turret or mildots which ever you find easier to use.

Airgun Terminology ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

http://www.aafta.org/html/education/...on_ft_faq.html

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Not worth keeping your 4-16 gamo and starting off on that.
    Save you if he decides its not his cup of tea

SAFTAA Chairman

User Info Menu

Use the Gamo to start with

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi fully understand but we were advised to get him started in FT the type you get a point for hitting the target and two if you knock the midle down still don't know what magnification to zero his scope at - no stress I ill ask the FT chaps at the range where we shoot on the weekend

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

@Seadog,

what you are describing is SFT (2 points for dropping and 1 point for a hit on the face plate and zero for an NMI).
    It is the 'starter' division of FT in SA.
    AS others suggested, use the Gamo (set at 12x) for a start, the 50x scopes cost a fortune and maybe your son will not enjoy it that much that it would warrant the costs.

Since you are allowed to adjust your focus and turrets (up and down), where you choose to 'zero' your scope is a bit academic in my mind. If you want to set your zero range (where the pellet travel is basically parallel for a period of time, then in the region of 25-30m (maybe a bit larger range if you are running closer to 18fpe vs 12fpe with its flatter trajectory) would be your starting point.
    That would always then be the highest spot the pellet would strike (POI) and distances closer and further would then strike lower (so you would aim over (with mildots) or adjust the turret up if using clicks)

Hope this makes things a little clearer

It is a great sport and most of the people are really nice, friendly and helpful (mind some with strangely coloured Steyrs though )

Quote Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
    Hi fully understand but we were advised to get him started in FT the type you get a point for hitting the target and two if you knock the midle down still don't know what magnification to zero his scope at - no stress I ill ask the FT chaps at the range where we shoot on the weekend

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

A helpful graphic in understanding the difference between first and second focal plane scopes.

Rifle scope focal planes

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    BOSS 2017

User Info Menu

Doug, the magnification doesn't make a difference to POI. If it does then you either have a large parallax error or the scope is junk.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Lol and he had a perfectly good 24 x Hawke sidewinder - ((mine now )) Thanx Mark the way I under stand it the hold over marks will change at difnt magnification the POI on each mill dot on a 2nd focal plane scope - Ill let you and Paul sort out his new scope way to complicated for this plinkers brain Ill stick to parking off and watching
    Last edited by Seadog; 19-07-17 at 12:51.

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    BOSS 2017

User Info Menu

Oh. He's going to holdover. Then it makes a difference. We'll get a click chart going for him so he doesn't have to holdover and can shoot at any mag.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Will probably be best for him he batles to understand turning the dial he practises just using the dots I'm really impressed at how well he manages so far - Ill make him your problem I'm clueless with all this stuff

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    BOSS 2017

User Info Menu

Cool. What scope did dad buy him? Does it have a big sidewheel?