Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPA Predator / PR900W; how good are they really?

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

Default SPA Predator / PR900W; how good are they really?

So how good are these budget rifles really?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I had 2 of them, 5.5mm and .177, as an entry level or for beginners, they work, my .177 it was fairly accurate within 20m but the 5.5mm was a bit out even with heavy pellets which I think it was the mag (terrible magazine) deforming the pellets also using the single shot try I notice the nose of the pellet dips in a bit when you probe them, with a bit of work can be a fun plinker. They can be good for kids to start learning how to shoot and safe procedures of guns.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've had 2 in 5.5, in our club we have like 10 of them. For that price you cant go wrong, i shot a 20c grouping at 30m, i also shoot a pan at 110m at will. Nothing in that price range comes even close! First time my 7 year old ever shoots he was shooting 60m targets with ease, ive also tried most pellets. The pr900w seems to love the jsb 15,8gr pellets, other pellets go in hard. Then you have the factory o rings which are crap! if you get one replace all o rings and silicone grease them, you wont have any leaking issues again. A guy in our club fitted a regulator and shot count is more consistent , my first ever hft after shooting for a few weeks i got 42 out of 60 with the pr900w and i wasn't trying hard at all. We get them for 2900 so for that price you cant complain. On the Chrony it did 970fps with 10.9gr pellet, it also needs a silencer. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I hear they do quite a bit of damage to car doors.......

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

They almost go straight through 2017 ford ikon doors

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The one I have is absolutely cr@p, I would not recommend it at all, waste of money, horribly inaccurate at 25m, barrel seems to be the problem, to me it seems as if the choke is at the wrong end of the barrel, hard to drive the pellet through at the breech end and loose thereafter, I have tried the variety pack of JSB's and H&N.

Chrony string tell a story too. Hard hitting little b@stard though!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've had one of these for a while now, in .177 caliber. I'll share my own experience, as I have played around, and modified it extensively!

Out of the box, 8.44 gr pellets went through the sound barrier, so I decided to "downtune" it a bit. I could also have opted to use heavier pellets, but rather wanted a few more shots...
    I recrowned the barrel, smoothed the trigger sears and lightened the pull a bit...I could get it down to 500 grams, but only single stage!!

Accuracy has always been better than what I could manage...(although that doesn't say much).

I reckon the true test came when I decided to modify it so my daughter could use it for school shooting. (This can be seen in more details in another thread I've started here...)
    She's been doing very good, despite the tough competition, and even got a few medals!!

What surprised me the most, was the barrel...I recently had the chance to shoot this rifle, as well as an Air Arms MPR, off of a vice. Accuracy was identical! BUT, it was only over 10 metres, AND, this only made me realise one thing!! The Predator's trigger is not very good, to say the least. Even after the work I've done to it, I think this rifle is let down by the trigger. Don't get me wrong, it's very manageable, but not great for target shooting...

Working on this rifle was very easy, and after stripping it many times, and after shooting thousands of rounds through it, there's absolutely no signs of wear or any other issues yet!

So, to make my long story somewhat shorter, I think this rifle is a bargain, especially for the price!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

sirshootalot's lekker thread: A Different SPA Predator ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Of course y'all know that the Predator has been rebadged under a formerly prestigious German marque... the trigger might be slightly improved.

Diana Stormrider

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks, CK!

Perhaps the factory crown was less than perfect, but I think the main issue with this rifle, is that it is set up too powerful for this caliber out of the box...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Really? Thought it was a Ford focus?

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Interesting....there is a dad and son combo on FB telling everyone these are the best bang for buck and that they hit "potatoes" at 50 meters and further and that this little rifle can compete with more expensive PCP'c.......

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Mixed reviews! The artemis comes witg 2 stage trigger, im only a novice but I had a sumatra .20 for 2 weeks and I could not tell a clear difference between it and the artemis. As for accuray I've shot EAIs at 30m+ and like I said hit targets at 110m easy. Maybe we should post some groupings, Iill try some this weekend.

As for the mag once you get used to it it's not half bad. I struggled with loading in the beginning but there is a trick to it. Then loading from mag with any other pellet then jsb was a headache. Like I said I had a sumatra and that mag was way worse. It would go in hard, if you use jsb the gun must be leaning forward or the pellet drops out, sometimes they hit the body and bend, then you would have to replace that pellets etc. So artemis for 2900 mag compared to a sumatra 11000! Mag, artemis hands down wins.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

That sounds nothing like any Sumatra I've come across... And I'm not their biggest fan. The mag system, apart from having no retention o-ring, is generally good and definitely better than the Artemis mag I used, particularly when it comes to the likelihood of deforming pellets. How were you loading it? Or maybe it was a lemon?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The mag i guess are for the long pellet like the eun jin pellet, jsb was just falling out the whole time, i even greased the little ball on both sides.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I had the predator for a week or so. I had some issues with msg, so comparing it to any other wouldn't be fair, I hated the rifle from get go, personal preference I guess although the rifle was pretty accurate with 5 shot groupings the size of a 50c coin out 25mtre. Didn't try any further. I wouldn't compare it to the Sumatra at all though.