Thread: Nikko Stirling cant keep zero

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Nikko Stirling cant keep zero

I recently got a Nikko Stirling gold crown 2x7x40.or so I was told by sales guy.

it was a showroom demo and was fitted on my 4.5mm pcp rifle in store.

The problem is only taking it out to the range did i notice the lens covers where cracked, rubber grips of turret covers where cracked as well. I only noticed it on unscrewing the turret covers.

The turrets where already very tightly manipulated off 0 marks. Any turret manipulation down to the shot marking does not help in getting sight in right.

Would it be fair to take scope back to the shop?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hell yes, make a big seen!

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veldrot View Post
    I recently got a Nikko Stirling gold crown 2x7x40.or so I was told by sales guy.

it was a showroom demo and was fitted on my 4.5mm pcp rifle in store.

The problem is only taking it out to the range did i notice the lens covers where cracked, rubber grips of turret covers where cracked as well. I only noticed it on unscrewing the turret covers.

The turrets where already very tightly manipulated off 0 marks. Any turret manipulation down to the shot marking does not help in getting sight in right.

Would it be fair to take scope back to the shop?

Demo as in put on a rifle before? Or "display" as in just for show?
    If the rubber turrets are cracked im sure it was used before. If it wasn't disclosed to you at time of purchase, then bring it to their attention. If it cannot hold zero on a pcp then its definitely bust.
    Take it back for another model and make sure you see contents before leaving the store. Making a scene won't help your issue, they could turn around saying you damaged it, seeing that it was installed in-store and im sure you had a look through it saying yes good to go

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sounds like you need to shim the scope. I think first swap your mounts around. Best is take it to someone with proper experience to fit it properly. Post pics of the cracks etc so we can tell you if it is normal. Remember this is a cheapy and if it is a store demo the more of a cheapy.

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'17
    Ladies World FT Champ '15
    National FT Ladies Champ '13/'14/'15/'16/'17

SAFTAA FT Colours '11/'12/'13

User Info Menu

I agree with Cor. Firstly, pictures please. Then there is a difference with can't keeping zero and not being able to zero it. It sounds to me like you can't get it to zero. If that is the case, then yes, you would need to shim the scope.
    I know I might be stepping on a whole lot of toes but you say it was fitted by someone in shop. If this said person fitted a scope in that condition then that means this guy does not really know what he is doing. Maybe he didn't see and fitted you the wrong scope. Seems like you also didn't see until you started having issues.

The end of the story is trust your gut. If you feel you need to take it back then do so. You are going to have to trust this scope for as long as you shoot with it. If you already don't trust it, and you get one random miss, you will always blame the scope subconsciously or at least question the scope.

Buying things off the shelf is also not the best. You always have these worries in the back of your mind. Some people in stores really don't know how to handle things, or WORSE, It was a Huntex display model.
    Whichever way, good luck with sorting it out. You paid hard earned money for it and it's not fair to have something that does not work.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It was a display model from one of those racks at the gunstore.

It was close to closing time so I barely looked and the sales guy fitted it in the shop for me.

In hindsight I should have looked at better at purchase but both me and sales guy was quite in a hurry. no box etc.

will take photos tomorrow in better lighting.

But u also get what u pay for. I am taking it back for a refund and buying a hawke airmax and fitting it at at home.

Did the fitting of my Vortex Viper pst on my 308 at home.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hello,

In my experience Nikko Stirling 'scopes are cheap junk , demand your money back.

I have gone through several Niko Stirling scopes , they all broke rather quickly , and I did not even have them attached to powerful airguns.

Cheers.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Hello,

In my experience Nikko Stirling 'scopes are cheap junk , demand your money back.

I have gone through several Niko Stirling scopes , they all broke rather quickly , and I did not even have them attached to powerful airguns.

Cheers.

Agreed!
    I got a couple mounted on secondhand guns, they are great fun to use as targets!
    To add insult to injury I shoot em with open sights,