Thread: Gun Care

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Gun Care

This topic hasn't been covered in a while so I thought I would rehash it.
    How do you care for your air rifles and how often for each?

After every shoot I give my LGU a wipe down with an oily rag. Once a month she gets a light layer of ballistol on the stock, metal and external links etc. She shoots so well I do nothing internally.
    The scope has its own two cloths. One for the body and one for lenses. Been tempted to do a wipe with my glasses cleaning spray, but don't want to risk it.
    I was tempted to send a couple of those synthetic cotton like pellets down the barrel, but I read on "the lost volume" fb page Walther barrels need a good leading in or else they shoot like a shotgun.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Clean the barrel regularly , do not use those "felt cleaning pellets" , us a non-steel cleaning rod with a nylon brush or ordinary cotton patches , Balllistol is your friend.
    Wipe excess oil out before shooting.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Ballistol for exterior care.
    Only clean the barrel with cotton patches when accuracy goes for a ball of

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ballistol is really good, I use fluid film tho, especially on guns I do not use regularly.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

my guns I wipe them with silicone spray on the metal parts and o-rings, on the stock, if it's polymer or wood, I use(you guys can laugh) I use Mr. Min lightly on the soft cloth.
    I never cleaned the barrels out of the box, I shoot them as it comes, I believe the grease on them will penetrate the metal and cure it, after a 1000 shots, if I see the lead dust turning blackish, I do a few passes with dry cotton until they come out clean, so far no problem with accuracy, polymer stock turning whitish(like a car bumper) or the wooden stock turning dull.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi all

I use balistol on the outside of my rifles, wood and steel. Mo-Di No1 on all metal to metal "wearing/bearing" parts and molykote111 on all synthetic seals. These are the best for the money and work wondes, been using these for many years without any faults. NO need for top shelf lubes/greases and cleaning solvents!! Just the basics.....

Cheers

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madness View Post
    Hi all

I use balistol on the outside of my rifles, wood and steel. Mo-Di No1 on all metal to metal "wearing/bearing" parts and molykote111 on all synthetic seals. These are the best for the money and work wondes, been using these for many years without any faults. NO need for top shelf lubes/greases and cleaning solvents!! Just the basics.....

Cheers
    Balistol is still the best even after nearly a 100 years

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi guys. I've seen some conflicting stories on the net about care of gas pistons. Some say a drop of silicone oil or bespoke crosman chamber oil every so often in the chamber is needed. Others say don't touch it leave it as is.
    Thoughts?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dogtrix View Post
    Balistol is still the best even after nearly a 100 years
    I like fluid film.......