Thread: Buccaneer, Coyote or Nothing but a Hound Dog...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Buccaneer, Coyote or Nothing but a Hound Dog...

I have watched with interest YouTube reviews of the BSA Buccaneer SE and Gamo Coyote and read a few more in print and I'm impressed that BSA Guns Ltd and its parent company, Gamo, have put these well-specified, multi-shot pcps on the market at competitive prices. Reportedly, both are good shooters capable of achieving sub one-inch groups at 50 yards, and maybe doing a little better on a calm day and with the right pellet for the rifle.

Both rifles clearly have a common heritage which goes back to the BSA Scorpion SE and its predecessors; they share many parts in common, including barrels made on BSA's hammer-forged barrel-making machine.Both rifles have magazines that lock in place by means of a magnet (a brilliant innovation) which is an improvement on the Scorpion SE whose magazine has to be latched in place manually.

However one possible perceived downside is that both rifles employ trigger units which are undoubtedly made by Gamo; basically the same units as fitted to Gamo springers. Seeking clarification, I wrote to BSA Guns' technical support team and received the following reply:

"The BSA Buccaneer SE air rifle is fitted with the Gamo SAT trigger mechanism. This mechanism is fitted with a fixed 1st stage trigger pull. You cannot, therefore, adjust the first stage trigger pressure. The Gamo Coyote is fitted with the CAT trigger mechanism. The CAT mechanism features an adjustable 1st stage pull achieved by incorporating a screw in the blade which increases or decreases the compression of the trigger spring when adjusted."

Personally, I don't think this is necessarily a deal-breaker and several reviewers including BB Pelletier aka Tom Gaylord on his Pyramid Air Blog consider these triggers to be not only usable, but perfectly acceptable. Should one nevertheless feel that 'out of the box' the trigger is in need of improvement, there is the option of installing an after-market trigger blade kit, such as the locally-made 'Blizzard blade' or the GRT4 as developed by Charlie da Tuna. (As an aside, one of my all time favourite spring air rifles is a Gamo Whisper X (reviewed some years ago on this forum). I didn't much like the the feel of the stock trigger unit so I fitted a GRT3 replacement trigger blade kit, which was a worthwhile improvement resulting in better accuracy and smaller group sizes.)

I must confess that I reserve a place close to my heart for BSA air rifles, having owned a few of them since boyhood (sadly all but one now sold). If any member owns or has shot with a BSA Buccaneer I should be interested in hearing about their experience of the rifle.

Thanks for reading,

Mick

Administrator

User Info Menu

A potential fly in the ointment is; will the new owners of NYCA continue manufacturing the Blizzard Blade now that St-John has left?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen K View Post
    A potential fly in the ointment is; will the new owners of NYCA continue manufacturing the Blizzard Blade now that St-John has left?
    They would be stupid not too.......

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default My experience

Hi I donno about the gamo coyote but i did own the previous pcp buy gamo the Dynamax which is basically a longer version of the bsa ultra. I owned the gun in 4.5mm and from what i can see its basically the same gun except for the cocking mechanism . the gun shoots well it likes crosman premier heavy 10.5gr pellets which are very hard to find . doesn't really like jsb pellets to much . if you use the crosman pellets i was able to get a sub inch group at 45 meters but the groups really open up to almost 3 inch at 90 meters but i guess that comes with the smaller calibre . although i must say the trigger is really nice and breaks clean . the gun is very loud without a silencer .I dont think that the gun is a good option if you wanted it in 5.5 calibre thought because of the smallish air cylinder especially cos the gun is not regulated.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I to have owned 2 BSA pcp's, an ultra multi shot and a scorpion single shot. Both where in .177 and both where "pre" SE versions. These where bought around 10/11 years ago and where both made in the UK before gamo stuck their fingers in the pot. They had fantastic triggers, not the gamo crap of today. Also they liked the CP heavies, 10.5gr. Groups where about inch at 50-60m. BSA was onto something here. Then gamo game came along and f#$ked it up. My my, how the mighty have fallen!!

So sad really!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madness View Post
    I to have owned 2 BSA pcp's, an ultra multi shot and a scorpion single shot. Both where in .177 and both where "pre" SE versions. These where bought around 10/11 years ago and where both made in the UK before gamo stuck their fingers in the pot. They had fantastic triggers, not the gamo crap of today. Also they liked the CP heavies, 10.5gr. Groups where about inch at 50-60m. BSA was onto something here. Then gamo game came along and f#$ked it up. My my, how the mighty have fallen!!

So sad really!!

Agreed 100 %.

The current production BSA's are just a Gamo with a new badge , the older versions of BSA were and are very nice , they at least were built to tighter tolerances.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have to agree about the older BSAs. I keep a BSA Scorpion .22 single shot in the UK for PC and it's super-accurate for those 12 lb/ft headshots.
    Last edited by Citizen K; 13-08-17 at 09:54.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Agreed 100 %.

The current production BSA's are just a Gamo with a new badge , the older versions of BSA were and are very nice , they at least were built to tighter tolerances.
    I'm glad this post has sparked an interesting discussion and it's great to hear from purchasers of both Gamo and BSA pre-charged air rifles. As many will know BSA, as an independent manufacturer and seller of air rifles went into liquidation about 40 years ago and the company was bought by Gamo and had a new lease of life as a division of the Gamo corporation. Until Gamo decided to enter the PCP market it seems to me that BSA were allowed a high degree of autonomy and developed some "winners" such as the Ultra, the Hornet, Lonestar,Scorpion and SuperTen and after a shaky start as a Mk1, the RapidTen in its Mk2 guise. Gamo's entry model into the pcp marker was with the Gamo Dynamax which was essentially a re-badged BSA Scorpion. It's successor, the Coyote, in terms of its barrel and action is also a BSA; this much is obvious from looking at an exploded diagram of component parts. The fact that a BSA magazine is interchangeable with that of a Coyote supports this contention. So, the notion that the current line-up of BSA pcps are simply re-badged Gamos is a tad far-fetched. I'm an optimist by nature and I like to think that the Gamo / BSA partnership will continue to build on its strengths in a highly competitive marketplace.