Thread: Walther LP53

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Walther LP53

One of my vintage air pistols

Walther LP53 as new with box, barrel stabilizer and all accessories. I believe they used this very air pistol in a old Bond movie instead of a real gun.

Walther LP53

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Very nice and very good condition.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
    Very nice and very good condition.
    Thanks ye it is mint fired around 5 times if i remember

Walther LP53
    Last edited by Operator; 08-08-17 at 18:35.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Operator View Post
    I believe they used this very air pistol in a old Bond movie instead of a real gun.
    No, the gun wasn't used in the movie itself.

A Walther LP53 was however used in a promotional photograph for the film From Russia With Love and apparently some others.

The story of why this occurred:

Lot Notes from Christies: "The original vendor, who was commissioned to shoot the images required for the publicity campaign for the second Bond film From Russia With Love, explains in his accompanying letter that "it was decided that for the main image in the poster and advertising campaign what was required was a strong portrait of Sean Connery as Bond 007, with his Walther pistol" He explains further that when Connery arrived at his studio for the shoot, it was discovered by publicist Tom Carlile that no one had brought the gun needed for the shoot, the synonymous small Walther automatic [Walther PPK]. By chance the photographer practised air pistol target shooting as a hobby and had the gun he used for this purpose, also a Walther, at the studio "it was decided that - without telling Sean or the other representatives of United Artists - we would use my pistol for the pictures and presumed that should anyone have doubts on their seeing the name Walther on the gun, they would be reassured.

At a Christies auction of 25/11/2010, the Walther LP53 air pistol held by Sean Connery as James Bond in the photo-shoot used for the main image in the poster and advertising campaign for the 1963 United Artists/Eon film From Russia With Love has sold for a staggering 277,250 (around $430,000), more than 10 times the estimate.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info...interesting
    Last edited by Operator; 09-08-17 at 12:05.