Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunstock maker seeks partner

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Gunstock maker seeks partner

An Indonesian gunstock craftsman in the vein of Craftsman Vit is looking for a cash injection. He once sent me sample pictures of his work (see below) and I tried to arrange an export deal for him with a popular local retailer, but that fell through. The guy is looking for US$500 (hardly business capital for many, but I think in that part of the world it goes a long way). He needs it to buy blanks.

I thought of setting up a GoFundMe.com page for him, but I imagine most people online would baulk at the idea of funding a gunstock craftsman.

His name is Handi Sugih of Gunstock Indonesia.

Anyone care to chip in? I am willing to assume some of the risk in return for helping a hard-working artisan.

Edit: I am speaking to him and he says that US$500 would get him a minimum of 20 Rosewood blanks.

Here are some recent stocks that Handi just sent through.

Last edited by sithu; 18-08-17 at 15:26.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Wow. Those are lovely stocks
    Don't have the cash to fund him, but I'd certainly take a long hard look at buying one of those Hw100 stocks if he exports and it's not absurdly expensive
    Last edited by Macros; 18-08-17 at 15:59.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    Don't have the cash to fund him, but I'd certainly take a long hard look at buying one of those Hw100 stocks if he exports and it's not absurdly expensive

Thanks, I will give him the feedback once I take a quick nap. Just got home in a right state...

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    If i may add input.
    What i would be looking at should i decided to change the stock on my HW100S today:

• An adjustable comb
    • Elegant lines similar to that of the OEM stock
    • Very little additional weight compared to the OEM stock
    • Dimensions similar to the OEM unit

I like the look of Rosewood though i have zero experience with it w.r.t. it's stability for use in a rifle stock.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Marius. I am sure Handi would appreciate all input and I will relay this to him as well (I have asked him to follow the thread but I do follow up with him too).

Quote Originally Posted by Marius in Afrika View Post
    If i may add input.
    What i would be looking at should i decided to change the stock on my HW100S today:

• An adjustable comb
    • Elegant lines similar to that of the OEM stock
    • Very little additional weight compared to the OEM stock
    • Dimensions similar to the OEM unit

I like the look of Rosewood though i have zero experience with it w.r.t. it's stability for use in a rifle stock.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

One anonymous contributor has pledged R500. I am going to match this one to help get the ball rolling.

I will also ask him to send a price list (ex. and incl. shipping) for those that might consider buying stocks from him.

Also, any feedback on the stocks will be relayed. Any new information will be posted on this thread.

Anyone else willing to chip in? When we pool our resources it minimises the cost per head and I'm sure this money will go a long way.

Contributions:

At the current USD/ZAR rate on 19 August, 2017, we'd need ZAR6578,42 to raise USD500.

1. Anonymous (R500)
    2. Sithu (R500)
    3. -
    4. -
    5. -
    6. -
    7. -
    8. -
    9. -
    10. -
    11. -
    12. -
    13. -
    14. -
    15. -

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I'll buy a stock for my hw100 if prices are reasonable and can share shipping with others wanting one

Marksman

User Info Menu

Question: how did these stocks come to be photographed in England?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
    I'll buy a stock for my hw100 if prices are reasonable and can share shipping with others wanting one
    Noted. Will keep you in mind for update.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

How did you determine that - Exif data? I haven't checked but I will forward the question. Handi is trying to register so that he can respond to queries.

Quote Originally Posted by Damoni View Post
    Question: how did these stocks come to be photographed in England?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sithu View Post
    How did you determine that - Exif data? I haven't checked but I will forward the question. Handi is trying to register so that he can respond to queries.
    Hugget shrouds, A&M cylinders, typical English garden scenes......

Question; Indonesia is a huge airgun market, much bigger than ours, why should we "sponsor" an Indo stockmaker over one of our own talented local craftsmen?

Marksman

User Info Menu

That's where I'm from and at least four of those stocks have very likely been photographed in England. It's certainly not Indonesia - do they have 500 year-old building with leaded windows, English leaf rakes for a deciduous autumn fall and build walls using a Flemish bond? I seriously doubt it.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Handi responded thus:

That's where I'm from and at least four of those stocks have very likely been photographed in England. It's certainly not Indonesia - do they have 500 year-old building with leaded windows, English leaf rakes for a deciduous autumn fall and build walls using a Flemish bond? I seriously doubt it.

In all fairness, I've been aware of this guy for quite a while. He does make and sell stocks. I met him when he was trying to sell into new markets many months ago.

Even a cursory look at his profile, conversations and his friends' list will show that he's been an active manufacturer and seller of stocks for a long time.
    Last edited by sithu; 19-08-17 at 13:19.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Some English customers who all have the same garden?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Some English customers who all have the same garden?
    Could be someone distributing his stocks there just like he wanted to do here last year? He was looking for a local partner to sell his stocks here.

He should be online to answer once his registration is approved - until then, I will just pass these back and forth.