Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First PCP / CO2 Advice

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default First PCP / CO2 Advice

Hello fellow airgunners!

I have always shot springers and my go to gun has been my dad's 50 year old BSA meteor .177 (still shooting like a machine after all those years, constantly giving me 620 FPS and it likes the round nose marksman pellets). I have also been considering buying myself a nice gas ram/spring air gun for plinking and practicing standing shooting (as I believe it is a good way to practice technique). Now I am looking for a PCP/CO2 (although I am leaning more to the CO2 side because of shot capacity). The main purpose will be for PC up to let's say 50m+. The reason for choosing PCP/CO2 is for recoil-less shots, thus resulting in better accuracy and because of the lack of a noisy spring, silencers tend to do their job better.

Now I have done some research and I have the Beeman QB79 in mind (this is also a good gun for later conversion to HPA) and I also think it will prove to be a very fun and tweakable gun, without having to redline my bank account.

I would like the best mix between: Price, accuracy and shot capacity.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If you're leaning to the QB79, I would also consider the Benjamin Discovery, because it is dual power - co2 and HPA - while you acquire parts and accessories along the way to having a full PCP kit.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fucius View Post
    If you're leaning to the QB79, I would also consider the Benjamin Discovery, because it is dual power - co2 and HPA - while you acquire parts and accessories along the way to having a full PCP kit.
    Thank you for your reply. I will google the specs of the benjamin now. How does second hand price of the benjamin compare to the Q79?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

As a matter of interest , who sells beeman and Benjamin locally?

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by speedfox_2002 View Post
    As a matter of interest , who sells beeman and Benjamin locally?

Benjamin maxximus i keep in 5.5mm single load only. Replacement of discovery(no longer available). Maximus price R5999 incl 6x40AO scope. You can use co2 but shot count is same with air and co2. Air always better for seals and more consistent

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Windstar View Post
    because of the lack of a noisy spring, silencers tend to do their job better.
    Spring guns sound noisy because of the action being right next to your ear.

If you stand down range and get someone to fire a shot at a safe distance past to one side of you the noise of the pellet in flight will be much more noticeable than the sound of the gun.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The spa predator is also a very good option. Very affordable as a startout rifle but also quite capable. Good built guality and lots of room for tuning.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I Just bought the SPA Artemis 4.5mm CR600W yesterday and out the box it performed well. Performed even better after I cleaned the barrel. Runs on 12g CO2 cylinders but is easy to convert to bulk CO2
    gets around 35 good shots per cylinder
    see attached grouping(I pulled one of them) at 25m with gamo wadcutter pro match pellets (grouping is better with JSB's but I dont have a pic of that...doh)
    Outdoorpitstop has them at R1900 last i saw. Comes in 5.5mm as well

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

There you go....

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Spring guns sound noisy because of the action being right next to your ear.

If you stand down range and get someone to fire a shot at a safe distance past to one side of you the noise of the pellet in flight will be much more noticeable than the sound of the gun.
    Fair enough I can see your point, maybe it is different with gas rams, or high end springers, but with the springers I am used to the spring hits the front of the chamber, and this makes either a "thud" or a "clang" sound. The spring recoil is also what makes the gun harder to shoot (since the recoil affects the gun before the pellet leaves the barrel) and makes you a more disciplined shooter. Although as you said, I guess at something like 50 meters you will probably notice the pellet more than the sound of the action, my springer just makes a hell of a noise...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    The spa predator is also a very good option. Very affordable as a startout rifle but also quite capable. Good built guality and lots of room for tuning.
    Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely check it out as well.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by speedfox_2002 View Post
    I Just bought the SPA Artemis 4.5mm CR600W yesterday and out the box it performed well. Performed even better after I cleaned the barrel. Runs on 12g CO2 cylinders but is easy to convert to bulk CO2
    gets around 35 good shots per cylinder
    see attached grouping(I pulled one of them) at 25m with gamo wadcutter pro match pellets (grouping is better with JSB's but I dont have a pic of that...doh)
    Outdoorpitstop has them at R1900 last i saw. Comes in 5.5mm as well
    Nice! That isn't a bad group! How does the group more or less look with the JSB's? Although in my opinion the QB79 has better accuracy and especially for long ranged shots, which is the route I am looking to go in it will suit my needs better (QB when finely tuned should be very accurate up until 80 meters).

The problem is just finding one... They seem to be as abundant as chicken teeth...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ek het 'n QB79 wat verander is na HPA. Kry so 30 goeie skote met 8.44gr 4.53 teen so 760vps. Skiet deesdae meer met die springer maar die QB bly maar n gunsteling

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

With jsb heavies(did not have 8.44 with me) the shots were all edge on edge. I was originally looking for a qb as well but I couldn't find one and to import one is a bit stiff on shipping. If you find a supplier let me know

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rashaadk View Post
    Air always better for seals and more consistent
    Aye, more consistent, generally more shots per fill and cheaper on the long run.