Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First PCP / CO2 Advice

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Air is cheaper in the long run. But Ive put roughly 5000 pellets through my crosman 1077 which has been converted to bulk co2 and the trick to keeping it happy is putting a drop of crosman pellgunoil on the seals every 100 rounds or so. So far no issues. But air is definitely not affected by temp like co2 which is my biggest annoyance

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    Aye, more consistent, generally more shots per fill and cheaper on the long run.
    David,

Bulk fill CO2 will normally give a lot more shots per fill than compressed air, cost wise the bulk fill works out cheaper than compressed air (in the UK at least), the 12 gram capsules are relatively expensive though.

I have a couple of CO2 match pistols at home, an FWB C25 and a Crosman Skanaker and both return a lot more shots per fill than an equivalent pcp match pistol.

The consistency issue is a bit of a red herring. It is only an issue in rapid fire where the CO2 liquid does not have enough time to change to its gas phase to keep pressure constant. In real terms, with a single shot gun this isn't an issue as the time taken to reload allows the pressure to recover.

Consistency is again pretty good in a single shot - it was used for match target guns for a good many years.
    Last edited by Dale; 23-08-17 at 07:22. Reason: typo

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Aah, so I was under the impression Co2 is much more sensitive to ambient temp change than compressed air. Love the knowledge shared in this forum, I learn something new so often!
    I personally don't like the idea of having to swop out pressure source often and if I should own any of the Co2 pistols which must be loads of fun to shoot I can foresee spending way to much on 12gr capsules, hence me avoiding the urge to buy to date. Here even bulk Co2 is not cheap AFAIK.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ok well co2 is sensitive to temp but consistency is true as per Dale's earlier post. An example is say you go to the range now and it's 15 degrees outside. You will be getting 400fps on a gun consistently (unless you fire rapidly where it will drop off) but on a 30 degree day you will get 550fps consistently unless you fire rapidly. So temp affects average velocity on a day and rapid firing affects consistency if that makes sense

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    Aah, so I was under the impression Co2 is much more sensitive to ambient temp change than compressed air.
    It can be, but to be fair that effect is at more extremes of temperature change, on a reasonable day it will perform very nicely.

In all honesty if it is cold (or hot) enough to start giving a big influence then I am going to find something better to do than play with an airgun.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just bought the SPA Artemis 4.5mm CR600W yesterday and out the box it performed well. Performed even better after I cleaned the barrel. Runs on 12g CO2 cylinders but is easy to convert to bulk CO2

How easy is it to convert to bulk Co2?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Basically the conversion kit uses a dummy co2 cylinder which has a hole drilled and tapped in it which a braided steel hose or nipple connector bolts into. This then connects to a CO2 bottle

i'ts not that hard. you get the conversion kit from outdoorpitstop for R200 and you have to cut a hole in the stock and the cylinder holder (where the 12g cylinders go in) so the line connector can come out the bottom or side of the stock. this can be done easily with a dremel(or cheap dremel copy, works fine) with a cutting disk and a normal hand drill
    it then connects straight to a paintball CO2 tank. I do recommend you get a on/off tap or quick disconnector as when you remove the cylinder from the line it does de-gas a bit which can be bothersome/disconcerting.

It's not a great pic but below is the conversion i did to a crosman 1077. I am changing the braided hose to a nipple connector which can then be connected to a quick disconnect and remote line which connects to the CO2 bottle making it less cumbersome to lug the co2 bottle around (some guys build the cylinders into the stock). all this can be bought from paintball stores.

All up the conversion for the crosman cost me R575 included a 12 ounce CO2 bottle. A refill costs about R25. and is good for 300+ shots.
    You get smaller and bigger bottles, from my 20oz i get around 500 shots
    The remote line kit costs about R480 but thats optional
    Give Rashaad a shout from outdoorpitstop.

Last edited by speedfox_2002; 23-08-17 at 13:23.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi there. How do u convert the CR600W to bulk CO2?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Rashaad from outdoorpitstop has an adapter kit for it. You need to do a buy of DIYing but once fitted it can run off a paintball tank