Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling S510 xtra fac

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Struggling S510 xtra fac

Hi everyone

I am new to air rifles and recently bought a Air Arms s510 xtra ultimate sporter in .177, but I am really struggelling with this rifle

Mounted on the rifle is a Optisan EVX 6-24 ×50 F1 with Optisan mounts used.

Day 1
    Rifle cleaned with pull through about 8 times. Scope mounted, charged to 190bar and loaded up some JSB monsters 13.43 gr. Was extremely windy and first 20 shots(adjustible power wheel at about 3/4 full) flew all over the target set at 15m. So I blamed the wind and thought the gun must first settle in. Next day the wind was less, fired 10 shots and still all over the target at 15m. I did not have a chrony so was unsure about velocity. I was also unsure if the twist rate of the barrel was enough to stabalise the long JSB Monster at low-ish velocities (no chrony) and this was maybe a reason for the poor accuracy.

Steps taken
    -bought chrony - prochrono
    -got JSB heavy diabolo 10.34gr pellets
    -eliminate bad scope by mounting Nightforce NXS 3.5 - 15 x50 F1 instead of Optisan - no loose screws, all torqed down
    -fire 80 more rounds of the 10.34gr pellets

Results:
    None
    The pellets are still all over target. I get it that a gun has to settle but the spread is so massive that I think something else must be wrong(see target photo). The extreme spreads accoring to chrony was about 39fps for my 1st string, 243fps for 2nd and 230fps for third.

Once Nightforce was mounted I had to move target from 15m to 50m as minimum focus was at 50m.

I need some advice about where to start troubleshooting. Or is 100 rounds for a PCP not enough to let it settle in?

Photos of setup and of target. Note the target is 1.5m x 1m size.

Last edited by HugoB; 27-08-17 at 23:00.

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    BOSS 2017

User Info Menu

Only time I've seen guns shoot that poorly is when the pellets clip the silencer.
    Or the gun is actually a 5mm or 5.5mm.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '15/'17

User Info Menu

If barrel is cleaned - I would not accept more than 10 to 25 shots for settling down from a 30mm to <20mm group @ 50m.

Your rifles problem is not a settling down issue. Something is upsetting the pellet, seriously.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Printed on side of action as 177. Might be the silencer/shroud baffles clipping it. Tried to load it without magazine to exlude those o-rings from the equation but it has the same effect. Very disappointed

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

At the infamous 25m test range that thing is supposed to put pellet on pellet using the brand it prefers. What does the chrony show, is the speed consistent? Have you tried pellets of different weight & make? If speed is consistent then something must be loose. Those rifles are normally top class I hope there is a quick fix for you.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

That's a serious issue! It's not the scope, sounds like you bought it new? Take it back!

REP: Hill Air Rifle Pumps
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hello , try shoot 8.44gr.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I would take it back asap.. Could be a burr in the transport or so. Otherwise shroud/silencer clipping as it was said already. Also check the caliber. might just be that they put in a 5mm barrel or so. Check stock screw tightness, barrel band ext. Also the screws holding the barrel and barrel seal.

Removing the shroud is not an easy task and if it's new rather take it back. They used some evil lock tight on those shroud threads.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '16

User Info Menu

Am I treading this correctly - an ES of 39, then 243 and 230 fps over 3 strings ?
    How many shots per string ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I assume the speed is m/s. If it is the speed in ft/s is in the 800. So pellet speed can be rule out as issue. 8.44 and 10.13 JSB normally work great in this gun. I have tested a few.

If you bought it new take it back.

If not the most obvious is damage to pellet on entry, either transfer port shaving or rough entry.

The spread is to big to be crown issue. Check for clipping in shroud. I do not see a silencer.

Palguns

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I agree with Palbirds, I think is on pellet entry been deformed or by the mag or the transfer port, normally the shroud has oversized holes and is unlikely that there is a pellet clip.
    Try single load and check the friction on pellet entry and compare probing with the mag, this guns should cycle smooth if you feel too much friction when probing in the pellet, is the pellet that is catching somewhere and deforming the skirt.

Marksman

User Info Menu

10 shots per string

Yes, gun is brand new. Also tried the loading without the magazine, same result.

Think I will take it back, but a kind fellow offered to take a look on Friday so will see if that yields any light on the problem.

Thank you all for the advice!
    Last edited by HugoB; 28-08-17 at 13:58.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HugoB View Post
    10 shots per string

Yes, gun is brand new. Also tried the loading without the magazine, same result.

Think I will take it back, but a kind fellow offered to take a look on Friday so will see if that yields any light on the problem.

Thank you all for the advice!

Rather take it back, otherwise the agent can say you worked on it and thus caused the damage.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Is the Ultimate Sporter fitted with a regulator?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I agree with Kuberboef, also it will void the warranty on it, this rifles should be dead accurate out of the box. Rather send it back.