Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very specific questions about SPA M10

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Very specific questions about SPA M10

Hi Guys,

im writing from a far far away country and please excuse my bad english.
    its really hard to find answers for my special questions. i searched with google hours after hours and some search results ended up in this forum!

i got a really nice looking SPA M10 in 5.5 and installed a huma regulator. its set to 50 bars - i know its very low but its not allowed to hunt here with air guns and im just doing target shooting up to ~50 yards / 50meters
    my results with a chrony 230m/s or 750 fps with 25 joule or 18 FPE

thats really nice and im ok with that BUT the gun is nealy as loud as beforce with NO Regulator. w/o reg it did 55 Joule or 40 FPE

i got some experience with my SPA PP700W (also with a huma reg.) and i figured out how to match reg. pressure with hammer force / spring tension. on this gun you got very easy access to the hammerspring and its fully adjustable.

can you guys give me some hints which next steps on the m10 could work or are just total bullshit ? i dont want to drill holes in the hammer for lower weight and after that nothing changed... you know what i mean ?

i read that are some guys out in SA who can tune the gun to my specific suggenstions... but i cant send the gun to SA
    Last edited by Thiel; 12-09-17 at 08:53.

REP: WS Airguns

User Info Menu

You will have to add a decent silencer/moderator to the rifle

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I agree with Wimpie, the SPA guns are very loud and difficult to quiet it down, you will need a silencer/moderator with a good internal volume for the air to expend.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi Thiel
    As these gentlemen already said the most effective way to get your rifle backyard friendly would be to fit a silincer, but I suspect that your rifle could be excessively loud due to the standard weight hammer and spring (assuming you still have the std parts fitted) with such a low regulated pressure that results in excessive valve dwell which wastes air and a very loud muzzle blast. If experimenting with hammer weight is out of the question I would suggest you increase the regulator pressure (this will counteract the heavy hammer to reduce dwell) and experiment with a spring with less tension or try using a short stiff spring that does not put tension on the hammer when it is touching the valve stem, the theory behind it is that it dissipates some of the energy while "coasting" under its own momentum and acts as a anti bounce hammer to some extent.
    There are no clearcut rules and you will have to experiment to get the desired results.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    /
    B.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi,
    thanks for the replys. I think you are totally right with the Silencer. im searching for a nice adapter because the barrel threats are not regulary 1/2" UNF.

Yesterday i put a piece of self-sticking felt on the valve (cutted out a hole for the valve pin) and the mechanical noise turned much down and 2 FPE are lost.
    thats because its ~4mm thick and im sure, the hammer cant stay the same time in contact with the valve pin as before or cant push it down so deep anymore (dont know whats the physical correct describtion )
    BUT that will not last forever or it will fall of after some time... did somebody mounted a counter spring ? i read alot about anti hammer bounce mod in generally about pcp rifles.

the regulator works really well! pellet speed starts dropping with 50 bars left on the rifles gauge and till 50 bars it was still shooting with 17FPE - i like that! the question is for me right now, what happens when i set the regulator higher on 100 bars ? the valve has then more counterspring to the hammer.. i guess there is no "golden" way to the Goal ??

i dont have a scuba tank or compressor and with a hand pump.. holy F***! so till now i have not shot a full string but im trying to do that soon. please place your bets on how many shots i well get!

i measured the stock hammer spring and im ordering some different springs for testing. shorter ones with spacers, with or w/o preload and so on. springs are really cheap here and easy to get AND easy to change on this rifle.

but maybe all the changes are making not much sense without a working silencer.
    Last edited by Thiel; 12-09-17 at 08:54.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thiel

I will definitely advice to have work done on the hammer. In most SPA guns that hammer is too ook heavy and thus need a heavy hammer spring. That in turn ask for too heavy a valve spring. I would advise to get someone to make a lighter hammer and balance the hammer and valve.

With a low reg pressure and hammer/valve out of wack you will still waste air and that in turn make the gun loud.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hello,
    i have some interessting news!

i modified the original silencer (i totally forgot to say that there is one, sorry)
    after that the noise is reduced about minimum 50% !! its a self adhesive high density felt (you can put in under the chair leg)
    im waiting for a adaptor 1/2" UNF Threat to mount the weihrauch silencer - i think its still better but we will see.

H&N Pellets getting damaged when loaded from the channel to the transerport. there is a sharp edge. the pellets are flying everywhere!!
    i tryied to improve and polish this edge but i don have the right tool here - waiting for it.
    JSB Pellets getting less damaged (softer lead - my theory) and just look at my target - fantastic score with the JSB!! (for me, im not a very experienced shooter)

gauge on rifle and reg. pressure (set to 50bar) are very identical - at 50bar the pellets start do drop. i can shot now ~40 shots with 18 FPE
    i was hoping for a higher shotcount but there are no changes to the hammerweight or the coilspring yet. i only installed a 3mm Transferport (5mm original) but there was not a big change only very slightly in fps.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

You are in the right direction, try, from the barrel side, washer, 2 spacers, washer and so on......intervals of washer and 2 spacers, that it will give more 'room' for the air/pressure to expand and the felt to damp the sound.

User Info Menu

Thread on the barrel is 14 mm by 1 pitch, so you can have a BIG silencer turned

User Info Menu

As Palbirds said, balancing the hammer and valve willmake a HUGE difference in air wastage as well as loudness. Will have to look at the TP size as well.

Marksman

User Info Menu

i did some more testing and the current setup:

huma regulator 50 bar
    3mm transferport (original 5mm)
    sharp edges removed in the breech so no more damaged pellets
    a piece of felt around the valve pin (have to change this to something more reliable but it works for now) this turned the power down and the hammerstriking is quit now.
    changed hammersprings but this had no big impact (maybe because im running only 50bars and did not changed the hammer weight)

the result is:
    70 shots
    19, 81 ft-lb
    813 fps
    with JSB 5.5 Jumbo RS

the biggest issue is the trigger. i found out, when pulled slowly, groups are getting good. when pulled REALLY slow, groups are getting nice!
    i guess thats nothing new for you but im learning every time when shooting with that gun.

User Info Menu

Good work!
    Take the trigger apart and polish all contack points to mirror finish this will help make the trigger smoother

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hello,
    last update:

its now 12ft/lb
    2mm transfer port
    50 Bar Regulator
    Shorter Hammer Spring, only Preloaded with 2 Discs / Shims for fine tuning
    shorter trigger "main" spring (big spring) result is shorter way to pull
    filed / grinded down the trigger sears a bit. point / area where these touching are smaller now. result is much less force needed to pull but its till safe.
    and of course everything polished

shooting now 10 yard groups with 0.2"
    need to wait for better weather for next testing.

and it went green not perfect but it was my first paint job on a stock.

overall: good rifle if you put some work in it. if you dont want to touch it, stay away and choose a higher priced rifle.

Last edited by Thiel; 14-12-17 at 13:47.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Pimp out M10 Jackel

Administrator

User Info Menu

@Stoney, I like that aerial/antenna windicator idea .