Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Field Target. What to get

Protea FT Team '12

User Info Menu

Default New to Field Target. What to get

Hi Guys,

I was re-introduced to Air rifles this week by a friend and I've been keen on starting with Field Target shooting. The wife gave the nod and I'm extatic.

I've got a Industry Brand QB 36-2 with a Gamo 4x32 scope on it. Can I start shooting FT with this? I'm not having much luck sighting setup in.

I really like all the PCP guns I've seen so far , is it worth it to change to this type of gun rather than a springer? If so , what do I need to get started?

Let the replying commence!!!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Jan thats hard to tell.

It all depends on you.I love my PCP , but they are not cheap. R10k is realy not enough money to start with the PCP side .

Springers are harder to shoot and you will not get the scores of the PCP guys.If you want to move into the sport slowly get a better scope and see how that goes.

It all depends on you and your budget !

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Now that is good advise....

Give your QB a minor tune. Once you get used to them, they are very accurate, and can out shoot a lot of springers that cost 3 times as much.

Where do you stay? If you are in Cape Town, I'll help you sort that rifle out.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Jan,

some advice from my side. Shoot some HFT (Hunter field target) for the 1st season before moving to FT. Get yourself a reliable accurate springer and 4-12x scope for this - preferably 2nd hand. It will create a more enjoyable environment for you and you dont need to fork out the $$. Another thing to remember is that time spent with a springer is worth it's weight in gold as it teaches you to shoot consistanly. As Allan said. PCP can become restrictive due to cost. I do however believe you can get away for less than 10k for your kit if you shop around.

2ndly it all depends how serious you are. I would not go out, if I were you, and go buy a R10+ rifle as you are not sure yet if you want to shoot national competitions. 1st astablish if you can shoot(no offense intended) and then secondly to what level you want to take this. You dont need an expensive gun to enjoy the sport, you also dont need an expensive gun to be compettitive but you may need an expensive gun to be at the top of the log in Field Target. All of this said. If you are new to shooting then I recon it wil take a while before you outshoot a medium priced rifle. The difference between a R6k rifle and R30k rifle is so small that only the elite notice it. 1st learn to enjoy the sport then decide if you want to shoot seriously. Get too serious in the beginning and it will become a chore.

Cheers

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Keep your eyes peeled to this forum as there are allot of good 2nd hand deals. If you decide on buying a PCP, you should budget +/- R10k for a startup rig which should incl a dive bottle for refilling. For FT, I would suggest keeping a lookout for an S400 or S200 if money is tight. HW and other well know and supported FT brands are all great rifles.

Protea FT Team '12

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice so far, It sounds like you guys know what you are talking about. I am staying in Bellville , Cape Town so Farmer , I would like to get in contact with you and see if we can tune the bugs out of the gun.

I grew up shooting Airguns from a young age. I've had good times shooting break-neck Diana's and Gecado's. I've also done some shooting in school for the cadet team. , but those were .22 rimfire target rifles. I do also have a slightly modified 9mm pistol that I enjoy shooting , but with all the laws , rules and regulations it's not that much fun anymore.

Recently I decided to buy myself an under lever rifle for casual shooting. This is the QB36-2 I have now. Maybe I should start by upgrading the sites first...

Only since I met Joe (j m)has the bug bit me to start shooting at a club/range with other like minded shooting entusiasts.

So thanks for the help so far and all still to come. I might pop in to the CAR event this Saterday just to "scope" out what FT and HFT is all about.

I must just ... those PCP's look mighty nice from where I'm sitting!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jan The Man View Post
    I must just ... those PCP's look mighty nice from where I'm sitting!
    Jan , They are all that you think they are and more.Just dont spend a lot of money to only regret it in a few months.

I hade a few springers and a few PCP's.Each have their own charm.If you want to shoot to compete you will do better with a pcp If you just want to have a good time with a few mates then the springer will do just fine.

Please do me 1 favour. Try before you buy.You get pro PCP guys and Pro Springer guys.Dont let anyone sway you .Try it for yourself.

User Info Menu

Allan is correct. I have had a few PCP's but just can't get myself to like them. Went through a truckload of springers as well... actually ( looking around) there are still a truckload full of cheap springers lying around here. Just can't seem to get rid of them.

I eventually settled for the HW77 as my all-rounder.

Jan, you are welcome to join us any weekend for a nice fun shoot.

http://all-about-airguns.co.za/gallery2.htm

Protea FT Team '12

User Info Menu

Farmer, is julle club naby daai aansluiting met die nuwe pad wat hulle nou gebou het vanaf Zewendal/Eikenbosch woonbuurt? Moet mens deur die Saxenburg industri?le area ry om daar uit te kom ?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The best advice as always is go along to a club and try as many rifles as possible before comitting your cash.

Regarding the QB36 - tuning may improve it, but realistically rifles such as the Weihrauch HW77/HW97 or the Air Arms TX200/HC are going to be far superior if you wish to go along the spring gun route.

With pcp rifles in terms of value for money the S400 is still probably the best bet in SA. Don't forget though when considering a pcp to factor in the cost of charging kit, whethjer bottle and gauge or pump as this will significantly add to your costs.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Jan, maak n draai by die CAR skiet saterdag. Jy sal sekerlik n groot verskeideneid gewere sien. Dit is by die wetton range. "Western province pistol range" glo ek is die regte naam. Daar is n kaart op www.capeairrifle.co.za Dit is jou beste bet. Lyk my jy wil teiken skiet. (het ook 5jaar op skool geskiet) Daar sal jy sien watter gewere wat kan doen. En as jy mooi vra sal die ouens jou sekerlik n skiet gee met hulle speelgoed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default kobuskok

Hey my name is Kobus and I logged on yesterday.
    So I`m also a NEWBIE.

I would also like to come and shoot on Saturday, I recently purchased a Gamo Shadow 1000. Which I enjoy very much. accept for the hard trigger.

Anyway can anyone tell me if the range is open every Saturday and when does it open and close.

How much does it cost

Thanks

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Hi Kobus. go to www.capeairrifle.co.za for details. shoots usually cost R35 for non members. Sight in opens at 9am and shoot starts at 10am. No the range is not open every saturday.Neighter of the Cape clubs, CAR and AAC have a home range so to speak. We go to many "exotic" places to have a shoot. This weekend happens to be at Wetton range due to impending bad weather.

User Info Menu

Jan, ons is reg oorkant daardie nuwe aansluitings pad.

Protea FT Team '12

User Info Menu

I did go to the CAR shoot on Saterday and really found it interresting to watch the people in action. I must say that on first look it didn't seem to difficult , but after following a pair of shooters (Joe and Curt , thanks guys) around for thier FT round , it became clear that there is quite a bit more to this FT shooting then one thinks.

What I did see was a wide variaty of rifles and scope combo's used. I even saw the same rifle as mine doing the rounds , but unfortunately didn't find out how his round went.

Farmer , as gevolg van die weer het ek toe maar eerder gaan kyk hoe die ouens skiet wat 'n dak oor het. Ek wil nog graag by julle ook uitkom en bietjie kom saam skiet en hoor wat te doene is om my QB36-2 bietjie te tune.