Thread: Barrel & Piston treatment

cjhs71's Avatar cjhs71

Default Barrel & Piston treatment

Is there some specific fluid for treating the inside of the barrel, as well as piston chamber and valve? I'm not interested in "dieseling", just ensuring long life time. For those not familiar with "dieseling": If a few drops of diesel or even some oils are dropped into the piston chamber, the high pressures of the piston firing causes the diesel to act in explosive manner. In addition to the wind force, this propels the pellet even faster out of the barrel. BUt it's likely to damage the valve sooner or later.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I used a moly based CV joint grease in my Hatsan mod 70, and moly based Wheel bearing Grease in a Hatsan Mod 50.No Dieseling occured but only time will tell.
    HINT: I use earbuds when cleaning my barrells, they fit perfectly in a .177 barrell.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Almost ALL springers above 500 fps uses oil (read dieseling) in the firing proses. To much can be a big problem. I fthe rifle gives of a small amount of smoke (light orange, not clouds of white ) you lubed the rifle in the righy manner. After lubing there will be smoke for the first 30 or so shots but then the rainclouds of smoke should dissapear.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I did notice that my Norica West used oil.However I read on the net (reputable Spring moder in the us - cant remember the site) They use Moly based Grease on the pistons and the spring and have recorded that the rifles where smoother and delivered "slightly" better groupings and "slightly less" recoil.However there is a slight drop in fps aswell.

Depending on the viscosity of the Grease used it could make a huge differance to fps.

One of the main chinese springer moders in the us recommends the following for Pistons :

Honda Moly 60 Paste
    Honda part number
    Moly 60 Paste
    Part Number 08734-0001

or

Russ Best lube

all that leather needs is silicone and neatsfoot oil. Oiled leather is very slick when slid against smooth steel. I doubt teflon would do anything to make it better. That said- the B-18/19 guns use synthetic seals and a teflon based lube would work quite nicely, provided it's mixed in with with a good inert base. I know of no such lube, so I made some up; and it works great.
    50% pure white submicron PTFE by volume, mixed into a synthetic grease base.

The Norica West has a leather seal and is oiled.
    The Hatsans have synthetic seals and Both hatsans are over 500 FPS and originally had grease in them.

anyway I reckon if you dont try something you will never know the outcome

just my 2 cents worth

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

My 2 cents....
    Moly grease very sparsely on the sides of the piston head [nothing in front] and on the spring guide and spring...anywhere basically where there is moving metal to metal contact. NO OIL...of any kind.
    If you can get some special JM tar from Maccari in the US it works like a dream at taking any twang out of springers....dont know of any local equivalent but have heard that it is the same as extra heavy gear grease???? It is applied very sparsely to the outside surface of the spring only!!!

Try lubing the pellets with Pledge Wax furniture spray. Pour a full tin of pellets onto a cloth, spray wax and roll them around . Works for PCPs too...
    Comes in different flavours...Jasmine is the most accurate but Pine has the best long range velocity retention....also confuses the targeted vermins since they cannot smell the hunter .

Later

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This is now becoming clear as mud! On the one hand you have those saying "No lubrication" and on the other all kinds of stuff being used. Seems like you need to experiment to find something that works for you. Must confess, it is a bit confusing to a "rookie" like me...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

no such thing as no lubrication....
    a little oil can be used on pivot points, hinges , trigger etc...but NONE in the air chamber

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Sorry for my reply with " oil". NO oil must go in the engin room(spring housing) but a grease of some sort is required for smooth operation. Some work a lot better than others. On every shot the rifle use some of the grease(oil mixed with a binder) . With to much grease you will get an extreme spread in velocity (not accurate).
    As for lubing of pellets it is a must. Every shot is keeping the barrel clean and it improves accuracy. Guido's Pledge formula works very well (haven't experimented with the differant aromas yet!) and is more economical than Napier.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

what about clening the barrel with a rod...or is this not necessary. They sold me a cleaning kit for the Hunter 1250, but i don't know if the attachement to the rod should be a type of metal brush like for rifles..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The Gamo barrel cleaning kit uses a nylon brush, and there is also a loop attachment that you can use for pulling through bits of cloth to clean out the barrel. Neither method should do the barrel any harm.

I had to use the brush and a lot of elbow grease and a potent chemical degareaser to get all of the factory muck out of the barrel of my Hatsan, it made a huge difference to the accuracy. The blobs of grease were so pronouced that they looked like rust pitting in the barrel.

Once the barrel has had all of the factory gunk cleaned out and you use decent lubed pellets you shouldn't really need to clean it again.

I also use molybdenum disulphide based grease on the piston and a light coating on the spring and spring guides, I get a little bit of dieseling but my groupings are satisfactory, better than I can shoot at the moment.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Guido,
    I asked you nicely: If you find any red-capped-white-polkadot mushrooms on the mountain, then lemme know. Now he's gone and had them all by himself. Tch-tch-tch, selfish...

But, seriously, his "I Pledge my allegiance to my pellets" trick works naaicely.

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Guido you funny man you

"Try lubing the pellets with Pledge Wax furniture spray. Pour a full tin of pellets onto a cloth, spray wax and roll them around . Works for PCPs too...
    Comes in different flavours...Jasmine is the most accurate but Pine has the best long range velocity retention....also confuses the targeted vermins since they cannot smell the hunter ."

Well I supose we cover ourselves in camo and spray all kinds of coversents on us, so why not our pellets, after all the way I shoot hopefully the first miss the Mhyna mite just think he was passed by a pine tree late for work at the mill! I mite even get a follow up shot or two! The Jasmine mite work better as an atractant for Mhynas?? They could just fly into the pellet, it would stop all this aiming nonsense!! !lol :jester