Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter kit suggestions

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Starter kit suggestions

I am new to this air gun thing and I am looking for some advice.

I have about R4000 to spend on a rifle. I am not precious about new or second hand. I already have a Hawke vantage scope.

My research so far has pushed me towards a fixed barrel rather than a break barrel and my budget does not allow for a pcp. But I am most certainly open for all suggestions.

What would you suggest.

Thanks
    Q

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Advice distilled to what you need to know....

Buy Dookie's LGU... Get some more cash and do it. The LGU has just won the springer world FT title!

Blowing R4K on rubbish (B-grade downwards) means that you will have to raise R6.5K to upgrade.

Don't buy a B-grade gun. All the competent guys that could mod the gun for you (at a price) are either dead or sailing boats instead of tuning airguns. You will sit with an unsaleable dog for the rest of your life.

We will also have to change your name to Quinny!

The Bludster has spoken.

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

All springers are made in hell and that is a proven fact. Stay away from them, they will only break your spirit. If you can't afford a CZ200 or S400 then rather buy something like a QB78/9. It is as accurate as any springer and so much more fun to shoot, just lots cheaper. Then save for a proper pcp. That is where you will end eventually, if you like it or not.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Springers Rule , much less hassle than PCP's , but are somewhat harder to shoot accurately if you are just starting , but they do deliver the goods.

Save up a bit more money and buy a good one from the start if you can , it is worth it , just try not to catch "magnumitus".

I will however concede that a cheaper springer (if this is all that you can afford) , will often perform superbly------it depends on the luck of the draw and your ability to shoot.

Fixed , or Breakbarrel ??? , buy whatever you fancy , both styles are good , intrinsic accuracy is equal.

Good luck with your quest.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

SAve and buy a decent rifle. springer or pcp

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I know about a very nice under lever, ready to shoot and accurate. Just needs a bag and pellets, perfect for your budget. Contact Jaco 0817826918. It is a gas rammed CFX Royal with a beautiful stock in mint condition. Shot it myself and it's very accurate for a Gamo.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AYOBA! View Post
    I know about a very nice under lever, ready to shoot and accurate. Just needs a bag and pellets, perfect for your budget. Contact Jaco 0817826918. It is a gas rammed CFX Royal with a beautiful stock in mint condition. Shot it myself and it's very accurate for a Gamo.

Excellent rifle to start with

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    Excellent rifle to start with
    Looks like the luck of the draw, hits spinner targets at 21 meters easily. Used 8.44 JSB 4.53

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Advice distilled to what you need to know....

Buy Dookie's LGU... Get some more cash and do it. The LGU has just won the springer world FT title!

Blowing R4K on rubbish (B-grade downwards) means that you will have to raise R6.5K to upgrade.

Don't buy a B-grade gun. All the competent guys that could mod the gun for you (at a price) are either dead or sailing boats instead of tuning airguns. You will sit with an unsaleable dog for the rest of your life.

We will also have to change your name to Quinny!

The Bludster has spoken.
    This is good solid advice.
    I know the K@K feeling of being told to save up more to get something when the cash is in your pocket and you can get a second choice.
    I didn't take Blud and the other older members advice when I joined and I've blown thousands on polishing turds.
    Two of my favorite rifles that I have ever owned are both springers. I actually get sad thinking about how I let them go. The one was an LGU.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a cz 200 s the one piece stock version you can have for 4 k with the silencer and 10 shot magazine system

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
    I have a cz 200 s the one piece stock version you can have for 4 k with the silencer and 10 shot magazine system
    PM sent. First option please.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Blowing R4K on rubbish (B-grade downwards) means that you will have to raise R6.5K to upgrade. Don't buy a B-grade gun.

All the competent guys that could mod the gun for you (at a price) are either dead or sailing boats instead of tuning airguns.

You will sit with an unsaleable dog for the rest of your life.
    Good advice.

Whilst some of the lower grade guns can be modified, they are still second rate and if you go this route and wish to upgrade you are unlikely to get your investment in them back.

It is worth saving the extra and getting quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    All springers are made in hell and that is a proven fact. Stay away from them, they will only break your spirit.
    There's an old saying about bad workmen blaming the tools.....................

A springer takes more effort to shoot well, but, once you master it they are very satisfying, plus they don't rely on an external source of compressed air.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Good advice.

Whilst some of the lower grade guns can be modified, they are still second rate and if you go this route and wish to upgrade you are unlikely to get your investment in them back.

It is worth saving the extra and getting quality.

There's an old saying about bad workmen blaming the tools.....................

A springer takes more effort to shoot well, but, once you master it they are very satisfying, plus they don't rely on an external source of compressed air.

Dale... Cor had a bad experience. Think Linda Blair...possession...exorcism...green vomit...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hey Squint. No one ever asks. What do you intend to use the rifle for? Shooting beer cans while you braai? Hunting potatoes in the fields or preparing yourself for the winter Olympics.

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crab View Post
    Hey Squint. No one ever asks. What do you intend to use the rifle for? Shooting beer cans while you braai? Hunting potatoes in the fields or preparing yourself for the winter Olympics.
    With a R4000 budget? Plinking of coarse...