Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Starter kit suggestions

  1. #1
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Default Starter kit suggestions

    I am new to this air gun thing and I am looking for some advice.

    I have about R4000 to spend on a rifle. I am not precious about new or second hand. I already have a Hawke vantage scope.

    My research so far has pushed me towards a fixed barrel rather than a break barrel and my budget does not allow for a pcp. But I am most certainly open for all suggestions.

    What would you suggest.

    Thanks
    Q
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  2. #2
    Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Advice distilled to what you need to know....

    Buy Dookie's LGU... Get some more cash and do it. The LGU has just won the springer world FT title!

    Blowing R4K on rubbish (B-grade downwards) means that you will have to raise R6.5K to upgrade.

    Don't buy a B-grade gun. All the competent guys that could mod the gun for you (at a price) are either dead or sailing boats instead of tuning airguns. You will sit with an unsaleable dog for the rest of your life.

    We will also have to change your name to Quinny!

    The Bludster has spoken.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  3. #3
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    All springers are made in hell and that is a proven fact. Stay away from them, they will only break your spirit. If you can't afford a CZ200 or S400 then rather buy something like a QB78/9. It is as accurate as any springer and so much more fun to shoot, just lots cheaper. Then save for a proper pcp. That is where you will end eventually, if you like it or not.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  4. #4
    Sharp Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Springers Rule , much less hassle than PCP's , but are somewhat harder to shoot accurately if you are just starting , but they do deliver the goods.

    Save up a bit more money and buy a good one from the start if you can , it is worth it , just try not to catch "magnumitus".

    I will however concede that a cheaper springer (if this is all that you can afford) , will often perform superbly------it depends on the luck of the draw and your ability to shoot.

    Fixed , or Breakbarrel ??? , buy whatever you fancy , both styles are good , intrinsic accuracy is equal.

    Good luck with your quest.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  5. #5
    Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

    User Info Menu

    Default

    SAve and buy a decent rifle. springer or pcp
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  6. #6
    The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I know about a very nice under lever, ready to shoot and accurate. Just needs a bag and pellets, perfect for your budget. Contact Jaco 0817826918. It is a gas rammed CFX Royal with a beautiful stock in mint condition. Shot it myself and it's very accurate for a Gamo.


    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  7. #7
    Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AYOBA! View Post
    I know about a very nice under lever, ready to shoot and accurate. Just needs a bag and pellets, perfect for your budget. Contact Jaco 0817826918. It is a gas rammed CFX Royal with a beautiful stock in mint condition. Shot it myself and it's very accurate for a Gamo.


    Excellent rifle to start with
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  8. #8
    The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    Excellent rifle to start with
    Looks like the luck of the draw, hits spinner targets at 21 meters easily. Used 8.44 JSB 4.53
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  9. #9
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Advice distilled to what you need to know....

    Buy Dookie's LGU... Get some more cash and do it. The LGU has just won the springer world FT title!

    Blowing R4K on rubbish (B-grade downwards) means that you will have to raise R6.5K to upgrade.

    Don't buy a B-grade gun. All the competent guys that could mod the gun for you (at a price) are either dead or sailing boats instead of tuning airguns. You will sit with an unsaleable dog for the rest of your life.

    We will also have to change your name to Quinny!

    The Bludster has spoken.
    This is good solid advice.
    I know the K@K feeling of being told to save up more to get something when the cash is in your pocket and you can get a second choice.
    I didn't take Blud and the other older members advice when I joined and I've blown thousands on polishing turds.
    Two of my favorite rifles that I have ever owned are both springers. I actually get sad thinking about how I let them go. The one was an LGU.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  10. #10
    Sharp Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I have a cz 200 s the one piece stock version you can have for 4 k with the silencer and 10 shot magazine system
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  11. #11
    Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
    I have a cz 200 s the one piece stock version you can have for 4 k with the silencer and 10 shot magazine system
    PM sent. First option please.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  12. #12
    Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Blowing R4K on rubbish (B-grade downwards) means that you will have to raise R6.5K to upgrade. Don't buy a B-grade gun.

    All the competent guys that could mod the gun for you (at a price) are either dead or sailing boats instead of tuning airguns.

    You will sit with an unsaleable dog for the rest of your life.
    Good advice.

    Whilst some of the lower grade guns can be modified, they are still second rate and if you go this route and wish to upgrade you are unlikely to get your investment in them back.

    It is worth saving the extra and getting quality.



    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    All springers are made in hell and that is a proven fact. Stay away from them, they will only break your spirit.
    There's an old saying about bad workmen blaming the tools.....................

    A springer takes more effort to shoot well, but, once you master it they are very satisfying, plus they don't rely on an external source of compressed air.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  13. #13
    Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Good advice.

    Whilst some of the lower grade guns can be modified, they are still second rate and if you go this route and wish to upgrade you are unlikely to get your investment in them back.

    It is worth saving the extra and getting quality.





    There's an old saying about bad workmen blaming the tools.....................

    A springer takes more effort to shoot well, but, once you master it they are very satisfying, plus they don't rely on an external source of compressed air.

    Dale... Cor had a bad experience. Think Linda Blair...possession...exorcism...green vomit...
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  14. #14
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Hey Squint. No one ever asks. What do you intend to use the rifle for? Shooting beer cans while you braai? Hunting potatoes in the fields or preparing yourself for the winter Olympics.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  15. #15
    The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crab View Post
    Hey Squint. No one ever asks. What do you intend to use the rifle for? Shooting beer cans while you braai? Hunting potatoes in the fields or preparing yourself for the winter Olympics.
    With a R4000 budget? Plinking of coarse...
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

Similar Threads

  1. Starter Field Target kit
    By Chris in forum General Airgun Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 24-08-05, 08:07
  2. Field Target starter kit........
    By urabus in forum General Airgun Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-11-04, 23:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •