Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolutionary Barrel design

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Revolutionary Barrel design

Has anyone else seen the article in June issue of Airgun World regarding Ben Taylors new barrel designs. Could be a major breakthrough. Not pellet fussy and much more efficient, and more importantly cheaper to make...
    Will scan and post when I get time later today.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

cooool

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Where can I buy the Airgun World magazine? I have scouted every CNA and founf nothing

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have read some comments on the BBS and funny enough I read an article in the magnum of this concept being used in rifles. They used this concept have a rifle that accuretly shoot slugs out to 100yards and still gave good shot patterning when used as a shotgun.

For those that don't know. The barrel has a smooth bore and only the last few inches has rifling. The barrel is apparently more accurate and efficient.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

sounds most interesting..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Where can I buy the Airgun World magazine? I have scouted every CNA and founf nothing
    Not sure in JHB. I have a standing order with CNA. They keep me a copy and I just collect when I am in the area.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thats not a new barrel design- Holland and Holland come up with the idea in the late 1800's its called the Parodox- really orginaly was meant to shoot shotgun and rifle cartridges out of the same rifle -problem was it didnt do either exeptionaly well-but it was good enough for most. So It will be very inetresting to see what it does too airguns

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I think because of the shape of normal pellets it is going to be more accurate out of a smooth bore than a slug or round ball out of the same barrel, but if this design will catch on we will just have to wait and see.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I always thought it would be benificial to have the pellet slowly increase revolutions when being fired. ie increasing the rate of rotation of grooves in the barrel as to accelerate the pellet rotation as it is moving down the barrel. where as now I am sure some of the pellet gets sheered off as the rotation is at max from the word go. Maybe the boffs can help with that one?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

remember JT the pellet does achieve its speed instantly, it "slowly" gains speed which in turn means the rpm of the pellet also increases proportional to its speed when it is still in the barrel.

In this new design it is however going to "hit" the rifling.....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

But isnt the first couple of cm's of the rifling gonna get clogged up because the pellet will not instantaneasly start spinning when it hit the rifling, it will continue with its initial momentum without the rotation then only start spinning bit by bit.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I doubt we will see any change in rifling design in the top end rifles. Maybe as a cost saver in entry level. Well maybe ill eat my words....but I recon Ill stand by thst

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I have to aggree with Airking. enurtia again.. I here you Arnold, that the pellet accelerates from stop, but that is fairly instant. and some on the pellet must get chewed off on the rifling. Has there ever been a barrel with increasing rotation of the rifling?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Saw the article couple months back when i was in UK yes this is truly an amazing invention by Ben Taylor. To reply to another post that said it is not new thats wrong it is differant from the parradox guns of holland and others in that the barrel rifling is pressed on the outside of the barrel maybe 3 inches or so, this creates waves almost so for all purposses a smooth-bore, Some other benefits are these barrels are not pellet sensative they are also very effecient useing less air for same velocity, also tested against match grade barrel they proved more accurate.Ben Taylor is very astute fellow and wont bring something in that is not tried and tested, he has taken patents out on this design,truly an airgun genius.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Robinson View Post
    Saw the article couple months back when i was in UK yes this is truly an amazing invention by Ben Taylor. To reply to another post that said it is not new thats wrong it is differant from the parradox guns of holland and others in that the barrel rifling is pressed on the outside of the barrel maybe 3 inches or so, this creates waves almost so for all purposses a smooth-bore, Some other benefits are these barrels are not pellet sensative they are also very effecient useing less air for same velocity, also tested against match grade barrel they proved more accurate.Ben Taylor is very astute fellow and wont bring something in that is not tried and tested, he has taken patents out on this design,truly an airgun genius.
    I agree