Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washing Pellets

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Washing Pellets

Do you guys wash your pellets, and if so how do you do it?

Do you just use soap and water, or do you actually use a physical method as well eg brushing with a soft brush etc.

Gerrief - I've heard that your Accupels look like pieces of chrome - is that true? How do you get them that clean?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

gerriefs told me that he just rinses them in a jar full of benzine.
    Although I personally think he sticks them on a toothpick and attacks them with a toothbrush and Brasso.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i believe the trick is benzene

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

meths works for Crosman premiers and Accupels.
    JSBs and H&N are squeaky clean and require no cleaning whatsoever

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Don't forget that Gerrie also wipe, or should I say polish, each pellet with a lint free cloth.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guys,
    Being a animal lover, not a bunny hugger, I don't want anything I happen to shoot, but don't kill, not beacause I dont want to, but because I shoot so up to...die of lead poisoning. (Hope this sentence makes sense to you as it doesn't quite make sense to me)
    I mostly leave the a tin of pellets in the benzine over night or for a few hours at least. When all the gungk has settlet at the bottom of the bottle I slowly pour it out into another bottle, leaving as much as possible of the black junk behind on the bottle's side. I put the pellets onto/into a piece of clean mutton cloth and LIGHTLY dry it between my hand by shaking and LIGHTLY rubbing it untill it is clean and dry. The cloth will be black. I keep on doing this until the cloth comes away clean. I then sort it and start brushing it one by one with a shoft brush and anibiotics to make sure it is safe to put my mouth for shooting and for wounding unexpecting quarry. Then hand weight each one and discard any defects that very seldom accure. I send the buggered ones back to the factory to be turned into all the crap some of you shoot with. hahahahaha :beer:

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

once tried to wash some AA's, made no diff, the things are spotless. don't mind paying a bit more for quality, hell, maybe they are not all the more expensive, once you've sorted the accucraps you're only left with about 300 in a tin which works out to the same price as AA's, excluding all the cash and time you have spent on benzene and washing. Just a though,

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Think I'll go back to AA

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

That is why I'm always broke, I suppose!. Was just thinking. I spend more time washing pellets and getting rid of the unlikely runts, because it counts when I shoot, I often hit the silhouette of the target, at least, but I don't polish my rifle habitually. Same time less money spent on preparation. :beer:

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

Gerrie will always be known a ledgend for his SHINING pellets.....

By the way gerrie, you know i smaark those pellets too hey... if i didnt hunt as often as i do, id be using accupells.... The AA just give me a touch more penetration with the weight....

shiny shiny shiny....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I shoot Accupells, with good performance, but if I have to be honest, I do get better performance from the AA FT's (Avion jumping up and down by now). Point is that it's a very small difference, but also have to admit that the Accupells are more work ...

There Avion, happy ? :beer:

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Neilg.
    I know Avion phoned you to say that. What I don't know is how many tins of AA he gave you to do it. The drying, cleaning and sorting takes about ten minutes only. AccuPells are so consistant that when I weight 500 it comes in at 3948.95gr. What more do you want? Go back to the pellet you know will perform.
    Jason,
    How much more does AA penetrate into what? AFA I know it flies right through a pigeon at 40 yards, out of my rifle, bends a 243 doppie double at 50,takes the percussion cap out of a shot gun shell at 50. :shoot: !amazed

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

Gerrie, the tests ive done are scary, AA penetrate well for a 8.4 grain pellet...

from the test i did, the air arms penetrated about a third more...
    I just like the edge for hunting, i.e. going for dassie's. would be a bit worried with accupells....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Neilg," There Avion, happy ?"

The way my days been this is the highlight.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

How can you say that? You got a new toy!