Thread: Weihrauch springer internals

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Weihrauch springer internals

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question?
    Anyways, I opened up my HW80 today because it's been dieseling badly since I got it a few days ago and thought I'd clean out the cylinder and piston seal. Now don't get me wrong, I like the rifle, but in comparison to the LGV that I have the insides were in a state. There was rust inside of the gun(along the spring guide and a lot on the end cap), grease everywhere and it just reeked of shoddy workmanship.
    I have a kit coming my way from the UK with a new spring guide to replace the steel spring guide which is also totally loose inside of the spring. I was impressed to see that the piston was sleeved, and I like the trigger mechanism.
    I just wondered if any of you guys have experienced the same or if I got a lemon?
    After today I think I'll be ordering the V Mach kit for the 80 along with potentially taking the piston to a friend who has a lathe to button the piston.
    I'd like to get it shooting as accurately as possible.
    If you guys have any experience and can make recommendations as to what would benefit the rifle most I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

They all come like that from the factory

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I don't know if your gun was new but...

I have opened a number of different springers and to be honest, they are all the same.

I have seen new guns with rust inside that you would think have been neglected.

If Vincent were still around, he would share horror stories that would make your nuts withdraw.

If Sinjin visits, I am sure he can relate stories too.

All it takes to remedy is a good lube tune by a competent person.

You have a number down there in the Cape.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi,

Yes, I got the gun new, but I think it was old stock from Rosenthals. I was just shocked to see the state of it because I was expecting to find what I found inside my LGV or even better seeing as the rifle cost twice as much. I have ordered a new spring guide which is turned from acetal as well as a top hat and spacer. I plan on using some high content moly lube inside the gun and polishing the piston with polishing compound, deburring the spring ends etc. I was considering buttoning the piston, but I think I will leave it be for now. I really need a chrony to actually see if my tuning is helping or not though... The rifle should perform way better with the simple addition of a spring guide that does not allow as much play as the current one and a proper lube. The spring guide is literally loose inside of the spring...
    I plan on putting in a plastic PTFE piston sleeve, so if you guys know where I can source that plastic that would be great info.
    The tuning kit I got was from Tinbum tuning in the UK and only cost R500 including postage. Will write a report when I've spent some time with it in if you guys are interested.
    My number is OH84619699THREE. I'd love to get this gun shooting like my LGV. May be a pipe dream, but I'm going to try!
    Thanks for the input.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

Mike I would suggest you take your rifle to JacoWP. he can tune your rifle and make any guides/tophats/ buttons/ barrel crowns,shortening even bespoke silencers that you would like.
    he has done some very nice work on my springers.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikebooysen View Post
    I plan on putting in a plastic PTFE piston sleeve, so if you guys know where I can source that plastic that would be great info.
    I wouldn't bother doing that, leave the factory steel piston sleeve in place and just rely on the properly fitting guide and top hat to control the spring.

Synthetic sleeves are not going to last.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for the input! I spent the day polishing and cleaning every part of the rifle. Piston looks like a mirror, trigger is insanely good. I adjusted the trigger so it breaks just at the start of the second stage. I'm hoping it will give almost a surprise shot - obviously a controlled surprise shot! This is a technique used by many archers to prevent whats called target panic where you pull the shot off. I think this rifle will turn out well. The amount of dirt and grease I got out of it was insane.
    I'll make contact with JacoWP once I've got it all set up and see what he thinks about it.
    Thanks for the advice regarding the PTFE sleeve. I put a plastic sleeve in the LGV which made it unbelievably quiet and smooth. I'll take it out and replace it with a steel one soon.
    Thanks again for the input!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I PTFE sleeved my HW77 and won't look at any other sleeve material again. I'd rather replace when necessary, but it works a charm!
    Standard HW piston seal is very good. I won't bother with replacing it.
    Standard HW springs fail... At some time in their lives. Especially prone to first 2x coils snapping off and then you don't really notice there's an issue except for the drop off in fps.
    The Tinbum Tuning kit is great, coupled with a new Titan XS spring. And then the piston sleeve.
    Put the whole lot together with minimal high moly grease and you should hav an awesome shooting HW

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi Fucius,

Thanks for the tips. I must say, the plastic sleeve does quieten down the rifle a lot. Where did you get PTFE plastic from if you don't mind me asking? I'm using some thick plastic I found around the house at the moment... Very excited to put it all back together. Just waiting on the kit to arrive with the Moly. Everything has been polished in it's glory! Cleanest rifle in SA! Haha!
    How is your 77 treating you?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi Fucius,

I've just ordered a Titan XS No.2 Spring for the HW80. I did some research, and I found that this spring is 11.5 inches long, as opposed to the stock 10 inch spring I just took out. It seems that the stock spring puts out about 16 FPE in 5mm Calibre, and the Titan spring should put out roughly 20 FPE? Is this correct, and how have you found the rifle to perform with this bigger spring inside of it?
    I've read a few forums regarding upgrading the rifle, and the consensus seems to be that around 18-21 FPE this rifle performs at it's best due to the large swept volume of the chamber. What difference did you feel? The Titan spring seems like a great upgrade, so thanks for the heads up.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Actually I've not used the Titan spring as-is. I've collapsed and re-squared it. So with new Tinbum top hat and guide the overall length is actually just a tad shorter than the original setup. The HW77 is a 26mm tube inner diameter if I remember correctly.
    With 11.5gr H&N FTT 5.0mm pellets the rifle is doing around 14FPE.
    This is where I wanted it. Smooth, low recoil, quiet, yet slightly more potent than a normal 0.177cal rifle.
    The PTFE sleeve I bought from a local fellow shooter. No idea where he ordered from, but it's not cheap.
    In my rifle I could only get the 0.5mm gauge PTFE film in. Thicker was just too thick to fit.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. Cool, I will try the spring as is and see how it performs. I don't really need 20FPE, and would rather have a 17-18FPE setup that is shooting well. I'll try and source some real PTFE here on the forum, or do some research as to where I can find it.
    Will let you know what the results are like!