Thread: scuba cilinder

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default scuba cilinder

i bought a 12L cilinder from a guy about 2 months back for R1000, the cilinder belongs to the diving school/club, and this guy owns the school. anyway the cilinder i was suposed to get was in pe for testing, so he lent me one of the clubs cilinders, also a 12L. So today he phones me and says the cilinder that was in pe failed the test, and that i should give back the cilinder and hel refund me, or i must give it back give him R500 more and i can have a 10L steel cilinder.

his a#se, if he thinks im giving that cilinder back and paying more for a smaller one hes seriously mistaken.

am i being irational, or criminal?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Cut your ties, give him back his cyl and buy another one, just imagine if you did get the bottle and it failed while you had it

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Did you buy the cylinder with any guarentees ?
    Yes, you must give back his cylinder he borrowed you.
    Is the 10L not new ? (the reason for being more expensive)
    Who failed the cylinder ? What was wrong with it ? Is it an alu cylinder ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Word of advice, take your money back !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

that wasnt our deal, i bought a 12L alu cilinder from him, the one he lent me is the same thing. iv had it for 2 months. the 10L is steel 2nd hand, and now he wants R500 more. sounds dodge to me, besides it wasnt my fault his cilinder faild the test, he never said anything about what the deal was if the cilinder failed.
    i didnt eavin touch the one that faild the test, so thats not my problem at all, as far as im concerned i have what i paid for.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I would give it back and take my money somewhere else

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Get your money back and enter to a new transaction with him or someone else if you prefer. Couple of things to note when buying a used scuba tank.

The max lifespan of most cylinders is 25 yrs (5-6 hydros). Ave lifespan is 5 - 25 yrs depending on usage. Always check the stamp date of the first hydro as this will reveal its age. I have seen allot of used dive dive tanks selling approx R1500 that date back to the late 80's or early 90's meaning they only have 1 or 2 hydros left before decommissioning. A brand new 300 bar tank costs approx R 2500 and a 200-232 bar around R2000, sometime less. I personally feel it is fair to subtract 20% of the new value of the bottle per hydro in age. In this case it would be fair to pay R800 - R1000 max for a 300 bar that is 15yrs old.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I m also not to impressed with that guy Airsniper he told me he's got a 232 bar tank new for R1500 i travel to his place then he changes his mind.

Then out of the blue he wants R2000,
    non negoitable, for it and tells me its 3 years old .

Now im sitting with a danm gauge worth a R1000 and no tank
    This sort of thing is typical in East-London

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

get the 1000 bucks back and get a new one, the 230bar steel tanks new are about 1800 upwards in JHB, seems cheaper in JHB than down at the coast - Wierd!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

For a new 12lr tank i was quoted R3500 upwards by the same guy.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Bought my 300Bar 10L Brand new Scuba Scene in centurion for 2900 and very happy with it.

I did look around for second hand for a while but run into too many schmucks out ther trying to sell you crap for a lot of money so I bought new.

This will last 25 Years = R116 a year and BS from second hand sellers that is cheap in my book.

Just my 2c

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

"Bought my 300Bar 10L Brand new Scuba Scene in centurion for 2900 and very happy with it.

I did look around for second hand for a while but run into too many schmucks out ther trying to sell you crap for a lot of money so I bought new.

This will last 25 Years = R116 a year and NO BS from second hand sellers that is cheap in my book.

Just my 2c"

Put my foot in my mouth with the previous post

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Okay, you 2 east london guys

I have 2 second hand allies for you guys, both 12L
    R 700 each, plus tests (and they will both pass), both must get hydro plus visual test, will work out to about R 900-1000 each after tests.

If you are interested let me know
    Courier is really not an option, they are just too heavy to courier, makes them expensive.

New tanks are expensive in PE

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

contact details
    neilg@telkomsa.net

I have other cylinders aswell, will take pics and post with prices

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Take your buc's back, and don't deal with him anymore. A guy like that would sell you crap, just to make a buc out of you.