Thread: 3 Springer questions please!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default 3 Springer questions please!

3 Springer questions please! .

What is the general distance to zero a scope? Planning to shoot whatever you are allowed to enter a springer? .

How do you select the correct ammo (pellets) for your gun that will give you overall performance up to 50m?

Is a silencer really sound effective on a springer. In other word if you are 10 or 20 meters away does it muffled the sound? If the answer is yes what is the general overall length of a silencer. What is the most useful type, screw on or clamp on. If the calibre is 4,5 and the silencer is build for 5.5 would it make a difference?
    Last edited by BigJohnx13; 11-10-17 at 19:46.
    Air Rifle SA Forums Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

1 For competition, I zero mine at 25m

2. Don't bother experimenting. If you had to ask what ammo to use, everyone, barring some strange, offbeat imbeciles will shout in chorus 'JSB 4.53 or 4.52'

3. Yes and no. Mostly, it is mechanical noise you hear through your skull. There is also a distinctive sound of the pellet smacking its target. IMO, there is no real benefit on a springer. All you will do is turn the gun into a broomstick.

Cor
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air

Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

1. 25M
    2. JSB 8.4gr
    3. No

Springer FT World Champion '09
    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    1. 25M
    2. JSB 8.4gr
    3. No

I see still tall, fat and silent, bigboy? A man of few words! I still love you!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

May I differ on point 3.

The mechanical noise from springers dissipates rapidly with increased distance. The report from the sudden pressure drop at muzzle exit, however, is audible over a much longer distance.
    For inherent quiet springers, a silencer does indeed make a difference.
    A Tula silencer on my LGV removed the muzzle report almost completely. Significant difference with/without silencer. From clearly audible to almost completely silent from 20m away.
    I now shoot my LGV in my backyard with the same comfort as a PCP.

My 2c.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '15

User Info Menu

The most noise from a springer comes from the internals. If the internals are a good fit,like the LGV/LGU rifles then a silencer makes a huge difference. My LGV was pcp silent.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

1. 25M
    2. JSB 8.4gr (4.52)
    3. Weet nie/gee nie om nie - dit is n windbuks

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
    The most noise from a springer comes from the internals. If the internals are a good fit,like the LGV/LGU rifles then a silencer makes a huge difference. My LGV was pcp silent.
    +1...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Totally agree on the Walther LGV.s

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I also strongly disagree that a silencer does not work on a springer.

Silencers if they are of good quality are very effective on Springers , the mechanical noises of the rifle do not carry nearly as far as the noise from the muzzle blast.

I agree wholeheartedly with Kettieklip and Mr H.

Cheers.

DSF
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Distance: 25-30m but it really comes down to what distance you will be shooting MOST of the time.
    Pellets: JSB's is the best choice but do experiment with other good brands like H&N etc. to see what your rifle likes best, it is after all part of the fun in shooting is'nt it?
    Silencer: Makes a difference on my gentle LGV Comp Ultra, makes no difference on my rather aggressive Walther Century though.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Agree with the silencer on an LGV... Weirauch silencer on my LGV made it quieter at 20m than my Gunpower steath PCP with a tin can silencer

So it depends on the springer and the silencer... Cheap Gamo with 'built-in' suppressor (which isn't much of a silencer) and running really hot will be LOUD...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Regarding the sight in. Get a chronograph and measure the velocity of the pellet leaving the barrel. it is usually about 800ft/sec. Then measure the distance between the scope (centre of line of sight) and the centre of the barrel. Now punch in the info into one of those on-line ballistic calculators and see what your pellet is going to do at various distances. Then take the theoretical printout to the range and shoot a group at 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50m. Capare the theoretical estimate with real groupings. Its a good exercise to understand the limitations of your gun. For example, I sight in at 20m. The pellet is low at 10m, on target at 20m, a bit high at 25m and then back on target at 30m. At 40 it drops a few cm and at 50m I'm off target, about 10cm low. Its also scary how the groups open up with distance. If your group size doubles between 10 and 20m and then again at 40m, you are doing very well!