Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gecado Model-27

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Gecado Model-27

So I bought this old springer for R1200.00 and it came home today
    What do you guys think ?
    What kind of speeds does this reach fps ?
    What is the most accurate pellets to use with this ? I'm still used to the old Marksman
    Safari & Outdoor sold me Cobra 0,56g (8,60gr) is this the best ? (most accurate)
    I also did get a 4 x 32 scope with (see attached pic)
    I want to put up the scope but needs some rings, where can I get ?

Regards
    Ras

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Xtream Airguns
    Forum name: pelletstacker
    Contact/s: Jaco & Jacques
    Address: 187 Edison Crescent, Unit 9, Eldorado Park 2, Hennopspark, Centurion
    Phone/s: +2782 789 5865 | +2781 7826918
    Email: xtreamairguns@gmail.com
    Services: Springer and PCP rifle tuning and servicing. Air rifle sales and accessories
    Agents for:
    Distributors of: JKHan | SPA Artemis | Weihrauch | Walther | Crosman
    Retailer of: Air Rifles and accessories
    Opening hours: 8:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi Lourens welcome to the hobby, I have a Diana 25 which is happy with Marksman pellets, you will find suitable scope mounting rings at S & O or try a wanted ad..
    I have tested a friends Gecado 27 which averaged about 500 fps using Gamo Pro Hunter 7.56 gn pellets.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Hi Lourens welcome to the hobby, I have a Diana 25 which is happy with Marksman pellets, you will find suitable scope mounting rings at S & O or try a wanted ad..
    I have tested a friends Gecado 27 which averaged about 500 fps using Gamo Pro Hunter 7.56 gn pellets.
    Thanks for the welcoming.
    I have shoot an air gun the last time @ high school, which is now 22 years ago.
    I've bought the air gun mainly for practicing. I've always been part of SA Hunters and recently joined some shooting competitions and then discovered how bad I really shoot.
    With the springer I can practice right here at my house , therefore I want to fit the scope.
    The springer will also help to teach the children about rifles etc...

Do you have an scope on your Diana ?
    Is it worth it ?
    What speeds does your Diana reach ?
    I grew up with an old under-lever BSF which my brother inherited

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I use open sights on my Diana 25 and it get about 480 fps using Gamo 7.56 gn pellets. I would give all the metal work a wipe over with a cloth and some light oil.
    You can also check the barrel O ring seal if its leather give it a drop of oil. Your Gecado 27 version has better adjustable rear sights so you should manage well with open sights.
    Have a look in the Resources section some good info on shooting a springer air rifle. Be careful the air rifle bug will bite

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Scope Mounting on Gecado mod 27

I need some help and guidance to mount a scope on my newly acquired Gecado Mod 27
    The gecado does have a scope railing but it is very narrow
    See pics attached
    Any help would be appreciated

Administrator

User Info Menu

It's a standard 11.1mm dovetail so most mounts designed for airguns (SportsMatch, BKL etc) will fit.

The main caveat is that the rail is spot welded to the tube so do not use a heavy, big scope.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi guys

So instead of sourcing mounts for the scope I have, I managed to source the original Anschutz scope (4 x 15).
    This scope is in very good condition and also very light.

At what distance do I need to set it up for if I want to compete in competitions ?

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hi Ras,

I think the type of 'competition' you are considering would be the main determining factor for this.
    That said, I don't really think the Gecado 27 was really intended to be a 'competition' rifle. use it for plinking and practice as you initially suggested. Then I would look ate setting the scope at 15m, maybe 20m at a push (how long is your shooting area?)

Enjoy the start of something that is likely to grow into something much bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    Hi guys

So instead of sourcing mounts for the scope I have, I managed to source the original Anschutz scope (4 x 15).
    This scope is in very good condition and also very light.

At what distance do I need to set it up for if I want to compete in competitions ?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
    Hi Ras,

I think the type of 'competition' you are considering would be the main determining factor for this.
    That said, I don't really think the Gecado 27 was really intended to be a 'competition' rifle. use it for plinking and practice as you initially suggested. Then I would look ate setting the scope at 15m, maybe 20m at a push (how long is your shooting area?)

Enjoy the start of something that is likely to grow into something much bigger
    Hi Keith

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Yes the rifle was not intended for any competition but I thought while at it .............why not ?
    Why would you say 20m at max ? Is it cause the pellets is not consistent at that distance ? Surely the rifle can reach 30m ?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

You are going to be a highly frustrated competitor in any discipline with that rifle. Get your credit card ready to buy something fancy when you see the results of your fellow competitors.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GavinM View Post
    You are going to be a highly frustrated competitor in any discipline with that rifle. Get your credit card ready to buy something fancy when you see the results of your fellow competitors.
    Hi GavinM

I do understand that you cant compare this rifle to the newer models, but isn't there an competition for vintage-air-rifles ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    Hi GavinM

I do understand that you cant compare this rifle to the newer models, but isn't there an competition for vintage-air-rifles ?

There are members on this forum who enjoy shooting vintage air rifles , but they are sadly in the minority.

There may be some shooting clubs that have events for vintage air rifles , but I am not aware of any.

Some vintage air rifles are capable of very good accuracy indeed.

The average modern day air rifle shooter is just too "macho" to shoot with open sights and lower powered air rifles , they are also ashamed when they miss their target , they do not realise that misses are part and parcel of any shooting discipline.

No offence and disrespect intended to anyone of course , as everyone thinks differently , this is just my opinion.

Cheers.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Hey Rad
    Read up on Bell Target Shooting. It's a 6m event. I have a Gecado 27 that can put 4 out of 6 shots into a 9mm bull at 6m. And that's with open sights. Also look at doing some 10m competition shooting.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

i have learnt the hard way with Air rifle shooting. Always have a rifle that is better than you so you only have one thing that needs adjusting, "The Nut behind the Butt" If you are not sure of your rifle's performance then you will not know if the problem is a shooting technique or a rifle issue.

Another rule of springer shooting is to always have a PCP handy so that when the springer drives you insane because it does not do what you trying to do then you shoot your PCP to restore faith in yourself.

When you feeling cocky about how well you are shooting your PCP then you go back to the springer to bring you back to earth.....