Thread: Advice needed on Gecado Model-27

Cadet

User Info Menu

Default Advice needed on Gecado Model-27

Hi all!

My grandfather gave me this Gecado Model 27 air rifle shortly before he passed away recently.

I don't really have much interest in air rifles myself, and was hoping to sell it to someone who would appreciate and take better care of it than I can.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the wealth of information here and was hoping you guys would be able to help me figure out how much it may be worth.

I'm happy to provide more pics if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum liamthelaw

Nice little air rifle you have there. And a nice vintage scope as well. The Gecado 27 is regarded by many as one of the nicest shooting plinking air rifles ever produced. In very good condition, you could ask between R1500 and R2000. In fair to average condition expect between R1000 - R1500. I see yours has no front or rear sights installed? That will drive down the price unfortunately, as these are like hens teeth to get hold of, and aren't cheap, if you do find a set. Other than a bit of surface rust, and a couple of scuff marks on the stock, it looks to be in pretty decent shape. Does it still shoot well?

For interests sake, and for yourself, you can check the date of manufacture, by looking on the rear left of the receiver, right at the back in line with the trigger. You should see two sets of numbers, four numbers in total. The first two digits are the month, followed the next two, the year. This will give you the month and year of manufacture.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The Gecado 27 is a nice rifle and quite desirable , yours appears to be in good condition.
    The missing original open sights are a pity , this will lower the value of the rifle , and might be a deal breaker for some.
    The vintage Anschutz telescopic sight is nice as well.

Cheers.

Cadet

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Juniper, much appreciated!

Cadet

User Info Menu

Thank you for the welcome and great information GreenMamba! What you see is what I have, sadly I've no clue what became of the original sights.
    Checked the manufacturing date and it looks like this particular one is dated to October '71.
    I don't have any pellets to test it with, but just from cocking/shooting it it seems pretty slick.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Big noo noo... Do not cock and shoot the rifle without a pellet in the breech. Without a pellet to cause some back pressure, the piston slams into the front of the compression tube, damaging the piston seal, the piston itself, and possibly the compression tube in the process. It you find the need to cock the rifle, you can de-cock it by holding the barrel fully open with your free hand, holding it tightly, and pulling on the trigger with your other hand, releasing the sear. You can then slowly, and under pressure, bring the barrel back up to the closed position. DO NOT RELEASE THE BARREL WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGGER.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Dry firing your rifle just cost the price of a replacement seal and spring off the value........

REP: VariTurn Air Rifle Inc.
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

That's a nice piece of kit and looks in good nick. Any where between R600-1200 if scope is included R1500
    I am not collecting anymore but the are guys out there who are.