Thread: SIGHTRON 4-20X50 for Field Target / HFT ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default SIGHTRON 4-20X50 for Field Target / HFT ?

[FOR SALE] SIGHTRON S-TAC 4-20X50 ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Lovely scope for FT at a very good price.

SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    BOSS 2017

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit View Post
    Lovely scope for FT at a very good price.
    You mean HFT, right? You're not gonna range too well with a 20x scope ...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I would give it a try in an FT shoot. Yes I know optimal FT shooting ranges in the 10-50x60 or even a good Leapers 8-32x56 Accushot scope etc...etc... is not bad at all for FT...but at this price the Sightron STAC 4-20x50 is great value for money... with excellent glass for FT especially at that price and this scope is quite versatile and IMHO should do quite well on other rifles for a bit of hunting in the veld too. By the way I'd go for a much lesser scope for HFT especially because there is no ranging allowed in the HFT discipline...a 3-9 or 3-12x50 Airmax is more than enough for HFT.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

3-9 or 3-12x50 not suitable for HFT, you want a much smaller objective to get as much of the targets from 8m-40m in focus. 50mm objective to large for this purpose.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

@ Seahorse...What in your opinion would you say is suitable for HFT?

Please excuse the hijack Rashaadk.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Something with as little parallax error as possible, something in the lines of a X10 with a 36 or 42 mm objective .. I'll let the others elaborate

REP: VariTurn Air Rifle Inc.
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

As in the best for cars is more power so is best for scopes - more magnification. That's because my eyesight is crap and i cannot see the Road Cone in a Beetle

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

@ Jackrabbit.......There are two requirements in HFT for a suitable scope, first one depth of field, no adjustments can be made to any scope settings after you made your first shot and therefore a large depth of field is a requirement. You have to be able to see targets clearly from 8m-40m. For a scope to have a large depth of field one needs a small objective and a magnification of x10 or less. Second requirement, if you do not want to struggle with the 15mm kill zone on close targets, is to have the scope centreline close to the rifle bore. This again excludes large objective scopes.

The following scopes are very popular (by no means an exhaustive list):

MCT Viper connect 3-12x24 and 2-12x32 (detidacetd HFT scopes, only to be used on PCP as eye relief is minimal)
    Various scopes with 40mm objective in 3 to 16 x magnification, set at between 8 and 10 times magnification.
    MTC 10x44, Hawke 10x42
    Sightron 10x42
    Leupold 3-9x33 EFR (reticle not best for HFT, but can be upgraded to something with windage and hold over points by Leupold Custom Shop)
    Vortex PST 2.5-10x33 FFP my personal favourite
    Nightforce 2.5-10x24, more exotic but used by current World Champ

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    @ Jackrabbit.......There are two requirements in HFT for a suitable scope, first one depth of field, no adjustments can be made to any scope settings after you made your first shot and therefore a large depth of field is a requirement. You have to be able to see targets clearly from 8m-40m. For a scope to have a large depth of field one needs a small objective and a magnification of x10 or less. Second requirement, if you do not want to struggle with the 15mm kill zone on close targets, is to have the scope centreline close to the rifle bore. This again excludes large objective scopes.

The following scopes are very popular (by no means an exhaustive list):

MCT Viper connect 3-12x24 and 2-12x32 (detidacetd HFT scopes, only to be used on PCP as eye relief is minimal)
    Various scopes with 40mm objective in 3 to 16 x magnification, set at between 8 and 10 times magnification.
    MTC 10x44, Hawke 10x42
    Sightron 10x42
    Leupold 3-9x33 EFR (reticle not best for HFT, but can be upgraded to something with windage and hold over points by Leupold Custom Shop)
    Vortex PST 2.5-10x33 FFP my personal favourite
    Nightforce 2.5-10x24, more exotic but used by current World Champ

Fully agree with you on scope magnification for HFT.

I also give you the nod on your choice of scopes for HFT. As you put it...definitely not the be all and end all in HFT scopes but a good selection non the less. It just beckons the question though...It is well known that every individual focuses differently when they shoot...some guys wear contacts or spectacles and some guys just have poorer eyesight than the rest which brings me to the question of light entering the scopes objective diameter...If the concept surrounding objective diameter is: the wider it is, the more light is allowed into the scope to be transmitted to your eye then surely If one sticks to the same rig and as we in the sport of shooting put it "When you become one with your rifle/rig" surely a wider objective should not make that much of a difference. I almost want to reason in the opposite as well...over the years I have seen many guys like Andrew Barkley, JTK and many more mostly clear an HFT shoot without a scope on their rifle...once again the opposite also implies that If you are truely one with your rig then IMHO surely objective diameter is neither here nor there...be it smaller or larger or no scope at all.

This is just the way I seem to reason when it comes to objectives, magnification on scopes etc...If I've just missed the plot please enlighten me (pardon the pun Lol)

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

No one has ever cleared am HFT course in a league shoot in Cape Town with a rifle without a scope. Please post those results. It is clear that you do not have a grasp of the concept of depth of field. Please Google the subject and then make your comments from an informed base.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    No one has ever cleared am HFT course in a league shoot in Cape Town with a rifle without a scope. Please post those results. It is clear that you do not have a grasp of the concept of depth of field. Please Google the subject and then make your comments from an informed base.
    +1 Forum has as good as any explanation..

HFT scope choice ~ Air Rifle SA Forums - Page 7